Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Loanee Strikers

Peeling off from the thread about home grown players and loanees, thought I''d see who might be an option moving forwards...

Oliver McBurnie, Swansea- Spent half of last season on loan at Barnsley and grabbed 9 goals in 17 games for a struggling team. 22 years old so still go time on his side but might even be available on a permanent deal if Swans don''t fancy him.

Adam Armstrong, Newcastle- Struggled at Championship level before but highly rated and scores goals for England U21''s. Had a decent spell on loan at Blackburn last season too.

Eddie Nketiah, Arsenal- Did us over in the league cup and has started playing for England u21''s. Not had much first team football but Lacazette and Aubamayang aren''t going anywhere so a loan may suit him.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Woodburn from Liverpool (recruited by Webber from his time there).

James Wilson from Man U - stuttered a bit in recent loans but fast.

Tottenham are looking to sell Shayon Harrison and despite not impressing last season he could be great with good coaching. Maybe Kazaiah Sterling also, but very young.

Lucas Nmecha at Man City.

Wilson always impresses me, wouldn''t be disappointed if he arrived.

Woodburn is still only 18. I accept he''s a good talent, but he''s only played 6 competitive games for Liverpool. Is he better than Abrahams and Idah who are doing well at the club already?

I''d prefer someone with a bit of Championship experience - not saying a journeyman, but someone who knows their way around the league and isn''t going to be over-awed by it.

On paper, Oliveira is that type of player - but I really don''t think he and Farke will ever see eye to eye and will probably leave this summer.

"Is he better than Abrahams and Idah who are doing well at the club already?"

Yes on the basis that he''s managed to grab 6 more appearances then them despite Liverpool being a much bigger club. He''s also made his way into the Welsh national team. Lad is clearly a huge talent.

King - is he good enough to get us 20 goals next season? Or to replace the goals we''re losing from Murphy and possibly Oliveira & Maddison? Tough ask for an 18 year old.

Who knows, but that is a very different question to ''is he better than Abrahams or Idah?''

Tammy Abraham tore up this league a couple of seasons ago without a single first team appearance to his name, so Woodburn already has more pedigree than him!

Mcburnie did well last season tho I can''t say I saw alot of him to say if he fits in our style

I can''t seen Swansea loaning him out as they may need him tho weren''t they after oliveira last season? Maybe if we can get them to swap him and a £million or so for oliveira...

I suspect Gerrard will get the pick of Liverpool loanees. But nketiah may be a good shout. Maybe Chu a akpom?? Tho not sure hes ever looked great on previous loans but may come good

Why does one player have to replace the goals from three outgoing players?

It isn’t like Norwich are only going to get one more player in, and if they were it wouldn’t be an 18 year old loanee. But someone like Woodburn, or Nkeitah, could be that extra something Norwich lacked in the previous season. Someone to come off the bench with pace and offer something else.

Didn''t McBurnie score against us for Barnsley? Tall lad as I recall with rolled down socks? If its him, he''s certainly got the physique for the Championship.

I agree though, it''d be good to see Abrahams and/or Idah be given the opportunity to be in the matchday squads. A lot depends on where Oliveira is, whether Srebny has a good pre-season and who we end up signing.

Angus Gunn hadn''t played a senior game until he joined us and he plays in a position where arguably you need to have more about you mentally as well. That seemed to go alright didn''t it?

I think we really need to utilise the loan market to max advantage this year to bridge the quality gap once we have sold/moved on the high earners. We can then wait for our own youth players to blend in or look at loan with a view to a permanent like Leitner looks like becoming and still potentially Reed.

Obviously we don''t want it like the Roeder era where it seemed to be nothing but loans and a lot of players that didn''t seem to care enough but one or 2 real talents from the big boys looking for that big break would be incredibly smart business by us. Look at how well Bertrand did with us for instance or Ched Evans.

I know it is seen as a temporary solution to a permanent problem but I don''t think it is necessarily a permanent problem anyway. A year with a loanee striker and then next season we could either buy them once a rapport is built and they are a bit more proven, wait until a good deal comes about for a lower league talent/ someone from the championship running out of contract or the likes of Idah or Abrahams or Morris may be ready after a bit more experience.

i think it is time to buy not loan

we have a little money with the sale of Murphy and Maddison when he goes

If we loan someone that money goes and then we have no asset to sell

i think we should buy someone who we can improve and maybe sell on

Remember if we do have any profit left it will go to the tax man anyway so better to buy than loan

if we do loan someone he has to improve our team if not we might as well improve our own players

I would prefer to play Idah instead of a untried player from a PL team

If we''re looking for a young forward who would fit into our system seamlessly, then I''d rather we tried to get Liverpool''s Harry Wilson. Admittedly there''s lots of competition for him.

Or if ex-Spurs youngster Keanan Bennetts isn''t likely to start for Borussia Monchengladbach, get him in. Superb player!

Davitt & Bailey were suggesting we might be in for someone with an unpronounceable name (I think there were a lot of s''s & not many vowels) who''s just had a deal fall through abroad. They seemed quite keen; anybody identify him?

[quote user="ron obvious"]Davitt & Bailey were suggesting we might be in for someone with an unpronounceable name (I think there were a lot of s''s & not many vowels) who''s just had a deal fall through abroad. They seemed quite keen; anybody identify him?[/quote]
Good podcast, they were talking about Marvin Duchsch

[quote user="ron obvious"]Davitt & Bailey were suggesting we might be in for someone with an unpronounceable name (I think there were a lot of s''s & not many vowels) who''s just had a deal fall through abroad. They seemed quite keen; anybody identify him?[/quote]

A certain Dutch striker springs to mind...

Ta Molly.

According to Wiki it''s spelt Ducksch, which doesn''t make it any more pronounceable (although if he comes you could always think of duck school as a mnemonic? ... ).

Looks quite impressive. Certainly had a good last season - 18 in 33. Not too shabby.

He''s the striker we were interested in a week or two ago and I got to quite thinking that he ticked a few boxes for us.

Inexpensive youth international who is the right age, the right price and developing a reputation as being a bit of a poacher and therefore exciting interest generally.

His credentials seem better than those of Dennis the Mennis.

He, like Biendia, could come off big time or just fade into the back-up room, but that''s our lot at this moment in time.

Although he apparently expressed a wish to play in England he eventually seemed to go local. If this move has fallen through I expect us to be back in there.

A bit of a beanpole, he even looks like Peter Crouch in his Wiki photograph.

Yep! I hope we remain interested and that we land him, but an older head experienced in the ways of the English/Championship game would need to be acquired as well, imo, as I''m hoping Oliveira is soon to be on his bicicleta.

Back on topic, this last could be a loanee .... Lewis Grabban anybody?

Loan players you either get a Gunn , Reed or a harry Kane ( when he was here ) or a little Messi it is a Minefield

who ever we loan has to be far better than we already have or not worth the gamble

Is a permanent signing any less of a minefield? Same challenges apply, just slightly different risks.

Ducksch available for £3m. At least that''s what this Bild article apparently says. Possibly. I just love these Google translations:

by: THOMAS DIERENGA published on

13.06.2018 - 22:59 clock

Turning to poker for Marvin Ducksch (24)?

The last awarded to Kiel striker wants to leave St. Pauli, change to Bundesliga promoted Fortuna Dusseldorf. But an agreement of the clubs is not in sight. That''s why Fortuna is now looking elsewhere.

Does Ducksch have no luck with Fortuna?

Overall, only 4 million for new in Dusseldorf''s box office, Pauli demands for top scorer Ducksch (18 hits / contract until 2019) 2.5 to 3 million in the market, for Fortuna but probably too much. Therefore, the up-and-comers with the Finn Teemo Pukki (28, Brondby IF) meanwhile have a free striker on the radar. In addition to the ex-Schalke also Luka Zahovic (22, NK Maribor) seems of interest.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Ducksch available for £3m. At least that''s what this Bild article apparently says. Possibly. I just love these Google translations:

by: THOMAS DIERENGA published on

13.06.2018 - 22:59 clock

Turning to poker for Marvin Ducksch (24)?

The last awarded to Kiel striker wants to leave St. Pauli, change to Bundesliga promoted Fortuna Dusseldorf. But an agreement of the clubs is not in sight. That''s why Fortuna is now looking elsewhere.

Does Ducksch have no luck with Fortuna?

Overall, only 4 million for new in Dusseldorf''s box office, Pauli demands for top scorer Ducksch (18 hits / contract until 2019) 2.5 to 3 million in the market, for Fortuna but probably too much. Therefore, the up-and-comers with the Finn Teemo Pukki (28, Brondby IF) meanwhile have a free striker on the radar. In addition to the ex-Schalke also Luka Zahovic (22, NK Maribor) seems of interest.[/quote]
Ron, euros rather than pounds, I think, although at the current (post Brexit referendum result...[:P]) rate that is not so much different. My guess is that we could afford that, if we really thought he was the real deal, and probably his wages, The question is probably whether another Bundesliga club fancies him.

If his real preference was to stay in Germany and he didn''t really fancy us the first time, I think we should look elsewhere.

Didn''t we have to persuade Naismith to come?

Zahovic? who knows much about him? suspect he may be out of our price range

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]Zahovic? who knows much about him? suspect he may be out of our price range[/quote]
Davitt has written a piece on three strikers he thinks might be on our radar, although whether he has just trawled through various leagues and come up with the names or whether he has been given a bit of a steer from inside ot outside the club is not obvious. He doesn''s mention Zahovic, but it would be ironic if we were interested in him as well as Fortuna Dusseldorf supposedly being so.

I kno a few weeks ago on the scrimmage they had a German football expert with 5 possible transfer suggestions for us.. wouldn''t be surprised if this is just copying what he suggested but then maybe I''m being cynical in my old age.

Is there anyone in the squad who might do a good job if switched to a striker roll? In theory naismith should be an option but has always been shit (shitter) in that position than normal.

I would try yanic wildschutt upfront a little in pre season. Big strong powerful with good pace, has a good strong shot and movement is good and will happily go wide too which lone strikers need to do. Can''t do any harm trying him.

Doubt there is any inside knowledge on Paddy’s piece. Especially as he metions Park Yi-Young, who’d never get a work permit to play in the Championship. I think he’s just been trawling WhoScored for highly rated players.

It looks like classic off-season space filler to me - although some of the names he has come up with are good players who could probably do a good job for Norwich. Diego Johannesson or Sam Hendriks are both good shouts.