Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Josh Murphy

If Josh and Maddison go we will need to bring in some British (or is it English?) players for the quota, won''t we? You''d like to think we are in negotiations with some already but Webber has done well keeping his cards close to his chest in most dealings so far

I think it''s a shocking bit of business if true and have said so elsewhere. It''s hard trying to stand in the way of a player if he wants to go, but I certainly think our fans treatment of Josh has been pretty terrible and McNally saying something like ''Be careful what you wish for'' is also quite indicataive (polls on this very site, anyone??). You can''t blame the lad.Josh gets a lot of stick from the people around me and I almost got in a fight with a guy at one game (when sat in a different seat for a cup game) who was completely wasted, aggressive and kept moaning about everything to do with the club (including frequent jibes towards Josh). He tried to tell me I was the problem with this football club (or at least people like me, who still have some sort of positivity left in them!)Anyway. There you are... I still have hope that our players/staff etc will come good this season but it''s getting increasingly more difficult to remain positive... I''ll try though! OTBC [:D]

I can only assume that Stewart Webber has a plan and he believes that he can reinvest the money so that it is more beneficial to the squad. Selling Murphy, Maddison and Oliveira is a huge risk.

Assuming they all go, that would leave us with:

Strikers: Srbeny and Morris (injured).

Wingers: Hernandez, Watkins, Jarvis (presumably injured) Wildschut... Can Stiepermann play LW?

Attacking Midfielders: Buendia, Cantwell, Naismith... Vrancic?

In an ideal world, to replace them, we would:

1) Get two strikers.

2) Sell Watkins, Jarvis, Wildschut and Naismith (I can dream).

3) Buy two wingers.

I''m not a fan of saying ''Buendia and Cantwell can play on the wing''. It''s too weak for a club with even the faintest ambitions of getting promoted to use that excuse - especially when neither have played in the Championship.

I can''t remember who asked, but Murphy and Hernandez did start together - at home vs Reading. That was one of the few games we have played with width, direct and at pace. Oh, we also scored three goals.

Fingers crossed Webber knows what he is doing.

If you listen to the board mouth piece, Mr Bailey, he frequently talks of a financial black hole and fees getting paid in stages. I have no real hope that we will invest in the quality needed up front and it''s beginning to look bleak for next year. Really hope Webber knows what he is doing too... He needs to back up his arrogance with results

That''s a bit unfair on Michael Bailey. I''ve always found his reporting to be honest and balanced and not afraid to say when something is rotten.

Agreed with Herman.

@Mike, also a bit harsh on Webber. Its the beginning of the transfer window and who knows what he''s thinking. He surprised everyone with a few of his transfers last year.

Really? We saw glimpses but none of the signings got close to Maddison .. they were what I expected of 2nd tier cheap options...hoping like Iwan they come good second year in.

Webber said he needed 3 tranfer windows , this is his third... After this summer we will know if he is as good as he thinks he is...I hope he is..

its not just the 20 goals that Maddison and Murphy add to that the chances they created for us and it weakens us a lot more

i think Murphy will do a Redmond and do well leading to a bigger transfer say to a Newcastle or a mid table PL team

he is English and like others have said we struggled last season with the English / British rule

I think out of the approx 35 million coming in we will spend 7 to 10 million straighten the team

If this goes through I''m pleased Josh will have his chance in the PL - and am also pleased we have the chance to find someone who can keep the ball, deliver decent crosses on target and shoot a bit more accurately more often.   Josh has the talent and may well shine enough to keep Cardiff in the PL, but for a championship team aiming for at least play offs next year, we need players who are reliable, consistent and make good decisions all the time. Promotion form needs momentum built on consistency of performance and harsh though it sounds, we didn''t get that from Josh last season. 
If you liken it to our promotion seasons, think of  Bradley Johnson on the left, hardly the most skilful player, but effective over a whole season to the point of brilliance. Imo players like Josh are a bit of a luxury - fine for making an impact in a low to middle PL side to help them to 40 points, but not consistent or reliable enough over a whole season to help keep the momentum of a team going for promotion from the championship. 
We are going down a more technical way of playing and whoever takes his place on the left next season will be key to our success.  It may even be that we don''t play with any out and out wide players, although Hernandez definitely looks as if he has what it takes to be a kind of "Wildschut with skill" kind of player.  We will have wing backs who will get forwards, especially if we play three CB''s - and a good collection of midfielders will keep the ball well and deliver incisive passes, so Josh will not be missed that much (imo). 
Good luck to him though, if this goes through - his talent is there in flashes and he will get his moments of glory in the top flight.

One thing I never understood about this ''we can''t invest as we only get paid in stages!'' excuse - is that surely we would look to pay for purchases in stages too?

Theoretically it shouldn''t really make any difference. Am I missing something painfully obvious?

We don''t need wingers if we are playing wing backs, which makes more sense with our set up. I expect Hernandez and Lewis to fit in that role.

Both of the Murphys have been brilliant for us and it''s sad to see people on here having a last dig at Josh as they did with his brother. These two, along with Maddison are a great tribute to our production team and will mean that many more talented young players will be happy to chose our club over others

Good too that this is done before selling Maddison as it will show that we are not desperate to sell.

Good luck and thanks, Josh.

Seen various reports of 10+ or 11 mill for Josh, but the only guy who sourced this fairly early on Sunday on a twitter feed (and on this occasion got the info  bang on) today twiittered that the fee is 12.5 mill, rising to 15 if Cardiff stay up.
This could be right or wrong of course, but he was spot on with his info about Josh to Cardiff.

Selling all our young, developing, English and best players only means one thing and that is we won''t be getting anywhere near promotion next season.
Ja Murphy, Pritchard and now Jo Murphy and doubtless Maddison in the next few weeks.
The only reason they want to leave now is because they know that their only chance of playing in the PL is to take the route one approach and get out on a transfer asap.
And Lewis, who has great potential, and is already worth a few quid, won''t be hanging around here for very long either.
And there was me thinking that the priority was to get rid of the old deadwood who are on high wages but presumably there isn''t a very long queue of Clubs that are daft enough to want them.

We will have wing backs who will get forwards, especially if we play three CB''s - and a good collection of midfielders will keep the ball well and deliver incisive passes, so Josh will not be missed that much (imo).

LDC i hope you are right

BUT i can not see how this season is all of a sudden going to be great ,Farke could of played that tactic and had last success last season if so why did it not work ? what will make the drastic turn around in form ? i can not see it happening

£11 million is a good bit of business on our part to my mind.
He has never looked like he has the mental strength to be a top player.
On occasion he has looked brilliant.
Most of the time he looks average.
Some of the time he doesn''t look bothered.

[quote user="Mike "]If you listen to the board mouth piece, Mr Bailey, he frequently talks of a financial black hole and fees getting paid in stages. I have no real hope that we will invest in the quality needed up front and it''s beginning to look bleak for next year. Really hope Webber knows what he is doing too... He needs to back up his arrogance with results[/quote]Sorry Mike but got to agree with the others who think you''re being a bit harsh. He often criticises the Board, albeit in a diplomatic manner.Compared to the army of '' suck-ups '' who''ve reported on the Canaries over the years he''s not one of those who toes the party line every time he pens something. 

Good piece of business imho.

Josh is inconsistent and frustrating as hell hes 23 so should be well past his immaturity.

Time to thank him for his hard work and pocket the cash.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Well I guess we can play Watkins on the wing or maybe Naismith?[/quote]

You really cannot be serious

2 donkeys who should be earning a living on Yarmouth beach

We may get transfer fees in stage payments- but that''s a cr@p and stupid excuse from someone supposedly in the know!

So do we pay everyone the full price up front, and everyone else pays us in instalments - if we do we are complete mugs! I don''t think even we lack that much business sense!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Good piece of business imho.

Josh is inconsistent and frustrating as hell hes 23 so should be well past his immaturity.

Time to thank him for his hard work and pocket the cash.[/quote]]

If this sale goes through then this club has shown its true colours

No Ambition and lower ranks of the Championship for the foreseeable future

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Mike "]If you listen to the board mouth piece, Mr Bailey, he frequently talks of a financial black hole and fees getting paid in stages. I have no real hope that we will invest in the quality needed up front and it''s beginning to look bleak for next year. Really hope Webber knows what he is doing too... He needs to back up his arrogance with results[/quote]Sorry Mike but got to agree with the others who think you''re being a bit harsh. He often criticises the Board, albeit in a diplomatic manner.Compared to the army of '' suck-ups '' who''ve reported on the Canaries over the years he''s not one of those who toes the party line every time he pens something.  [/quote]

All opinions, be borng and if we were all the same. ..

He has probably realised that a better coach at a different Club is going to turn him into a better player. Something that Denial Freak has been unable to do.

[quote user="daly"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Good piece of business imho.

Time to thank him for his hard work and pocket the cash.[/quote]]

If this sale goes through then this club has shown its true colours

No Ambition and lower ranks of the Championship for the foreseeable future[/quote]

I saw my first game in 1963 and Ron Davies was my hero. Two seasons later we sold him and we have been selling our best players ever since. That''s what we do.

Big fan of both but neither have lived up to the hype generated from the cup win, brilliant bit of business if the figures being thrown around are accurate.

Jacob was sold off the back of a very strong season, Josh can''t say the same.

A fresh challenge will hopefully work wonders for him. Very happy, and surprised, with the price being bounded about and hopefully it''ll allow Webber to do some effective business.

Not sure Cardiff fans will be too excited though.

It''s only a ''good bit of business'' if we actually improve the quality of the squad with the money received. Or, at the very least, not lessen it.

10/11 million is only good business if reinvested in the playing squad

if it is used wisely than that''s fine but waste it on loaning players like little messi etc will be a waste

hoping to see some young english players coming in