Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Yanic Wildschut to Wigan

The Mirror are reporting that Wigan are ''closing in on Wildschut''.

I think he could still offer something, but there is a question over his end product. Either way, if he''s not going to play, we may as well cash in on him.

It''s just popped up on the EDP. Loan apparently so maybe we''re not cashing in.

Hopefully they''ll be paying a good chuck of his wages at least.

[quote user="king canary"]Another gold star for the Alex Neil transfer policy.[/quote]Aye clearly a turkey of a signing especially for 7m, but then the new lot took Marley Watkins on for example. You can''t win them all.

[quote user="KiwiScot"][quote user="king canary"]Another gold star for the Alex Neil transfer policy.[/quote]Aye clearly a turkey of a signing especially for 7m, but then the new lot took Marley Watkins on for example. You can''t win them all.[/quote]

No, but at least Watkins was a free and we''ve been able to shift him on.

Luckily Wildschut won’t cost anywhere near the £7m package Norwich agreed with Wigan (a large chunk of which was based on Norwich getting promoted).

At least with Marley Watkins he has actually performed well in the Championship previously. It was known before Norwich signed him that Wildschut struggled at Championship level (he wasn’t particularly convincing at League One level either).

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="KiwiScot"][quote user="king canary"]Another gold star for the Alex Neil transfer policy.[/quote]Aye clearly a turkey of a signing especially for 7m, but then the new lot took Marley Watkins on for example. You can''t win them all.[/quote]

No, but at least Watkins was a free and we''ve been able to shift him on.[/quote]I don''t think his policy was that bad apart from signing a few from Hamilton and I think they must have had a lack of oversight from the contracts being splashed out. The comparisons between now and then have to consider the differences in budget. We seemed to be yanic buying(amongst youth signings) to keep up with the pace and supplement the established squad then.

“Luckily Wildschut won’t cost anywhere near the £7m package Norwich agreed with Wigan (a large chunk of which was based on Norwich getting promoted). “

👍

Amazed people still claim his transfer record wasn''t bad.

Wildschut

Naismith

Jarvis

Mulumbu

Andreu

McGovern

Canos

Bamford

I''d hate to think of all the money those lot cost us for negligible return.

Wildschut was going to be anything like that £7m figure, even AN himself burst out laughing at the mention of it, but it seems to have stuck.

There were some ropey signings in there, though remember several mentioned were bought for the Champs and we then got promoted. There were some good ones as well, such as Maddison.

It''s been mentioned on here before that signings like Maddison and Thompson (ones for the future) didn''t sit with Neil.

Only Andreu of those listed was bought before our promotion.

He was utterly awful in the transfer market and I will die on this hill.

I can''t bring myself to solely blame Neil for Yanic/Naismith and especially Jarvis. Club panicked for the first 2 and I think Johnson was all about McNally.
Dorrans played a decent part in the turnaround in form and he was signed as soon as Neil got here.
Then for every Yannic or Jarvis there was a Brady or Pritchard. You win some, you lose some.

I’m on that hill too King.

Also, he didn’t sign Canos, but froze out a good Championship player for seemingly little reason so he left Norwich after 6 months.

As well as that, he managed to have a big falling out with Maddison (who really doesn’t speak well of him). There is a strong chance had Alex not been sacked that Maddison would have been sold last summer.

He was given too much control over signings and wasted most of Norwich’s largest ever transfer budget.

I don''t know how anyone can say the Neil was decent or even average in the transfer market. Alex Neil''s key players after two seasons were still players brought in by previous managers, that tells you a large part of his problem. The sad thing ultimately for this club was I think he was a good manager in the main in the other aspects of the role.

I''m hazarding a guess here aswell, but surely part of the reason for the current set up is because they don''t want to trust anymore managers 100% with recruitment.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]The Mirror are reporting that Wigan are ''closing in on Wildschut''.

I think he could still offer something, but there is a question over his end product. Either way, if he''s not going to play, we may as well cash in on him.[/quote]
I posted about Wildschut to Wigan on Sunday afternoon in the City Summer transfer thread, where i think most of these rumours  should be kept, its tidier to keep  this stuff in one place, but seem most posters are more happy to write complete new topics with every new rumour. Just a thought.

Essjayess

I''d say with the useless quote function on here it''s difficult to have conversations about multiple topics happening in one thread and separate threads is much easier.

@bethnal

Exactly.

He also managed to misuse some of the few good players he did sign (Brady, Pritchard) and compounded his errors by not signing players in key weak positions. In his time here he only signed two defenders on permanent deals despite it being a point of weakness for long periods.

To be fair to Alex Neil, if you''re going to hire a manager who''s previous experience of transfers is at a bottom half Scots Prem club who''s transfer policy mainly revolves around seeing who they can get on trial and then signing them for free if they are half decent, you are going to want an appropriate and proven scouting team in place, something that we cocked up over and over again. From Hughton until Webber turned up we probably went through more chief scouts than centre backs.