Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Eisa, Reed and Henderson please

Now we have Buendia & Leitner signed, I would want to see us secure Reed and maybe Henderson challenging as number 1 to Matthews but also a proven goal scorer from a lower league. Eisa fits the bill for me. We then need at least another striker.

Thought it was worth trying a positive thread given Maddison may also be announced as leaving in next 2/3 weeks once bidding wars take hold.

Any thoughts on your top 3?

If Maddison goes I''d really like to see us take some of that money and go for Marriott from Posh.

Second, I''ve always been a big fan of Tomas Kalas who spent last season on loan at Fulham- maybe we could get a similar deal?

I''ve mentioned Oliver McBurnie on another thread so I''ll go with him again- big, strong striker who has shown he knows where the goal is at this level.

He was linked with Leeds last week so you never know. They might even be open to selling if they don''t fancy him for whatever reason.

Who are your three?

Kalas is about to sign for Fulham on a permanent deal, they have an option in is loan but are trying to negotiate it down. Ultimately he’ll most likely end up there.

Never seen Marriott play so can’t comment of his quality, but it seems he is off to Bristol City as they are selling Bobby Reid. Marriott’s fee is supposedly in excess of £4.5m, so a big gamble for anyone.

I reckon Swansea will look to keep McBurnie with them next season.

If Ducksch’s transfer to Fortuna is as dead as being reported I’d like to see him at Norwich.

Ultimately the club need some home grown players and I don’t really follow anything below the Championship so not sure who is good or good value. So can’t really make decent suggestions beyond that.

Crush my dreams why don''t you Bethnal.

Surprised Kalas is moving there permanently as he wasn''t starting week in week out at Championship level but there you go.

Bit gutting that Bristol City seem better equipped to pluck players from League One than us,

Reed is universally appreciated and wanted back it seems, no contest then.

I am not sure about Henderson in as much as I would like to see Remi promoted to the front line at last.

Admittedly few of us have ever seen him in action, but all the reports are positive and he does little to evoke negativity.

It''s a bit of a risk, not financially though, as promoting our own will usually be but is one that surely needs taking sooner rather than later, imo.

Henderson seems highly rated and sought after but will be expensive. Part of the reasons for young Gunn''s success stemmed from his obvious connections with our club. Henderson will have no such incentive and could become a loan too far.

Will the perceived difference in their relative abilities, gleaned mainly from one being a Man. U. youngster and the other merely from the NCFC youth ranks, justify the financial hit?

My top three in no particular order:

Eddie Nketiah (loan) - could be a cheap option for what would be a good striker IMO at this level, wanting to prove himself to step up season after next for Arsenal. They wont need him as have Lacazette, Aubamayang and Welbeck.

Jack Marriott - We need strikers. I would get rid of Nelson, Srbeny doesn''t look up to it (hopefully prove me wrong with a full pre season). This blokes bangs them in for fun. All out break the bank for him IMO.

Moritz Leitner - Haven''t signed him yet so would be in my top three. Knows the club, adapted to the league. would do well in the number 10 role to replace Maddison and I dont think would cost more than a mil to sign him up.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Reed is universally appreciated and wanted back it seems, no contest then.

I am not sure about Henderson in as much as I would like to see Remi promoted to the front line at last.

Admittedly few of us have ever seen him in action, but all the reports are positive and he does little to evoke negativity.

It''s a bit of a risk, not financially though, as promoting our own will usually be but is one that surely needs taking sooner rather than later, imo.

Henderson seems highly rated and sought after but will be expensive. Part of the reasons for young Gunn''s success stemmed from his obvious connections with our club. Henderson will have no such incentive and could become a loan too far.

Will the perceived difference in their relative abilities, gleaned mainly from one being a Man. U. youngster and the other merely from the NCFC youth ranks, justify the financial hit?[/quote]

As Bethnal says, big gamble of £4.5m on a player from league one and a Luton supporting mate didn''t rate him at all when he was theirs, and that was in league two.

Aforementioned Eisa is one.

I wouldnt mind Ola Aina from Chelsea as a right back - did well at Hull last season and may be open for a further loan . As adds home grown cover.

Another striker is harder and depends upon available cash - Marriot or Marcus Maddison will cost, while the likes of McNulty of Coventry (& Eisa) are relatively untested for a step up in class - which may mean Ducksch is a good option.

Because he''s a far better right back than Pinto who we could then let go. Improve the squad, get in a transfer fee and saving on wages.

How can you assume that Godfrey and Thompson have zero chance just because we might go for Reed.

I would bring Reed back because he proved his versatility by playing both at RB for Pinto and in midfield, but more importantly, he had a full season in the championship; which neither Godfrey or Thompson did.

If neither of them are loaned out then I can see both of them getting a chance next season.

lincsy88...Leitner would cost much more than a million, id think around 4-5 mill, im sure City are or will try to bring him back, but ultimately think his price tag would be to much in our present climate, unless they can maybe persuade Augsburg to let him go for 2 n half to 3, then City may just just get him.
As for strikers, depends on Farke''s thoughts. There are a few older heads in the Prem like Shane Long, who could come in on loan for a season, but of course would command a moderate sized fee for their services. Farke could and would likely prefer younger models, i think talk of Jordan Rhodes types, even at a lower price than a year ago, will still be outside our budget to actually buy. Its going to be a challenge for Webber and DF, but i  can see a home grown loan of some sort and another Srbeny type from abroad, who thou is anyones guess.

Leitner wouldn’t be that expensive. Augsburg signed him for €2m and they don’t fancy him and are looking to sell. Wages might be an issue as he is on a long contract but the Bundesliga clubs don’t pay massive amounts - might still be a little out of Norwich’s current budget though.

What plays into Webber’s hands though is the fact that not many clubs will be particularly interested in him as he hasn’t featured much for his last few clubs. It is only Farke knowing him from Dortmund that brought him to Norwich. Augsburg might just be happy getting his wages off their books - it really depends on what he is currently getting and their situation.

I think him being at Norwich next season is far more likely than him not.

I would like Marriott , even at a cost of 4 m... proven goalscorer ... which we need...

I would like Remi to get a chance in goal , but that doesn''t mean we don''t need cover.

Let''s get Leitner in ...

On the Reed comments ... I don''t think we''ll get him signed up as a RB , although he did well as a replacement . If we can keep him good , but the key signings will be the strikers

I''m certainly not alone in thinking Reed is a better Right Back than Pinto for all your incredulity. Certainly DF chose him there more often than not towards the end of the season when both were available.

Fair point that Pinto is better going forward but I like my full backs to be able to stop centers coming in on the odd occasion. I genuinely don''t think I''ve seen many defenders stand off his man and let him center the ball in as easily as Pinto does. As for pointing out Reed''s inability to head the ball, well that is a bit ironic considering that is Pinto''s main weakness. At least Reed makes it awkward for the attacker by putting himself in the way!

You do tend to contradict yourself in saying that he did a decent enough job, but is not a right back. You don''t necessarily have to be tall to be a right back. There are numerous players who end up playing in a different position to where they started. Luke Young at Man Utd was an out and out winger and is now first choice left back. Dublin was a centre forward and then a centre half.

But you haven''t addressed the fact that Pinto is poor in the air!

DF wasn''t saving wages when he preferred Reed to Pinto. He simply concluded that he was the better full back. I think he''s right.

I have to agree with you hairy as I always thought Pinto was a liability at RB and very poor in the air.

I assume you saw a lot of Reed last season yellowrider, but I seem to remember he won quite a few of his aerial duels against taller players by getting his timing right when jumping for the ball.

Based on what I saw last season I would play Reed before Pinto at RB.

The first time I watched Godfrey he was playing RB so he could be another option for Farke.

Statistically Reed wins more in the air (0.8 aerial duels) than Pinto (0.5).

Reeds passing is also better, and got 3 assists over pintos 1.

Pinto is quicker at full pace but delivery is generally poor. Reed is a better all round player but won''t scare the opposition in the same way pinto can.

Reed is far superior as a defender, and I''m not sure there''s much in it going forward either.

Running fast and showing "passion" shouldn''t compensate for a poor final ball or getting caught out of position.

I don''t you can make a fair statistical comparison of the two based on the fact that Reed played a good chunk of his games in a different position.

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t you can make a fair statistical comparison of the two based on the fact that Reed played a good chunk of his games in a different position.[/quote]
I think you can when you consider Reed''s other position has been a holding midfielder. Thus most aerial battles are against other central midfielders. At right back you''re generally up against an opposition winger. I don''t need stats to tell me that typically wingers aren''t the tallest players on the pitch yet there is quite often a taller central midfielder for the opposition. Either way, the stats do give you a rough idea. It doesn''t require a genius to take the position into account but still draw a fair conclusion from it.

Pinto and reed both have weaknesses but both also strengths and I too liked what reed did there.

But we win twice as many games with Pinto starting at RB/RWB (12/31) than when he isnt there (3/15) and we won just 1/8 with Reed in that role. In a results based game just shows it is complicated. Even more complicated when we also lose more games when pinto starts (13/31 v 3/15 - thats a lot of draws though)... Who would be a manager....

I would like a new rb but am not sure we will see Reed here next season - hence my rb suggestion above.

Seems Henderson has a new deal at man u... i wonder if he is now ready to pick where he is off on loan...

On the subject of right backs, how good is Max Aarons? He just signed a deal which indicates Farke will have a look at him in preseason and maybe we will have another jamal lewis

I see that Ducksch is not necessarily dead as a potential deal with €3m peice put on him. My son lives in Germany and has watched a few matches and commented how useful he looked last season. Henderson signing could indeed mean he may be loaned out, or simply to become a regular No.2. As for Reed, I get the sense our chances are drifting.