Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Josh Murphy

I don’t think the fans are against the board. It seems we are entirely comfortable with another era of mid-table mediocrity, at best, akin to our lack of ambition.

Totally agree Hogesar - if people don''t think he got more vocal criticism than other players, they must not sit in the Barclay.

Players like Oliveira, who contributed minimally last season, seem relatively immune from criticism whereas others like Murphy, Vrancic etc. seem to bear the brunt even though their contribution was generally much higher.

It''s always been that way though, but I''m guessing some players (particularly home grown, younger players) are more affected by the negativity than others.

It was clearly a factor in Murphy moving on this window, but I''m also certain it wasn''t a major factor either and Webber is probably making the most of the opportunity.

Russell Martin when playing took far more stick than Murphy

Still can''t believe we sold him but is indicative of the lack of ambition shown by the stowmarket 2

Delia out stinking rich Arab owner in

Each persons view will be coloured by those around you though- for me Murphy got a lot of stick but Nelson got loads from those around me in the South Stand.

I can hand-on-heart say that Murphy has got more stick than other players in the last two seasons despite being one of the better one''s. I''ve heard direct abuse, stupid pee-taking and more.

I think Russell Martin may disagree with that statement

He definitely got stick - some for making the wrong decision and some for not doing what the fans wanted (i.e. beat 4 players and ping it in the top corner).

As mentioned, the traditional winger (Dale Gordon, Louie Donowa) would not be successful in the current NCFC squad. Our play is based on possession, and, by the nature of the way he plays, this doesn''t come naturally to Murphy (nor did it to Redmond or even Huckerby).

I sense that a lot of the time, he was also frustrated by the need to cut inside and lay the ball off to Maddison, Vrancic etc, rather than try to take a player on with the natural risk that he might lose possession.

[quote user="Woodman"]

I sense that a lot of the time, he was also frustrated by the need to cut inside and lay the ball off to Maddison, Vrancic etc, rather than try to take a player on with the natural risk that he might lose possession.[/quote]
Maybe, but any player on the pitch ought to be able to hold on to possession. What was frustrating to watch was that when he did take on his man, he invariably got brushed off the ball so easily.  Occasionally he got through, but then spoiled it with a poor ball, or a wild shot.  Even so, his pace did work sometimes to produce a goal and that of course is good, but for a team aiming for promotion, it didn''t happen often enough.  It is a tough job being a winger, but whether it is Murphy, Snodgrass or anyone, they have to get it right - for the team.  
The aim last season was at least play offs and the combinations we had up front - invariably involving Josh and Oliveira were largely inneffective.  That has to change next season and if we had kept both of them, who is to say it would have been any different next season?  New players in, a fresh chance to get it right - and Josh gets his chance to shine in the PL.

@LDC

Your consistent criticism of players who actually play well for us like Murphy and Snodgrass, while consistently defending the likes of Naismith and RVW who''ve been actively awful is one of the more baffling aspects of this forum.

[quote user="king canary"]@LDC

Your consistent criticism of players who actually play well for us like Murphy and Snodgrass, while consistently defending the likes of Naismith and RVW who''ve been actively awful is one of the more baffling aspects of this forum.[/quote]
Josh and Jacob were terrific for us as they grew through the club, but that doesn''t exempt them from criticism.  Snodgrass I could see through from the moment I started to watch him play and never liked his approach to a team game. As for Naismith and RVW, well maybe I just like to defend those who have shown good ability elsewhere and are struggling - they obviously had something about them before and given the right circumstances could do it again.

The only circumstances under which those two bozos might succeed would be if they underwent gender re-assignment and had a tilt at the women''s game.

And even then I wouldn''t rate RvW''s chances against a burly CB.

It just bizarre you seem far less critical of those who have ''shown they have something about them'' elsewhere than those who have shown it here, in a Norwich shirt.

[quote user="king canary"]It just bizarre you seem far less critical of those who have ''shown they have something about them'' elsewhere than those who have shown it here, in a Norwich shirt.[/quote]
But we all want success and by any stretch of the imagination, we were not successful last season in getting to the play offs and Josh was instrumental in that and we certainly weren''t successful the season Snodgrass took it on himself to be the main man, never once made a cross early enough that RVW could attack. Criticism due where it''s due imo.
Anyhow,  RVW and Naismith were our players as much as Josh and Snodgrass - all there to be criticised if they fell short - and imo they all did!

You''re deranged.

We also weren''t successful last season when Naismith played a whole bunch and yet you defended him to the hilt. Same with RVW.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 13/06/2018 12:47 PM:

Van wink wrote:
I''m afraid Josh took up the mantle of whipping boy after Nathan left.
And Snoddy before him. Why is it always wingers Winky?

Perhaps like City 1st, they are misunderstood.

[quote user="king canary"]You''re deranged.

We also weren''t successful last season when Naismith played a whole bunch and yet you defended him to the hilt. Same with RVW.[/quote]
No need for insults. The season Naismith played a fair bit was a mixed affair right enough, but we scored masses of goals that season only let down by our defending.  Naismith struggled to find his best form right enough, but he showed intelligent movement and tried to link play - and he scored five goals in the league, only one less than Josh.  
You can find fault with any player and you can find good things in most players too, but on balance I think Naismith and RVW were not good fits for us, but they were still our players and deserving of support.  Josh of course deserved support too - but he was not effective enough last season....imo.

You say he''s deserving of support but your posts about him have been nothing but negative.

In my world the players actually doing things well on the pitch are far more deserving of support than failures like Naismith and RVW.

You also defeat your own argument when you say we scored ''loads of goals'' the season before, the highlight that Naismith got less goals in that free scoring team than Josh has managed in a season where goals have been much harder to come by.

[quote user="king canary"]You say he''s deserving of support but your posts about him have been nothing but negative.

In my world the players actually doing things well on the pitch are far more deserving of support than failures like Naismith and RVW.

You also defeat your own argument when you say we scored ''loads of goals'' the season before, the highlight that Naismith got less goals in that free scoring team than Josh has managed in a season where goals have been much harder to come by.[/quote]
I''ve said several times over several different threads that Josh has talent and on his day is good to watch - but those days were few and far between.  It''s criticism. Nothing more, nothing less. 
Supporting players such as Naismith, RVW, Surman, Wilbraham, Morison who are or were being villified on social media is something else - it''s more to do with trying to put forward a more balanced view....not something that goes down very well on social media.

Based on what Warnock has just said about his budget Josh will be back playing against us in the Championship in a year anyway.....if we stay up.

Josh has the ability to be a great player, if coached and managed correctly, far more so than Jacob, IMHO.

I think he will either do exceptionally well next season or terribly, I don’t expect there to be any middle ground. Warnock and the Cardiff fans will have big expectations, having spent what looks to be a large slice of their transfer budget on him.

He’ll sink or swim and personally, I hope he does well, partly just to stick two fingers up at the fans here who were always on his back.

@Clint

Can''t see why anyone would wish he does anything other than well. A young lad who broke through from the youth team, conducted himself well and earned a move to the top league.

I hate this culture on twitter and the suchlike of calling anyone who leaves us as a snake or similar.

I thought both Murphy brothers got unfair criticism but then there has always been a good % of Norwich fans that have very limited patience.

To get c£25m for two youth products is outstanding. Shame we didn’t see them mature into the talents they could be, would love to have seen both play regularly off a powerful striker but alas not to be.

It will be interesting to see whether we bring in the same type of player to replace josh or if Farke will now go for a different formation approach. I can’t really picture what our best side is yet but early days

[quote user="sgncfc"]Based on what Warnock has just said about his budget Josh will be back playing against us in the Championship in a year anyway.....if we stay up.[/quote]
Warnock has been around the block & is not stupid enough to say he''s got loads of cash to splash which would only inflate the price of players he''s interested in.
He''s already signed another so take what he says with a pinch of salt.
Looks like he saw enough of Wilschut not to want him back.
There''s a surprise.