Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Leitner signs permanently

Sometimes Maddison was incredibly quick thinking but he did occasionally slow play down by turning quickly and beating his man, only to wait and do it again rather than release. It wasn''t the case generally but it was sometimes an issue particularly at home. More than made up by his goals and assists though!

I think pretty much every player is guilty of slowing it down on occasions though. I''m not sure the idea that Vrancic or Leitner (who are far more guilty of this than Maddison ever was) stepping up is going to make this a lesser occurrence.

Leitner releases the ball pretty quickly even in his deeper position. Equally Vrancic played early balls over the top for our wingers to run on to - Maddison rarely did this. It''s probably the one criticism you could make in his direction

Dean Coney''s boots - "One honestly starts to wonder if some people are paid by the board to be positive no matter what. That this thread claims we will be better without Madders just says it all. Deluded doesn’t come close."

I''m not sure that anybody has said this DCB. I have wondered whether we might be more effective, but certainly would not claim that this is a certainty!Equally, I suspect that many of us taking a more optimistic line are capable of recognising that there is a possible element of wishful thinking.I think it is more a matter of psychological type - some are optimistic and hope to be proved right whilst others are pessimistic and I imagine hope to be proved wrong. From my perspective, it must be better to have some hope...?

Maddison is one of the best players i have seen here but like when we had Hucks again a very good player all our play mostly went through the star man

if we can even it out more and play more as a team than yes we may do better

a bigger team like Man Utd they are mostly all stars so it is spread out but for us one man who is head and shoulders above his team mates and it is so predictable and easier to play against

I''m sure Madders will be fine playing for Leicester, they have more talent surrounding him and he''ll iron out any issues in his game there. Now as he isn''t playing for us any more, I''d offer a different example of a player who always took the ball and really did slow us down - Robert Snodgrass. Were we better when he left? Yes we were. Will we be better after Madders? As a team we could be, but only if we adjust the talent in our squad to be more balanced and/or focused than what we had available to us this year.

I was starting to get worried there was a hitch with the Leitner signing...

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Great news!

Does anyone have any idea of what the ''undisclosed fee'' was? Usually there''s an approximation...[/quote]
From the Pinkun/EDP article - £1.5 million

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Great news!

Does anyone have any idea of what the ''undisclosed fee'' was? Usually there''s an approximation...[/quote]
There was quite a sign a month or so back that Leitner wanted to make it permanent. Supposedly - with a pinch of salt - Lazio paid around 1.7m pounds when they bought him from Borussia Dortmund. I would imagine we have not paid more, or much more, than that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Fee won’t be over £1.5m. Augsburg were desperate to move him on and only paid that for him last season. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was less than a million.[/quote]
I defer to Bethnal''s more up to date knowledge. And if it is only around a million or even less that would look like even better business.

Anywhere under 2mil is great business IMHO, a technically good player with excellent passing and who has the ability to really get a midfield ticking over if on form and doesn''t have injuries get in the way.

Decent transfer at rumoured fee. Though not as overjoyed as may on here as I saw lots of neat fancy skills but little impact on games last season.

The downside, of course, is that he doesn’t actually add to what we have given he was already here. So the next fee signings are the important ones - currently we are down our two best attacking threats and up nothing. Over to Webber...

Hee''s had a few injuries that have stunted his progress it seems. Hopefully just been unlucky as opposed to recurring ones and he can crack on with us. Look at Van Persie when he went to Man U, the injuries magically stopped!

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Another question, why were Augsburg so desperate to get rid? Injuries?[/quote]
I heard he didn''t fit their style. I think the manager who signed him didn''t last long, and he was left in limbo.

Think he sgowed enough when here that he''d be a good signing, decent vision and a good pass and shot. I think his role is probably more naturally like the Maddison''s but that was obviously taken.

Super signing. He will not be like Wes, not be like Madders. He will be Mo Leitner and time will tell us what that will yield.
So, Wes, Josh and young Madders, along with Watkins are gone, City get somewhere like 35 mill for them. In come McLean, Buendia and Mo Leitner for a total sum of 3-4 mill as best we know. That is quite remarkable and of course happens at a perfect time with parachute payments over.
If Mo is the single solitary new permanent German we get this close season, it could not have been a better guy. Well done Webber for bringing him in.

[quote user="Essjayess"]
Super signing. He will not be like Wes, not be like Madders. He will be Mo Leitner and time will tell us what that will yield.
So, Wes, Josh and young Madders, along with Watkins are gone, City get somewhere like 35 mill for them. In come McLean, Buendia and Mo Leitner for a total sum of 3-4 mill as best we know. That is quite remarkable and of course happens at a perfect time with parachute payments over.
If Mo is the single solitary new permanent German we get this close season, it could not have been a better guy. Well done Webber for bringing him in.
[/quote]Exactly how I see it. Brilliant acquisition. 

Agree.

He’s not a Wes or a Madders but the guy has an air of class about him.

He wasn’t match fit when he came and then got injured but I saw enough to be happy that we’ve managed to get him.

We had a discussion around us at CR about not wanting him to shine to much as that would put at risk any chance of getting him in.

Excellent attitude, was training while others were on their break. Would make a good captain - if only some of that attitude would rub off on Nelson.