Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Undisclosed feed

Murphy is another announced as undisclosed.

Now my understanding was that this was required and all clubs did it- yet I noticed yesterday Stoke signed a player and tweeted out the specific fee paid (7.2m euros). So can someone with more knowledge than me explain how/why they did that?

[quote user="king canary"]Murphy is another announced as undisclosed.

Now my understanding was that this was required and all clubs did it- yet I noticed yesterday Stoke signed a player and tweeted out the specific fee paid (7.2m euros). So can someone with more knowledge than me explain how/why they did that?[/quote]

because we are a Limited Company, only those trading on the stock market have to disclose high value financial events to the stock market, and therefore public knowledge

Okay so do all PLC''s have to disclose the fees when someone signs? Is there any examples of this? I''m not doubting you, just interested.

I remember Sporting having to tell the stock market about selling RVW for instance but don''t recall a UK equivalent.

[quote user="king canary"]Okay so do all PLC''s have to disclose the fees when someone signs? Is there any examples of this? I''m not doubting you, just interested.

I remember Sporting having to tell the stock market about selling RVW for instance but don''t recall a UK equivalent.[/quote]

there was some good articles about Pogba, when his move to Man Utd was done, Utd had to wait until Wall Street opened the following morning as they are listed on the NYSE, so even though the world knew about the details, offically man utd couldnt release those until the market opened.

just found this,

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/undisclosed-fees-become-common-premier-11830920

some good points there.

[quote user="king canary"]Okay so do all PLC''s have to disclose the fees when someone signs? Is there any examples of this? I''m not doubting you, just interested.

I remember Sporting having to tell the stock market about selling RVW for instance but don''t recall a UK equivalent.[/quote]
We are a public limited company, but we are not listed on a stock market, unlike, say Manchester United, so we don''t have to disclose big transactions that might affect the traded share price.

Gotcha.

Was just a bit thrown by Stoke specifically tweeting that price, although maybe dealing with a Portuguese club might make a difference?

Man U didn’t have to wait until the Stock Exhange opened in New York - it was officially announced at 1:30am UK time which is the evening in New York.

The timing was to generate maximum exposure in Asia and America.

Whether a club has to tell the stock exchange and about player sells depends on which country they are in and the regulations associated with the exchange they are listed in.

Man U have never had to tell NYSE about any transfers but Sporting did have to tell the Portuguese exhange about RVW (although I think that also related to the third party ownership details with him).

Stoke took the unusual decision to announce the fee, as clubs will tend to leave it ‘undisclosed’ even if they have no real reason to do so - largely as fees are often so variable will bonuses and clauses that the club don’t know the full cost at the time of announcement.

It may be Stoke announced it as it meant a release fee clause and requires the whole sum to be paid up front.

[quote user="king canary"]Gotcha.

Was just a bit thrown by Stoke specifically tweeting that price, although maybe dealing with a Portuguese club might make a difference?[/quote]
I should have made it clear I wasn''t only talking about transfers. As Bethnal says, Man Utd have apparently never had to release news of that kind of deal to the New York Stock Exchange. But, for example, they did tell the NYSE that van Gaal had been sacked as manager, because that was a decision involving arguably the most important executive position at the company that could influence how investors felt about the shares. And it did, because they went up!

Fees are more complicated than a one off sum these days anyway. I''d like to think that we''ve pocketed at least 10m with potential add ons reaping greater rewards