Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Josh Murphy

Great bit of business if we get over 10 million for a 23 year old that has not improved over the last 2 seasons.
7 goals is not great for an attacking wide player but 2 assists all season is appalling.
115 shots, half of those from outside the box and only one shot inside the six yard area
Does not have the talent to be the silky attacking ball player that he thinks he is as there is rarely an end product and does not have the bottle to get in where it hurts and get his foot onto the end of things.
Harsh? Maybe, but that is the way I see it

Seven goals is pretty decent considering only one player managed more for us.

Assists is a meaningless stat- you get one for a 2 yard pass that someone else spanks in from 25 yards but you can play a delicious slide rule pass or a perfect cross and not get one if the bloke on the other end cocks it up. He actually created the 4th most chances of anyone last season, behind Maddison, Vrancic and Wes.

Also I have no idea why shooting in the 6 yard box is at all relevant.

You''re right that £11m actually is a decent price for him all things considered- but our fans are very harsh on him.

It''s certainly the case that Josh hasn''t ''come on'' in the way we''d hoped, he only seems to show fleeting glimpses of the player we thought he could be - perhaps he''ll come in again if he moves on. Imo his return of 7 goals last season isn''t really any better than ''ok'' as he often played as a front man rather than a winger. £10m-£11m is a decent price for us to get.

[quote user="king canary"]Just announced officially by the club now.

Fee, as always, is undisclosed.

Bit gutted I must say.[/quote]

Same here

.. if Maddison was staying ... but he is not Massively weaker than last season at the moment.

So you think selling Murphy (11 goals in 47) and Maddison (14 goals in 49) is going to help solve our lack of goals and you are genuinely confident that the current owners, Webber and Farke are going to give us a more competitive team than last year? if yes what makes you think that? I get selling players is something every club does but they tend to get better not worse squads....

Confirmed then, hopefully we have some replacements in mind. I''m not overly negative but it seems we are slowly losing the ''exciting'' players we once had in the squad!

If Maddison leaves it would be pretty difficult to deny we''re weaker on paper than last season. However our new signings are mainly complete unknowns in this league so we''ll see...

All part of the levelling down process. Long years of mediocrity lie ahead. Never mind, it''s not like we haven''t been here before.

quote - "Mike "So you think selling Murphy (11 goals in 47) and Maddison (14 goals in 49) is going to help solve our lack of goals and you are genuinely confident that the current owners, Webber and Farke are going to give us a more competitive team than last year? if yes what makes you think that? I get selling players is something every club does but they tend to get better not worse squads....quote

Err, no, of course not (answer to your first question)

It is just blindingly obvious that it is only the start of the transfer season, and we are not in a position to dictate every transfer, involving our players.

So, moaning about the fact we are weaker, because of Murphy going (and more than likely , Madders) is a waste of your day, until we have our squad finalized, for the season. Then, and only then, should you waste your breath on having a rant, as none of us on here, despite what we all think, are in a position to influence the incomings, and outgoings.

To answer your second point, I don''t know, (but see above)...............

To answer your third point, Clubs like us, sometimes have to take one step back, to take two forward.

I stay ever hopeful.

As someone who criticised our recruitment last season, I am a bit sceptical about the Webber/Farke partnership losing Murphy, Hoolahan and possibly Maddison and replacing them with slightly less talented (and don''t get on my case about xenophobia) German 3rd division players.

If the income from sales is not going to be used for new signings then I think we need to promote from within.

But my overall worry is that we are going to be a stale, robotic and predictable outfit.

Please allay my fears DF.

Good luck to Josh.
Still think its a cracking bit of business for the club though.
£10 million + for a player who only ever showed real talent in very brief glimpses.

Mixed feelings about this. In summary: We are weaker as a team. We lose a fast paced player. He was rarely the finished article. We have 11m to plug or re-invest. At least we have assets to sell. And I doubt we can bring in the quality to replace. We could be in for a period of mediocrity. We have been here before haven''t we? Selling our assets. The proof will be those first 12 games of the season.

And a question lingers in the back of my mind....will Farke stay? He has said more than once about keeping a settled team in place next season. Did he expect Josh to leave? Is he 100% behind the change?

Lots of interesting points Sonyc

I wonder if Farke might be OK with this if it allows him to keep players like Klose and Pinto for another year and add in other areas.

We''d already signed one wide player in January in Hernandez and Bundia seems to be another who can play that sort of role. Murphy was good last season but did seem more suited to playing in a team that wanted proper wingers rather than Farke''s more narrow structure.

Im disappointed to see him leave but approximately 75% of the fans around me shouldn''t dare complain, they spent most of last season shouting abuse or booing him.

Must be a great dilemma for some on here - whether to moan about the player or moan about the club for selling him.

Turns out that he wanted to leave because of the abuse he was getting. So booing probably had something to do with his under par performances and the team''s worsened home form.

A good lesson on the effect of negativity.

"Turns out that he wanted to leave because of the abuse he was getting."

And you''re basing this statement on what?

Good luck to him - if he can improve his decision making and play with his head up with better awareness of players around him, then he will go on to bigger and better things.

Webber''s comments are a bit uncalled for: ''Josh has had some difficult times at the Club and hasn''t always been every fan''s favourite,...''. He''s right of course, and undoubtedly refer to the exasperation from fans at a missed chance or poor pass, but does he really think that by saying that, those that have been booing will suddenly think ''Oh, I''ll stop doing that now!''?!

Webber seems unable to just sell a player without making some sort of excuse as to why they had to go- I think most people have accepted that this is a Premier League club paying a good price for him, doesn''t really need to be much more to it than that.

Won''t surprise me if when Maddison goes there will be some insinuation that he forced the move or some other excuse.

Webber made the same sort of comment last year about his brother and why would he want to make excuses?

Don''t you think we should get behind our young players and perhaps they might play even better and not want to leave?

You can see some people on here can''t resist having one last dig - poor show on the "fans" Can''t we sell some of them?

So ''turns out he wanted to leave because of the abuse'' isn''t actually a thing? It is just from Webber saying ''he wasn''t every fans favorite?''

I''ve always backed Josh and would agree he came in for some unwarranted stick. But the pious on here can''t help but get hyperbolic about it.

Where did Webber make an ''excuse''?

He has had difficult times - fact

He has worked hard - fact

Substantial fee - fact

It''s just how it is, his comments are generally very positive about Josh and he''s not making an excuse. Nor does he have to.

Every fan will have their own ideas on what Josh gave to City, but for me, if ever there was a right time to sell him, it was now, and to get such a good fee for the lad was a bonus indeed. He watched his twin leave for Newcastle a year ago, gave us a season more from him, but like any sane young footballer, be offered a chance at Prem football on a good wage and you dont think twice about it.
Madders of course will no doubt be away soon as well, then perhaps the dust will settle and most City fans can begin to look toward the new season. Already we have McClean and Buendia to look forward to seeing, im interested also how many of the young loanees can play a part in the forthcoming season and of course im sure we will be seeing 1 or 2 more new faces  join the club between now and August 9th.
Wish Josh all the best at Cardiff. Am i sad to see him go? I dunno, i remember being very sad when Ron Davies left Carrow Road, so i guess after watching comings and goings over the decades it pretty much feels a normal thing to see a young lad like Josh move on. OTBC.