Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Josh Murphy

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]Somewhat surprised considering how patchy his season was. Could possibly be an agent (or even Norwich) trying to stir up some interest.
[/quote]
It''s rarely the latter, as they are all well aware of who is who without these stories - look how we signed Buneous Aires
It us usually the media trying to drum up interest.
After all, why would Brighton contact some obscure media outlet to announce their interest ?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Firesale continues.[/quote]
Not in this case. A player from a previous regime being sold on at a huge profit is no firesale. If Murphy goes, it will be good business for us and a fresh challenge for him.  No negativity in it at all!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Reportedly Brighton and Fulham interested, so how much should he go for?  £10m? [/quote]He''s as good as Jacob so I imagine a similar price. How much did he go for?

Josh is a year older and didn''t have as an impressive league season. I''d imagine it''ll be a good few million less than Jacob''s fee if he were to move this summer.

Jacob has hardly set the world alight at Newcastle, never a regular starter and just one goal in twenty five appearances.

With Josh eventually deemed the lesser of the two I would say that £10m is ambitious.

Jacob by far best of the twins £12m overpaid by Newcastle. £10m for Josh will be overpaying for Josh one decent game every four games. There must be cheaper, better options for flanking players abroad Hernandez for example already looks more impressive than JoshM.

I would be very surprised if a Prem club came in for him. Certainly far from a finished article, and arguably his brother who was consistently better has struggled to make an impact at that level. Norwich would also be foolish to sell given we''ve not replaced Pritchard and only got Onel to play there, and then Jarvis... And maybe Naismith...

Josh has a lot of work to do to play better next season, in truth when in form he''s easily our best outlet but needs to do that consistently.

Buendia is the Pritchard replacement, but still short of wide players - although no certainty that Farke will player wingers.

If Josh learns to make better decisions and plays with his head up he could be a fantastic player. Has the ability to beat most defenders and good technical ability. Just needs to stop shooting from the centre circle, look to play others in more and punish opposition teams more when he gets into dangerous positions.

I can see that some Prem clubs might be interested in him. Would be a tough decision for Norwich should some firm offers be made. Need the home grown players and now at least one club grown player in every match day squad.

That''s pretty much how I see him, Bethnal (along with a huge shot of confidence required) but when will we see that? He has had quite a lot of game time, and he still suffers on all those facets you mention. By now, one or two of those should really be eradicated, if he is to make it ''big''.

So Josh had an average/poor season.

........ Josh is a year older and didn''t have as an impressive league season. I''d imagine it''ll be a good few million less than Jacob''s fee if he were to move this summer........

....... Jacob by far best of the twins £12m overpaid by Newcastle. £10m for Josh will be overpaying for Josh one decent game every four games. There must be cheaper, better options for flanking players abroad Hernandez for example already looks more impressive than JoshM.......

(I doubt if Hernandez will prove to be very good at all and certainly nowhere near as good as Josh)

Josh certainly attracts criticism.

Meanwhile he had -

7 goals (only Maddison and Oliveira scored more)

3 assists (only Maddison had more)

and his brother at Newcastle had 1 goal and 1 assist.

As they say ..... you never miss it until you haven''t got it.

Josh Murphy is a good footballer and better than most players we have, otherwise he would not have been picked as often as he has been. It will be to our detriment to move him on.

One tip on assessing a good attacker. Watch who his team mates try to find to give the ball to and remember the feeling you get when they get it. I certainly felt very little when we gave it to Oliveira, Watkins, Srbney or any of the midfield except Maddison and Wes. Josh was certianly one of our biggest threats last season ...... as is shown by the stats.

You are Correct Yellow Wall, but has Josh reached the pinnacle of his career, and is he at the top of his (our) transfer fee potential?

Gets far more stick than he deserves and is capable of being a major threat, particularly at championship level imo.

He can be frustrating but there is a very good player in there and I would be disappointed if he went as well as Maddison. Lose both and we are severely weakened

I kind of think Josh is around 7 or 8 mill, but outside of the fans opinions on how much hes worth and how good / bad he is are a couple of other important things as to why City will likely  fight to hang on to him. One is that hes so rated by DF himself, i think we saw last season even when Josh was having those iffy games, Farke still persisted with him more often than not. Another is, with the almost certain departure of Madders, selling Josh would mean 2 of the clubs regular home grown (Brit) players would have gone, leaving us woefully low on numbers to make  the matchday squad.
Of course both Madders and Josh could be replaced by other British players, but as we know, thats not a cheap option.

I think it''s a difficult one for the club. According to someone close to him, the long term contracts that Moxey gave him and his brother were pretty close to the £28k figure that was being banded around as our average weekly Championship salary. Without parachute payments, it''s questionable how we afford that.
With Wildschut out of favour, Watkins likely to leave and Oliviera melted down to make glue, our attacking options consist of Srbeny, Hernandez, Buendia and Josh. It looks lightweight with Josh, so God knows what it would look like without him. Anyone we bring in is going to struggle to adapt to the league quickly, at a club where we scored 49 league goals in 46 games.

He''s a good player but a lot of our fans have unrealistic expectations of wingers.

He''s not a top prem player but newly promoted side / relegation threatened teams in the prem would understandably be interested in a pacy wide player with a natural ability to beat players and with good technical ability when it comes to striking a ball. One of those players who CAN score from nothing.

He''s inconsistent and even in his good games will have 30 minutes where he''s ineffective but that''s the life of a modern championship / low prem winger.

The thing Josh has that people do not see is just by being selected he gives the RB RCB a problem because he has pace

the RB can not play as far up the pitch as he would like because he is worried about josh''s pace and it changes tactics of the teams we play against

also as he is a player with pace RB RCB move over to cover giving our Right winger CF more space

He does a lot for a team without even touching the ball because of what he can do

ok sometimes he has a bad game but that maybe because teams are aware of the threat and mark him better etc but that is where others in our squad should take advantage

we are better with him than without

Funny the op is so keen to sell a good young player yet kept insisting that Naismith will come good despite being far worse and being paid far more than Murphy.

That''s a very charitable view NFG.  The wonder goal and second half performance against Villa certainly showed what he is capable of - but that was too rare and too little too late for our season.  For a lot of the season there was too much giving the ball away in good situations, poor finishing or passing most of the time.  He needs to be tearing up sides like against Villa every week - and if he can''t, then he is better off at a PL club where he can make an impact sometimes from the bench. 
The way forwards in our situation is with players who play at their best all or most of the time. I appreciate he has worked through the youth side of the club and is popular for that - and that he has the talent other clubs will want - but to progress we need players who are more consistently effective, even if they have slightly less natural talent than he has. 
I hope he proves me wrong and if he stays has a storming season - he has the ability for that - but if someone comes in with a bid that is good enough, then to accept that might just be the best thing for him and the club.

Simply - sell him now, very surprised if we get over 5m.

The odd flash of brilliance doesn’t mean he has that much ability and definitely not a team player.

£10m is the going rate for a promising young English player moving to a prem club.

I wouldn’t want to sell him as despite the questionable decision making he remains one of our biggest threats and on his day is unplayable and is better than Jacob in my opinion. If however he is to be sold it needs to be for another big fee.

He has the ability to come good. I would rather we keep him and took the gamble on him having a blistering year next season than sell him for 7m. The way people talk it''s as if decent attacking options are 10 a penny.

How many more seasons do we have to wait for him to come good? Personally I would sell now if we can get a reasonable fee.

Yes he was second behind Maddison for goals and assists, but this could have been much better had he passed to a player in a better position, rather than always go for the spectacular goal .

For those worried about decent attacking options we do have Hernandez, Buendia and Cantwell who can all play on the wing.

[quote user="hampton canary"]How many more seasons do we have to wait for him to come good? Personally I would sell now if we can get a reasonable fee.

Yes he was second behind Maddison for goals and assists, but this could have been much better had he passed to a player in a better position, rather than always go for the spectacular goal .

For those worried about decent attacking options we do have Hernandez, Buendia and Cantwell who can all play on the wing.[/quote]

He''s 23 not 26 there is plenty of time to come good and improve consistency his problem is not one of lack of talent and those sorts of players are worth persevering with at least for one more year. His value will not fall significantly further should he replicate the same season he just had, if say as some have suggested it''s at the 5 to 7m mark.

As for Hernandez, Buendia and Cantwell, they are all unproven there are no guarantees that those players will be better than Murphy infact they may not even reach his level. I prefer not to ditch both of last seasons match winning players in Murphy and Maddison in one summer in some assumption that promising but unproven players will be better.