Sign in to follow this  
0King Juan of SpainddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Our so called illustrious Academy...

Isn''t spawning many players is it? Granted, Shacks is here but it''s been going for a while now and no-one seems to be pushing through. When will Hendo prove his worth? What''s happened to ''the most exciting young talent in years'' Ryan Jarvis? These two have been around for years but it aint happening - and where are the others?

I''ve not been to many reserves games but there always seems some good players in there - what the hell are we doing with them? Anyone know of any prodigious talents we can expect, or is the Academy just an expensive waste of time?

We give Danny Crow premiership experience, he made an impact, looks as if he is a goalscorer, scores regulary for the reserves and youth, looks as if he would be suited to Division 1 (sorry......The Championship).

and then what does Worthy do?

Yes, thats right, release him.

I know that we do not know what goes on behind those closed doors, ie colney, but he looked a great investment for the future.
Wouldnt we love to have him so that he could partner ashton on Saturday.

We should have kept him, at worst loaned him out.

I guess this is what is going to happen to Asmat El Ougoui (sorry if i spelt that wrong)
he looks a very good player, quick and scores goals. I know he had that bad accident but he is getting back to full fitness. i predict that we will give him 2 substitute appearences and then release him.

A couple of seasons ago, Damien Batt looked a good prospect but we didnt even give him a chance.

The same could be said for some of the current youth team who play for the reserves. Gusterson at right back looks good, our right backs arnt playing too good. why dont we try him for 30mins or so?

Because Worthy needs to justify buying these players, thats why.

What look in is Joe Lewis going to get?

Your turn...............

I''m sorry lifelong but I think you are totally wrong.

You have to remember that Worthy, Foley, Livermore and all the other coaches at the Academy have been in the game for years and will have seen literally hundreds of young players in their time. They are ideally placed to make the correct judgement as to whether these players will go on to make it or not.

If Danny Crow is as good as you say he would surely be pulling up trees at Peterborough, who after all are in Division 2. In fact he has only played two games for them so far and hasn''t even scored for them yet.

We must have let at least a hundred youngsters go in the last ten years or so and I can only think of one who in any way shape or form has gone on to make it at the level at which we have been playing during that time - and that''s Bobby Zamora.

As for Joe Lewis, well Worthy put him on the bench for the first team when he was only 15 and had him on the bench last season in the Prem when he was only 17, so obviously he does rate him. If he''s good enough I''m sure he''ll get his chance in time.

And Damian Batt? You cannot be serious!

Sorry - but worthy is right. For me youth players cannot cut it at this level when you 16/17/18 , they are not physically strong enough.

Shackell is now devolping his strength, but if you watched him in his early youth days he was not the strongest of lads.

I admit Danny crow was a strange one , the lad scores goals and strength can always be developed.

Thought the academy lads done themselves and the team proud at last nights reserve match.

Thought Adam Gusterson at right back was superb, along with Robert Eagle on the wing.  Michael Spillane looked solid at centre half along with Alvyn Quale.  Chris Martin looked lively up front when he came on.

The two lads that have been involved pre season with the first team Rossi Jarvis and Andy Fisk looked very ordinary, and on that performance would not have been the two you would have expected progress.

I don''t think it is all doom and gloom at the academy.

[quote]Sorry - but worthy is right. For me youth players cannot cut it at this level when you 16/17/18 , they are not physically strong enough. Shackell is now devolping his strength, but if you watched him...[/quote]

Wayne Rooney made his debut at 16
Michael Owen 17

i''ll admit i do not see what happens at colny
what i do see is many reserve games
i am commenting on them!
i see youngsters playing well at a decent level (the reserves is not bad for a youngster) and not being given a chance.
Worthy needs to take a gamble, (10 mins when/if we are 2-0 up would do) give them a couple of games,
then we could all see them in action
and the case would be closed

Hmmm. Both Hendersen and Jarvis will be released by the club at the end of the season imo. Worthy might give Jarvis a run out in the first team on Saturday but i feel that neither of these two will make it a NCFC.

Jarvis is much hyped but the painful truth is he has made hardly any first team appearances? The reason for this lack of first team opportunities? He isn''t good enough. He is what 19/20 now? No, i am afraid that he is not going to make it.

The same goes with Hendo. I have not seen anything from Hendo to suggest to me that he is good enough for a NCFC side that is looking to get promoted. My friend goes to every reserve game and he says that Hendo is rubbish. Granted i have not seen Hendo played up front much but he has hardly been a goal machine in the reserves has he? The same goes for Jarvis. If they were good strikers capable of making it in a Championship team surely they should score bucket loads of goals in the reserves?

I don''t think we have been 2-0 up yet this season, have we?

Also, if Worthy were to risk it with the youngsters, what would happen if we got beaten 4-0? I think Henderson could have developed faster if we had given him less stick!

As someone who is aware of the goings on at our academy, all I can say is that we are producing some great talents.  In the next couple of years, Cave-Brown, Gusterson, Spillane and Eagle should all get a CHANCE to show what is being produced, but unfortunately I cant see it with how things are.

Some clubs like the scum and Leeds are all about trying the kids out, but for some reason we have been afraid of doing that.  Eadie, o''Niel, Johnson, Bellamy, Sutton all got their chances because of one reason or another and never let us down, the same for Shackel as well.  I have no doubt that if Jarvis got more games, as well as if we had of kept Paul Hayes then they would be first team squad choices.

It gets very frustrating to see the hard work of the coaches and scouts going to waste.

PS. Crow was no loss, either ability or attitude!

The academy was largely underfunded during the dark days of the nineties and it''s only recently that it''s been addressed to make sure it''s productive. It''ll be a good few years before the results are seen.

I love how people name all the players we''ve let go after they were obviously awesome talents. Crow is warming the bench in league two, Batt went to Conference. Coote was great in the reserves and now plays below Conference level....the list goes on

Someone mentioned Owen and Rooney. I think you''d agree they''re the exception rather than the rule. Its usually only attacking players too. Defenders need to fill out more..20 is a young debut for a defender at the top level.

I suppose the likes of Ipswich have had little choice but to use their Academy players recently, and the results could have gone either way. As much as it pains me to say it, you have to give them credit for bringing the youngsters through like they have and still challenge for the play offs. This season might be asking too much of them though.

I know Jarvis hasn''t scored bagfulls but he clearly is talented. Hendo is sharp up front when alongside him but I agree they don''t seem to be able to cut it at first team level, particularly Hendo.

While we''re relatively rolling in money I guess Worthy isn''t going to chance things with nippers - although McKenzie''s injury might just give Jarvis the chance.

And may I say how nice it is to have a debate about something other than whether or not Worthy should stay.

OTBC

I think it''s quite clearly a case of the youngsters not being good enough.  Of the young players we have let go, only Zamora has done anything.  Crow will be no exception, he may have scored goals but so did Adrian Coote, where is he now?

I must say I find the comment that Jarvis is now 19/20 and he will never make it laughable.  Lots of players do not make it till their early to mid 20''s.  David Beckham was not a teenage star like Rooney.  Some youngsters need protecting from football.  If Eadie had not been given so much football at early age, he may well still be playing now.  He''s not the only player either Giggs, Owen and countless others who started young have continuing injury problems because their bodies were not ready.  Hendo and Jarvis both still look like little boys to me.

The academy will bear fruit soon, we just have to be patient and hope the talent is there.  It''s all dependant on the youngsters talent and application.  As the saying goes, you can''t polish a turd!

[quote]I think it''s quite clearly a case of the youngsters not being good enough. Of the young players we have let go, only Zamora has done anything. Crow will be no exception, he may have scored goals but...[/quote]

I believe this is the case, and as has been mentioned on this site several times before the acadamy team which plays on a Saturday appears to be almost the same as the reserve team which plays Monday (at home) Tue or Wed surely this is too much too soon!

[quote]I think it''s quite clearly a case of the youngsters not being good enough. Of the young players we have let go, only Zamora has done anything. Crow will be no exception, he may have scored goals but...[/quote]

I believe this is the case, and as has been mentioned on this site several times before the acadamy team which plays on a Saturday appears to be almost the same as the reserve team which plays Monday (at home) Tue or Wed surely this is too much too soon!

[quote]I suppose the likes of Ipswich have had little choice but to use their Academy players recently, and the results could have gone either way. As much as it pains me to say it, you have to give them cre...[/quote]

I know Jarvis hasn''t scored bagfulls but he clearly is talented. Hendo is sharp up front when alongside him but I agree they don''t seem to be able to cut it at first team level, particularly Hendo.

Perhaps if we played Henderson in his preferred position which is as a striker and not on the right wing, we would see what he is really capable of, he also scored a few goals for us a couple of seasons ago so he knows how to finish.

I would like to see him start on Saturday alongside Ashton as I think the big/little partnership will work very well.