Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Midfielders

If the rumours are true and Wilson and Leitner both join we''re surely done signing midfielders aren''t we?

We''d have...

Tettey

Vrancic

Leitner

McClean

Buendia

Godfrey

Trybull

Henandez

Wilson

all competing for 4 or 5 spots.

I wonder if Godfrey might be used as a backup right back as well as a midfielder?

Add Marshall to that list also, I think his ability to play as right wing back is something attractive to the club.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there is a surprise transfer out for someone, the Godfrey on loan to Rotherham springs to mind. Although McClean and Vrancic seem very similar players, maybe Mario is for the chop?

@Bethnal

I think that would be a shame as he improved hugely as the season went on. Based on what I''ve seen of them in Norwich shirts I''d take Vrancic over Leitner every time.

The one I''m questioning the most is the resigning of Tettey really as he seemed out of the door and with a natural successor in place.

You''ve got to believe there is a plan and maybe some of these midfielders might show an ability to play in different positions.

Reminds me of when we were screaming out for centre backs but kept singing attacking midfielders. Now we scream out for attackers and keep signing midfielders.

Surely we need every penny to secure two decent attackers who can actually score within the boring system we play? Why sign more midfielders when that area is covered. Leitner did ok but he hardly pulled up trees last season

And shockingly DCB finds a reason to moan.

You do realise signing Leitner doesnt stop us signing a striker?

The rumours about Godfrey going on a season long loan to Rotherham won''t go away.
I''d expect them to want both Wilson and Marshall. Buendia is going to struggle to adjust immediately, and two from Hernandez, Wilson and Marshall looks really strong. I think because they could struggle to recruit quality strikers, they''ll want competition amongst the wingers.
You''ve missed Stiepermann out. [:P]

[quote user="king canary"]If the rumours are true and Wilson and Leitner both join we''re surely done signing midfielders aren''t we?

We''d have...

Tettey

Vrancic

Leitner

McClean

Buendia

Godfrey

Trybull

Henandez

Wilson

all competing for 4 or 5 spots.

I wonder if Godfrey might be used as a backup right back as well as a midfielder?[/quote]
This doesn''t smack of a squad being assembled to hope for a mid table place
The names mentioned above are those signed since farke arrived so I doubt if any will be moved on.
Buendia, Onel, Wilson and Marshall would be seen as more attacking players as I expect we will continue with the belief that goals should be coming from all the midfield/attacking players.
Pick up an injury ot two and those options sudden;y look thin on the ground.

On the other hand Mr Benn it is a lot of players to keep happy.

Of those 10 midfielders even if 5 are in the starting line up you''re probably leaving 2 or 3 of them out of the 18, let alone on the bench.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]You can add Louis Thompson to your original list as well King Canary.[/quote]
After 2 years of not playing I think you can put him with Jarvis in the unlikely to play for the club again pile.

Numbers wise we are likely to be only 1, maybe 2 more than last season I reckon. And we were lacking in depth as soon as just Trybull was injured.

I think it''s a pretty old way of looking at it to lump all the midfielders in together.

Tettey, Godfrey and Thompson will all compete for the defensive midfield

Tyrbull and maybe Mclean are more all rounders, leaving the others to compete for either an attacking role next to a holding player or somewhere even further forwards off the main striker.

@Yellowbeagle

Even if you break it down more the numbers are quite high- if you''re looking at players that would compete for 2 or 3 central positions then you''ve got

Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey, Vrancic, Leitner, McClean.

I''ve thought we might look at a 3-4-3 formation but any lineup I put together in that shape leaves out at least 3 or 4 of those names listed above.

[quote user="king canary"]@Yellowbeagle

Even if you break it down more the numbers are quite high- if you''re looking at players that would compete for 2 or 3 central positions then you''ve got

Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey, Vrancic, Leitner, McClean.

I''ve thought we might look at a 3-4-3 formation but any lineup I put together in that shape leaves out at least 3 or 4 of those names listed above.[/quote]

I agree it is high but I think we are going to see a midfielder heavy approach probably with a more continental rotating policy. Lets face If we get 30 odd matches out of Tettey that will be good going, Trybull and Leitner I doubt would be able to play a 46 game season either without getting injured. I also think Vrancic and Leitner may share the Maddison role next season. I think part of the problem, myself included is we''re all used to the British approach where we want the same 11 players to play every game possible.

@Yellowbeagle

I guess I''ve developed a level of scepticism when it comes to our squad building following on from the Alex Neil debacle of ''you can''t have too many number 10''s!''

The one I''m most intrigued as to where he will fit is McLean- he managed 11 goals in all competitions last season (and we''ll need goals from midfield) and he won''t have signed to sit on the bench.

Sorry i''ve been away but we still have Cantwell in the Mid department don''t we or has he gone out on loan again?