Sign in to follow this  
pete

Swansea after Godfrey

I seem to recall that when Dean Kiely and Ryan Bennett were tweeting digs at the club at the end of the season Godfrey liked a lot of them and replied to a few. He got some stick from some fans for doing so.

I wonder if all is not as rosy as it might be with that player and either his agent is looking to get him out or he''s been identified as a potential bad apple and therefore reasonable offers will be considered.

All pure speculation on my part of course, I hope he stays and stamps his mark on the first time.

Clubs at our level cannot avoid being selling clubs under certain circumstances. It is a fact of life and becomes more stark with a self-sustaining model.

That makes it more important than ever that we maximize the sales when they happen.

Sometimes a player outgrows the club and there is no way of holding on to him as he looks to take a step up: like Maddison.

Sometimes an offer comes in which looks to be the best we can expect to get - now or in the future: like Murphy

Godfrey doesn''t fit with either of these scenarios. The likelihood is that his value will rise if he progresses as well as we all hope over the next year of two. Regardless of the fact that we will be losing a promising player it doesn''t make financial sense to sell him now.

@Bethnal

I get it. I guess from a fan perspective I''m finding this off-season tough to stomach already.

I can just about take the idea that we''re probably getting one or two seasons at best out of our best young players but to not even get that is a hugely depressing idea. I can''t lie, I''d be far more excited watching a midfield with Godfrey, Maddison and Murphy in it over Tettey, Leitner and Vrancic.

I get that people were getting excited by Godfrey and would be a shame to lose him.

This summer was always going to be couple of depressing outs, but then the incomings start. Ben Marshall will be done soon and there are indications it will be followed by another relatively soon afterwards.

Unfortunately the way Norwich have to shop now is that incoming players won’t sound particularly exciting at first, either being unknown, on loan, or unfancied elsewhere. Ironically, I think (Hanley aside) the best signings last season were the ones I was least excited by.

At least with the window closing early it will all be resolved relatively quickly this summer.

[quote user="king canary"] I''d be far more excited watching a midfield with Godfrey, Maddison and Murphy in it over Tettey, Leitner and Vrancic.[/quote]
I understand what you are saying but we also have the potential of Buendia and MacLean, not to mention Hernandez who should do well too.

@Bethnal

I''m sure the players who come in will be fine but last season we saw a gradual lowering of the standards across the squad (not Webber''s fault but budgets were always going to lead to that) and I feel this summer will be the same.

I''m not passing judgement on our new signings as I know very little about them mostly but I''m just being realistic with our budgetary constraints.

We need a decent signing asap, especially now that the money is coming in, to lift the mood.

It seems that there has been talk of little else other than sales since the Biendia signing and this has inevitably spread to discussion about the present malaise within the club, minor, major or in-between, depending upon the poster''s general state of mind.

I''m pinning some hopes upon this Dutsch (?) fellow, not only because it will mean the striking department will likely have some well needed fresh input, but the player himself does appear to be a bit decent and fits into both our current limitations in the market and requirements on the field of play.

This would be selling the Family silver before we even had a chance to polish it

£3 million for Godfrey even though he has not played at this level for a season i think is far to cheap it is potential of the lad to be worth a lot in the future

We can only but hope that City have the toughness to put"not for sale" on Godfrey, not that any bids  have  been  put in, its as yet just at the "interest in" stage. With Pritch in Jan, Wes, Josh, Madders and even Watkins gone from the squad now, add Reed  and there are a fair few spaces to fill, which McLean and Buendia can only partly fill.
With the fess from Josh and Maddison, once Coventry get their 15%, City work out how much goes to cover costs and cloth cutting, im sure we will still be able to get some ins coming our way soon enough. But last seasons loan outs like Ben Godfrey  should be, and seem to be, ready to  be much more regular part of Citys squad this coming season.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I get that people were getting excited by Godfrey and would be a shame to lose him.

This summer was always going to be couple of depressing outs, but then the incomings start. Ben Marshall will be done soon and there are indications it will be followed by another relatively soon afterwards. [/quote]
My guess would be Leitner, and failing that a British keeper on loan (best we could hope for is Danny Ward).
But if it was Leitner, that means it''s Tettey, Trybull, Vrancic, McClean, Leitner and even Stiepermann competing in the middle of the park, or Leitner competing with Buendia for a number 10 role. So you wonder where Godfrey would fit in anyway, and if they thought Godfrey was ready, they wouldn''t have given Tettey a new deal.
So I don''t know if it''s an agent fishing for a new deal (with the Maddison/Murphy cash) or if he just doesn''t fancy Rotherham on loan. 

Icecream, I think it was clear last season that the holding midfield role was only properly ever filled by Tettey. Even Trybull didn''t look as affective without him, so the names you''ve mention can really split down the middle with only Tettey, Godfrey and Trybull competiting for the Defensive holding midfield place. If you consider Tettey can not play 46 odd games, Trybull is little injury prone it''s very important we keep Godfrey unless they are certain Thompson can step back up.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Icecream, I think it was clear last season that the holding midfield role was only properly ever filled by Tettey. Even Trybull didn''t look as affective without him, so the names you''ve mention can really split down the middle with only Tettey, Godfrey and Trybull competiting for the Defensive holding midfield place. If you consider Tettey can not play 46 odd games, Trybull is little injury prone it''s very important we keep Godfrey unless they are certain Thompson can step back up.[/quote]

Originally when Farke first came, much was much of his prefence for Tuchel style formations 3-4-3 and 4-1-4-1. With Lewis injured he opted for the latter. We had Reed trying to shield the back four, with Vrancic and Maddison in front of him. Which ulitmately was lightweight and porous, After the drubbing at Millwall he implemented the Tettey/Trybull wall which shored the defence up.

I think what''s going to be interesting is if he goes back to the 4-1-4-1, but has a midfield packed with physically stronger players who''ve adapted to the league.

Yes, against Millwall we lined up with the most lightwieght midfield possible and asked Reed to do all the defensive work. Not helped by having Martin and Franke behind him also.

I''m not certain Farke has gotten over his desire to shove as many lightweight playmaker types into the team as possible but the fact we''ve got Tettey, Trybull and Godfrey all here suggests maybe he has.

Icecream, it''s a long season. Tettey, Trybull, Leitner & Stiepermann all suffered injuries at important times for their progress in the team and the club''s. Vrancic is yet to fully convince and got a good share of game time. McLean is more likely to be in a front three. If Godfrey is ready to step up and wants to be here, I''d say he could be looking at 25-30 starts over the season, under Tettey''s watchful eye. Could be the making of him.

I agree with the more agressive posters on here. It''s an outrage other clubs have shown interest in one of our young players, the board are a disgrace.

Paddy very clear that he is staying.

The rumours just all part of the summer circus it seems

(Until we get a £7m+ offer of course..)