Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Since relegation

2 lots of parachute payments and 5 players sold (Maddison included) must total close to 120 M.With the best will in the world it doesn’t all quite add up

Must have been a lot of contracts around 40K a week but no penalties when relegated . Absolutely gutted that the best of the lot might be heading to the King Power . Guess they now shop at M&S and we’re off to Poundland .

It kind of adds up when you remember our philosophy in that first season was basically keep most of the team from the premier league squad without much of a focus on offloading wages. In the summer we only really sold Redmond for much money and spent a reasonable amount on Nelson and Pritchard.

I said in the summer...

We clearly went with a model of keeping our best and most expensive players banking on an immediate return. We then gave Neil too much time and never recovered from it.

What bugs me is that we are currently suffering financially from pushing the boat out when we were last in the Prem but we got relegated BECAUSE we hardly pushed the boat out in real terms! Klose, Jarvis, Brady, Ivo Pinto & Naismith were not signings that any other Prem club would''ve been envious of - although Brady has proved his quality since.

I suppose this is the cost of lacking a prosperous benefactor. When we go up we can''t afford the quality we need ... when we come down we can''t keep our talent for long and can only replace them with educated punts.

Brady, Olsson, Jerome, Howson, Pritchard, Redmond, Jacob Murphy, Josh Murphy, Rudd, Canos, Dorrans, Watkins, Van Wolfswinkle, Odjidja-Ofoe all left for some sort of fee since relegation from the premier league.

Why on earth did we think it was a good idea to honour player contracts, wasting all that money?
Just imagine the players we could have bought instead.
We need more financially astute folk like Midland Canary on the board.
Just think of all that money we have wasted on paying suppliers s well.
If only there was an example of this that we could follow

Has the end begun again? How many times is that in your lifetime Midlands? My first beginning of the end was when we sold Ron Davies. I''ve never found what the end is before it begins again....
I''m going away for a few days before I slit my wrists[:O]

I think the irony is if we’d been just a little braver and spent that little bit more no one would be having this conversation . Of course you can’t just spend for the sake of it but Norwich are a little bit more cautious when it comes to splashing cash . If Ashton had been signed earlier or Klose similarly then on each occasion I believe we’d have stayed up .

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]2 lots of parachute payments and 5 players sold (Maddison included) must total close to 120 M.With the best will in the world it doesn’t all quite add up

Must have been a lot of contracts around 40K a week but no penalties when relegated . Absolutely gutted that the best of the lot might be heading to the King Power . Guess they now shop at M&S and we’re off to Poundland .[/quote]
perhaps because Leicester will receive over £100m in TV money
we won''t
a huge and complicated financial arrangement I accept
that I can imagine is way beyond your understanding
hence your comments

I guess if we''d have signed Ashton sooner we''d still be in the PL even though the clubs we wish we were change virtually every year....

I don''t think its true that we ''just needed to spend more'' in the past. We needed to spend it better at times.

The season we went down under Hughton we were considered to have had a great transfer window and spent quite a bit of money. Long term that window didn''t do us too much damage as we spent it on players we could sell if we went down and didn''t get stuck with huge contracts.

The season under Neil we spent quite a bit- however our strategy was terrible in the summer window that led to a huge amount of panic buying in the January.

I don''t even think we need to be throwing millions at the team right now- I just think we need to supported to the level where money from players sales and can mostly be reinvested in new players rather than having to rely on finding gems on the cheap.