Sign in to follow this  

Keep hearing we are held back because certain players are under contract. So Why was Martin given a new contract? At the time the fans were united in slating his performances, anyone could see his legs had gone at this level, he had been struggling for some time. And got a new contract. Some claimed it was to help younger players but then he went out on loan anyway. ??!!

I think this was last year, so you''re a little bit late with the criticism, plenty made it at the time. In truth, decisions are made in all walks of life, for various reasons - some look odd at the time and work out, some don''t. It''s just the way of things.

As he was given a contract extension last summer it would have been on reduced terms, it was also only a one year extension so hardly a disaster.

I think Martin would be more suited to a back three now, he is more comfortable on the ball than Zimmermann and Hanley and a three would leave him less exposed.

In all honesty he’ll probably never play for Norwich again and hopefully a new club is found for him soon.

I''ve always thought Zimmerman looked very comfortable on the ball, certainly wouldn''t say Martin is more so.

He''s also hindered by the lack of height/poor timing in his jumps and a chronic lack of pace now. If he returned he shouldn''t be higher than 5th choice at this point.

He''s still right though Lapps.

The contract was a two year deal but he still had a year left on his previous deal meaning it only extended the contract by one year (with an option for one more).

I look forward to the shit show if we do take up that option though!

the extension was prior to webber or farke having seen him in action, and goes down as just one of those things. I see he is continuing is coaching badges at the moment. I dont think his wages are the worst in the world in relative terms.

I did wonder whether being part of a back three would make the most of his strengths and minimise his deficiences. However the fulham and sunderland games shattered that illusion when he was the weakest link in just that formation.

Great servant, articulate professional player but no longer of much use to us. I wonder whether we could use him as part of a deal with some of the peterborough talent that puts him at a league where he could compete and share his experience

I thought - foolish I know, given Russell Martin’s status as uber-scapegoat on here - this thread may be about Chris Martin. I don’t remember hearing anything about his loan from Derby to Reading. Anyone think we shoukd make a cheeky bid to get him back? Not the Webber model I know, but knows the league, should settle in relatively quickly and had potential once.

Better than Zimmermann and hanley with the ball at his feet?

Wow!

Isn’t it funny how we all see a different game because I actually think zimmernann’s distribution is very decent, ditto Hanley.

Don’t want to hammer the guy but Russ has been shocking for us really since he decided he was no longer a full back. A superb pro by all accounts and maybe he is a decent character to have around the club and may develop into a fine coach but right now, if he is to stay with us, he’s a bench player at best in my opinion.

Russell Martin may be ok in a back 3 but really never should have been a central defender.

There''s an argument to say he might be a better right back than pinto but defensively I think I''m a better right back than pinto..i just can''t run fast or for longer than 30 seconds...and I can''t really kick a ball far but other than that I''m a better player.

Have to agree with OP , nail on the head ...

We are paying (injured) veterans top money , and now we''re restricted because of it... a shame really

at this rate it looks like he could end up being this seasons back up right back.