Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Steve Stone getting the excuses in nice and early

Good article from Archant with stone

Getting the excuses in for a mediocre season and lack of a promotion nice and early

If that doesn''t depress you then nothing will

Can someone add a clicky to the page

Trying to be fair is he not just saying what we all know and being realistic?

There’s a huge financial gap and the sale of Murphy doesn’t even cover it.

I don’t like it, I’d love us to be spending millions to ‘guarantee’ promotion (but ask Villa fans about that!) but we don’t have that kind of backer and I still want a team to support even if it’s in the championship if the alternative is s**t or bust!!

[quote user="Splat the Cat"]It''s a rehash of the old prudence with ambition strategy and we know how that ended[/quote]

No it isn''t, your memory must be fading. Prudence with Ambition was about creating extra revenue streams to finance the club. It was about building offices to rent. We used to joke on this forum about the spending on spine roads.

When McNally came in, he threw out this model saying that every spare penny had to go on the playing squad. Which was a pretty good plan to get us into the Premier Division, but didn''t work so well once we got there.

Nothing of any real substance there though
"I wouldn’t expect it to be anywhere near the turnover of last summer,

because we have got the nucleus of a decent squad in my view."
Would be surprised if that''s true. We''re missing a No1 keeper, right back, strikers & wingers.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]
Nothing of any real substance there though
"I wouldn’t expect it to be anywhere near the turnover of last summer,

because we have got the nucleus of a decent squad in my view."
Would be surprised if that''s true. We''re missing a No1 keeper, right back, strikers & wingers.
[/quote]
I wondered about that, but in terms of first-team squaders last summer we had 9 in plus 2 on loan, and 11 out plus 1 on loan. My guess is that we will have a fair fewer players than 11+1 we want to get rid of, although there are still some obvious candidates! But a fair number to come in, if we have the money from Maddison, Murphy, Watkins and Oliveira. As you say, there are already some obvious gaps.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="Splat the Cat"]It''s a rehash of the old prudence with ambition strategy and we know how that ended[/quote]

No it isn''t, your memory must be fading. Prudence with Ambition was about creating extra revenue streams to finance the club. It was about building offices to rent. We used to joke on this forum about the spending on spine roads.

When McNally came in, he threw out this model saying that every spare penny had to go on the playing squad. Which was a pretty good plan to get us into the Premier Division, but didn''t work so well once we got there.[/quote]
No. If there was someone who was obsessed with buildings it was Chase. The prudence-with-ambition mantra of the Smith and Jones era involved spending every spare penny on  the squad. That was not brought in by McNally. The problem Smith and Jones had was that the one obvious project that Chase could have done - the rebuilding of the South Stand - he somehow never got round to, leaving it - and the crippling debt it necessitated - to them.

I think he is just saying as it is we have a shortfall we will get that sorted and then we will spend what ever is left !

that is exactly what self funded means as we all knew

how far that will take us who knows but that is where we are only money to spend after the financial hole is plug is from sales

once the high earners are off the wage bill we will be totally self funded not really New News to most

Made me smile the bit about everybody thinking you get a massive lump sum to spend at once when you sell a player for “x” amount.

Well done genius, do we only pay the full amount when buy someone? Another depressing interview reminding us we are stuck with no investment from our owners

Bit surprised to see Steve Stone suggesting we have the nucleus of a good squad when the goalkeeping position not clear, Reed has gone so no cover at right back and if NO leaves woeful shortages up front . Take into account suggestions that Klose might leave and to me it looks like about half a dozen need to come in.

TIL

Judging by how on it archant have been so far, I would say Henderson looks like a done deal for GK

Backup right back is not part of your ''nucleus''

NO and Klose are rumours, and none with any credibility that I''ve seen. Plus NO''s attitude and consistency leave a lot to be desired.

Henderson has just signed a new contract at Man Utd, Reed was one of our better performers last season and far better defensively than Pinto so that position requires strengthening and back up surely ? I think we agree on NO so with Morris out probably until the new year and Srbeny not up to it in my book we need at least two strikers. Klose is one of the higher wage earners left and i think the club would take a reasonable offer if one came in.

We might not have the same number of players in and out but I''d argue we''re replacing almost as many key starters as we did last season.

[quote user="king canary"]We might not have the same number of players in and out but I''d argue we''re replacing almost as many key starters as we did last season.[/quote]

I don''t think we have the same level of promising attacking players waiting to step into the team like we did before so we will get to see exactly what Webber can deliver. He''s going to have to get these signings right or we''re in for a long hard season.

Football club pays for pitch shock.... I am for one am grateful we have such forward thinking owners. Will buy them a pint when I see them in the pub...

[quote user="Splat the Cat"]£500k I would have done it for a tenth of that amount

What a chump he is[/quote]
A rake, a roller and a few packets of grass seed i mean how expensive can that be ?

what i do not understand about the pitch it was not good enough to play on so they moved it to Colney so the players will spend 80 % of their working week on a pitch not good enough and Different to the one they will be playing on at Home !

As for NO we better move him on as he was a total passenger last season so no point keeping him and stating he is part of the squad

[quote user="king canary"]We might not have the same number of players in and out but I''d argue we''re replacing almost as many key starters as we did last season.[/quote]
Probably right, so far anyway, at least with the permanents. Wes and Watkins were not usual key starters,  just Josh really. But Gunn and Reed were so once again the loans may nearly be as important as the permanents. Not sure the exact number of ins and outs last summer window, but say approx a dozen went out and a dozen came in, even with what Stone said, could still see 6 or 7 out and same number in, less than last year for sure but still a decent turnover, plenty enough to feel the difference on most matchdays.
As to the ins though, one sure factor affecting the eventual squad is  how many of the returning loans will figure in DF''s plans for the new season, Godfrey, Cantwell etc, also a fit again Thompson.

Whilst we continue to develop/buy players we can offload for £10m we will be able to limp along each season. Once all the stars have gone the chickens will come home to roost. Players who do not come up to snuff will be a millstone a la Naismith, Martin, Pinto, Oliviera and Klose. Who can we see falling into potential £10m+ stars maybe Lewis then looks like the cupboard is bare. Now out of Pl era of 4 year contracts is up shorter contracts mean stars on shorter contracts and less time for stars to blossom.

Stone is lightweight and for those who view DCI Banks as ''entertainment''. He was hardly a shining diamond when he was FD, whose department was a comedy of errors. Passed over as CEO, which went to Moxey, but was made MD out of a mixture of loyalty and sheer desperation.

Making big deal about the pitch - which isn''t even news - is non league stuff and will tow any particular line he is told to do.

I''m waiting for him and Tom to do a Jam raffle to pay for the broken down hand dryer in the gents.

The club is such a parody, there is no need to discuss the payment of the pitch. Would have thought with the £5mil raised from the investment scheme when only £3.5m was required, the club can easily afford this without having to make a public service announcement about it

[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"]The club is such a parody, there is no need to discuss the payment of the pitch. Would have thought with the £5mil raised from the investment scheme when only £3.5m was required, the club can easily afford this without having to make a public service announcement about it[/quote]
The Canary Bond was specifically for the Academy and I think I am right in saying that legally it can only be used for the Academy. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="Dr Greenthumb"]The club is such a parody, there is no need to discuss the payment of the pitch. Would have thought with the £5mil raised from the investment scheme when only £3.5m was required, the club can easily afford this without having to make a public service announcement about it[/quote]
The Canary Bond was specifically for the Academy and I think I am right in saying that legally it can only be used for the Academy. 
[/quote]

And welcome back to the land of spin LDC. The work being done at Conley is for the whole set up - which of course is where the first team train. It includes replacing all of the temporary facilities and offices . Saying it was for the academy fits in much better with the marketing themes coming out of the club. Of course it is for the academy . And for the rest of the club . Including (boring) administration.