Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Jordan Rhodes

There is speculation again that we are after the striker.

I suppose that he is not yet too old, and may actually be at a prime age, but Sheffield Wednesday it seems are trying to get his wages off their costs, in a similar way to us.

He has a good scoring record, but what would he cost, in terms of wages if not transfer fee, and would such a signing fit in with our determination to ''grow'' a team which could gain promotion and stay longer in the Premiership?

No, reports from my Wendy''s mates are that he has lost the plot. I can''t see how Farke could help him find it again. Despite not being that old, he has smelt the money and won''t be "hungry" enough to make an impression. The only thing in his favour is that he would be moving back to where he was brought up, but that again smacks of "retirement home / Costa del Colney" again.

Maybe we could do a swop with Naismith . He cost us £8M, Rhodes cost them £10M.

Naismith + £2M.

Seems fair.

At 27 he is younger than Iwain Roberts when we bought him. The wages and fee will be critical. If anyone can get a tune out of him he could be lethal, but he is not a one up front striker so the philosophy would have to change, playing alongside Srbeny as target man could work

He grew up in Yorkshire and didn’t come down south until he was 15/16.

I’m not a great fan of his, but he is something different as I mentioned on the other thread.

If Norwich can get him on loan with Wednesday covering a chunk of his wages I think he could be a good option. Things obviously haven’t worked out for him at a Sheffield but he was an important part of Boro’s promotion. Not sure I’d want him as first choice, but would be a threat off the bench. Norwich really lack anyone with the poacher instinct but it really revolves around what kind of cost he comes at. Norwich should not sign him on a permanent contract though.

Even if Wednesday agreed to sell at half the price they paid for him from Boro it would be 5 mill and then there are his wages..we all know that City could not afford that and will not pay that. But maybe they would be up for it if they could find a deal on his wages with a season long loan, which in my opinion, is well worth a punt.
Rhodes has undoubted scoring ability in the Champs, at Wednesday he never got the starts, they had way to many strikers for competition there, so if City can grab him for a season long loan, i would be happy with that, dont think a permanent is the right way to go in this instance.

It will be down to the money. He is far better than anything we have at the moment so it is a yes if the financial side suits.

He''s a good finisher no doubt but what I''m struggling with over this link is that (other than the obvious fact he can score chances) based on last season the lone striker in our system need to put in a big shift, win balls in the air and take on quite a heavy workload.

Rhodes is a player who can finish but generally does very little outside of the area and is a player I am not convinced is at all suited to playing that lone striker role.

I am not against signing him but one or two concerns about how joined up the thinking is between Farke and Webber if he comes as he does not strike me as a Farke type of player.

I can’t see him doing any worse than Oliviera and we’ve got to spend some of the money from the Josh and Madders sales, but can we play to his strengths?

There’s no way we’d sign him permanently with his wages but get ting him in loan for a season would be good.

As its a loan with no ongoing commitment we can probably exceed our new wage structure for a single season plus I suspect we will not be offering to pay all of his wages if we know Wednesday want him off the wage bill for the season.

Similar to us loaning out Naismith we are probably offering to cover a % of his wages.

I actually think he’d be a terrible signing for you lot and that’s not me being bitter.

He’s shown over the last couple of years that physicality he’s not at the same level he was 2-3 years back which is also reflected in his poor goal scoring return. Blackburn and Sheff Wed fans have stated how he’s incapable of playing as a lone striker (I can’t see Farke changing his system for you next season?)

You’d assume you’d be paying fairly decent money for him as well. Not convinced he’s at all what you need!

But, if it happens, time will tell!

If his goals get us above the binners this season it would be so worth it for the comedy value alone.

Loan with option to buy would be good business but as others have said wages could be an issue..

If we are going this route Ross McCormack on loan? Villa desperate to get some of his wages off their wage bill. Think he played a lone striker role when doing well at Fulham.

Obviously a risky loan but if he can get back into shape and hungry for goals not pies or pounds....may suit our play better but ideally we need a fast mobile striker who can hold up play and score wld be uselful

Quick look at some numbers shows that Rhodes had a conversion rate of 12.5%.

Nelson had 6.5%, Murphy 6% and Jerome 3.8%. Ge best Norwich player was Maddison with 12.1%.

12.5% isn’t great but better than any of Norwich’s forwards.

Seems totally wrong for our system but the board need to show fans some hint of ambition having just flogged the family silver- and a player on the way down but whose name excites ticks that box. If he comes I predict he will prove a costly flop unless we change the system- but hey ho! We do need strikers...

His work in the box was what he was best at - so a 1 in 8 strike rate being better than Nelsons isnt a surprise.

As I mentioned elsewhere the two bigger questions about him are whether the rest of his game fits our (or we can meld to his - will we create enough chances to sustain a 1/8? is he dependent on wingers for example) and whether he is still "up for it"

If its a loan to give an option I would have less issue with the trial.

Seems to me that the type of striker we need is one who works off the shoulder of a centre back and is able to find themselves in goal scoring positions to receive the ball from Buendia, Onel, Vrancic, MacLean or Leitner (if he signs).

I''m not so sure Farke is looking for a traditional target man or one who has to hold up a long ball directed at him from a clearance from defence. That said, plenty of teams in the Championship will close us down, forcing exactly that type of clearance, so we need a player who can do that too.

[quote user="Woodman"]Seems to me that the type of striker we need is one who works off the shoulder of a centre back and is able to find themselves in goal scoring positions to receive the ball from Buendia, Onel, Vrancic, MacLean or Leitner (if he signs).

I''m not so sure Farke is looking for a traditional target man or one who has to hold up a long ball directed at him from a clearance from defence. That said, plenty of teams in the Championship will close us down, forcing exactly that type of clearance, so we need a player who can do that too.[/quote]
It depends on offloading Oliveira, but if we do I imagine we are looking to bring in two strikers. In that case Rhodes might make sense. From what I know about Ducksch, which is pretty much nothing, he sounds more like a target man than a pure goalscorer, accepting those are crude definitions and a player can be a mixture. If he was our first choice that would suggest we are at least looking for that kind of player, irrespective of whether we also want the other type.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I really cannot see Rhodes being even under consideration.[/quote]

I really hope not would be a terrible fit, a player who does nothing outside the box for a team that creates nothing inside it.