Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Great business, good start

Very pleased with the business done so far. Nobody wants to lose Maddison but the fact is he is destined for bigger things and £25m is crucial to us.

Last season we were clearly a one man team. Too many matches if Maddison didn''t score we didn''t win.

That needed to change, so if selling Mads changes last seasons glaring problem then so be it.

We have also got very good money for the two other reasons we flopped last season. Murphy and Watkins.

I have never been a Murphy fan, either brother. Both have ability clearly, but last season was a prime example. Far too inconsistent and teams that get promoted, there attacking players contribute far more than Murphy did.

Watkins bombed completely and for me Murphy and Watkins were expected to be our match winners last season. Watkins didn''t win us one match, and while Murphy did win us several, no where near enough for a team chasing promotion.

So that''s £50m in if you add in Pritchard. 2 underperformers gone for £11m profit and £25m inevitable reality bites pounds.

We must spend it well. Buendia looks tasty, Leitner we know, showed promise and could well be a gem. We need to find some more Trybulls, Reeds and Hanley''s.

Next signings are key I feel and we need to buy some Johnson, Croft, and Holt types to compliment the Buendias and Leitners.

Some of that £50m needs to be spent, and spent well. But for me a great start and I''m positive for next season.

So Matt, how much do you think we will sell and who do you think is going to come up with the 43% of our goals?

The likes of Fulham built a team around their outstanding talent whilst we are selling ours to stand still.

Buendia looked good in the Spanish second division, we will see if he can step up to the Championship. Leitner was ok but not a MAddison or a Wes. Trybull I like but is not that reliable unfortunately..

I do not trust these owners to spend sensibly one bit...

I agree that the spending of said £50m will probably be nowhere near what we want. But my point is last season did not work one bit, and it didn''t work because our attack was one guy in most games, and another who didn''t do enough.

I don''t care about sentiment, he''s one of our own bull, Murphy was not good enough. Ive been here a long time and I''ve been spoilt by the Huckerbys and Redmond''s and Eadies. Murphy I''m afraid couldn''t lace their boots.

Another season with Murphy as our main attacking threat equals another failed promotion bid in my book and £10m is great business.

We will not be pushing for promotion next season unless we sign two proven goal scorers, a right back and a keeper

[quote user="Matt Morriss"]I agree that the spending of said £50m will probably be nowhere near what we want. But my point is last season did not work one bit, and it didn''t work because our attack was one guy in most games, and another who didn''t do enough.

I don''t care about sentiment, he''s one of our own bull, Murphy was not good enough. Ive been here a long time and I''ve been spoilt by the Huckerbys and Redmond''s and Eadies. Murphy I''m afraid couldn''t lace their boots.

Another season with Murphy as our main attacking threat equals another failed promotion bid in my book and £10m is great business.[/quote]

I think McLean will play in Vrancic''s position last season and Vrancic will take over the Maddison role (which is his natural role). We don''t know that Vrancic, played in his natural position can''t have a big season. He has the talent IMO.

The more physical sides realised that Maddison and Murphy could be kicked out of a game and our attacking threat was over.

Next season perhaps the creative threat will come from deeper(Vrancic,maybe Leitner) so we will have more support for the striker.

[quote user="king canary"]Vrancic was shite in the number 10 role last season.[/quote]

and far more easy to knock off the ball than Maddison

I did wonder whether you had tee''d this up for yourself waveney.. just surprised it took you so long to so pipe up.

[quote user="Mike "]We will not be pushing for promotion next season unless we sign two proven goal scorers, a right back and a keeper[/quote]
For the second time today Mike i am in full agreement with you. [Y]

[quote user="Rick O''Shea "]This is happy clapping at its most extreme

Not even LDC''s rose tinted glasses could have come up with this OP[/quote

I''m far from a happy clapper. Maddison was always going so I accepted that last season. And I''m just ecstatic quite frankly that we got £11m for the constant disappointment that was Josh Murphy, and the utterly useless Marley Watkins.

I''m positive about what lies ahead, no point being negative. Buendia and Hernandez intrigue me. Just hope we can buy some more quality.

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]I did wonder whether you had tee''d this up for yourself waveney.. just surprised it took you so long to so pipe up.[/quote]

It is a cracking wind up but no one can be this deluded, surely????

[quote user="Rick OShea "]This is happy clapping at its most extreme

Not even LDC''s rose tinted glasses could have come up with this OP[/quote]
Pretty much agree with every word of the op.  Selling Maddison will mean changes which can be positive for the team as a whole - and Josh being sold means we can find someone who will be effective more often.  If he had stayed, I would have feared a repeat of this last season, little bits of good play and a lot of waste. 

Asset stripping on a scale not seen for years is a sign of decline not growth. The board are taking the club backwards at a rate of knots. We have freefalled since Bowkett and McNally left. That some fans cheer them as they do it is frankly astonishing.

Any “fan” who thinks replacing the quality of Wes, Murphys, madders, Jerome, Ruddy, redmond etc with the likes of Srbeny, stieperman, etc is good news is frankly living in la la land. Unless we sign some very good players, which seems unlikely given the finances (or lack of them) then we are staring league one in the face I suspect. Don’t forget a proven champ striker now costs north of £10 million quid

I’ll advocate a signing . Marc Mucnulty at Coventry, touching 30 goals last season . If anyone saw their play off win at Notts County they would have been impressed with how he and Coventry played . Worth watching on YouTube and although it’s leagur two I think he could step up with ease .

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="Rick OShea "]This is happy clapping at its most extreme

Not even LDC''s rose tinted glasses could have come up with this OP[/quote]
Pretty much agree with every word of the op.  Selling Maddison will mean changes which can be positive for the team as a whole - and Josh being sold means we can find someone who will be effective more often.  If he had stayed, I would have feared a repeat of this last season, little bits of good play and a lot of waste. 
[/quote]
Selling Maddison will mean changes which can be a positive for the team as a whole.........................Only Lakey could possibly post this.

[quote user="Mike "]We will not be pushing for promotion next season unless we sign two proven goal scorers, a right back and a keeper[/quote]

Agreed. Also still a lot of doubt about the defensive spine of the team given the alarming number of goals conceded in the last quarter of last season.

Great start. We’ve significantly weakened an already average squad and sold on our only danger men. 👍🏻

We will not be pushing for promotion at all imho.

The best we can hope for is noticeable improvement on last season,which isn''t necessary a bad thing. I hope im wrong and obviously until we have signed the 4 or 5 players we really need it''s impossible to predict accurately but I''m not holding my breath..

Really hope it''s alot better than I expect tho as I bought my daughter her first season ticket for the coming season

All the players below have ben sold for very good fees and we now have money in the bank to look for replacements:

Pritchard and Murphy wanted to leave for the Premiership

Maddison was always going to the Premiership

There were not many who wanted Watkins to stay

In addition we could still sell Oliveira, Pinto, Naismith, Martin, Franke, Wildshutt and possibly McGovern to bring in more money.

The main squad currently includes Hanley, Klose, Zimmermann, Lewis, Raggett, Husband, Stiepermann, Tettey, Trybul, Vrancic, McLean, Buendia, Srbeny, and Hernandez.

Meanwhile, we still have some very good returning youngsters in Godfrey, Thompson, Matthews and Cantwell, who could feature next season; not forgetting those in the under 23 squad.

If we can sign / loan two good strikers, a right back and a keeper I believe the rebuild is almost complete and we should be ready to compete next season.

I still have faith in Webber getting it right.