Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Next Season

[quote user="Well b back"][quote user="SwindonCanary"]Next season ?  Selling our best players and replacing them with something cheaper, there''s only one way we will be going. [/quote]

Maddison was a cheap player as was Hanley and Zimmerman.[/quote]
Maddison at £2 million was indeed a cheap purchase at the time we had a few bob and was bought for the future and not needed for immediate first team action but today we need players to step up to the plate and be in the first team squad from day one. As for having £2 million to spend on a youngster i am afraid those days are gone.
Hanley was a buy brought about by awful defensive displays at Villa and Millwall and was forced upon Webber and Farke through a need to shore up a very leaky defence. How much did we pay by the way as i suspect it was above our desired budget level for 2017/18 ?
Zimmermann was cheap but for one like him Webber and Farke wasted around £3.5 million on Franke.

As usual, I don''t get the pessimism.  Even without new players and even if we sell the obvious ones, we still have a good group of players. Looking forward to the prospect of seeing McLean, Vrancic, a decent

runner in Hernandez, Trybull and Tettey as dms, Godfrey and maybe

Thompson involved, Pinto (if he stays) Hanley Lewis and Zimmermann who

has been outstanding at times this season.  Klose too, if he stays and I

hope he does.
We are one or two players from being an exceptional side imo - a striker maybe, a goalkeeper (or maybe Remi).  Idah may step up, or a PL loanee come in.....it''s not difficult to see positives if you look for them. 
It''s easy to be negative, but in this case I don''t think it''s hard to be positive either.  Easy to say from a distance? Maybe, but the staff will be doing their utmost to give us a better season next time and looking at the players we are likely to have, then it is far from gloomy a prospect.

I''m generally optimistic about Norwich, especially going into a new season...

But if i''m honest, i think we''ll be in a relegation battle next season.

I do hope i''m completely and utterly wrong of course, but can only see us being significantly weaker than last season with the loss of (at least) Maddison, Gunn, and Reed, and i don''t think Farke is tactically up to the job. I also expect the three sides promoted from League 1 to make it a bit tougher at the bottom end of the division than it was this year.

Hopefully i revisit this thread and feel a complete idiot, come next May.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
As usual, I don''t get the pessimism.  Even without new players and even if we sell the obvious ones, we still have a good group of players. Looking forward to the prospect of seeing McLean, Vrancic, a decent

runner in Hernandez, Trybull and Tettey as dms, Godfrey and maybe

Thompson involved, Pinto (if he stays) Hanley Lewis and Zimmermann who

has been outstanding at times this season.  Klose too, if he stays and I

hope he does.
We are one or two players from being an exceptional side imo - a striker maybe, a goalkeeper (or maybe Remi).  Idah may step up, or a PL loanee come in.....it''s not difficult to see positives if you look for them. 
It''s easy to be negative, but in this case I don''t think it''s hard to be positive either.  Easy to say from a distance? Maybe, but the staff will be doing their utmost to give us a better season next time and looking at the players we are likely to have, then it is far from gloomy a prospect.
[/quote]
'' We are one or two players away from being an EXCEPTIONAL side '' !!!!!!! Lakey whatever are you on mate ?

[quote user="Windy MIller "]I agree with LDC

Provided we sign Messi, Ronaldo etc we will be an exceptional team[/quote]
I seem to recall Lakey was a fan of De Gea so maybe sign him as a replacement for Gunn and this exceptional side he talks about will be starting to take shape.

The problem is LDC that 6 of those players you''ve listed all play in one position. We can''t get Vrancic, Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey, Thompson and McLean all in the lineup.

I can’t see how next season could possibly be expected to be any better than this season? We are going to be without our most influential player of this season and will be putting faith in centre forwards who are untried at this level and inexperienced at this level. We may unearth an absolute gem but the odds are very stacked against that. I’m expecting a lower table finish but hope remains for a miracle.

[quote user="king canary"]The problem is LDC that 6 of those players you''ve listed all play in one position. We can''t get Vrancic, Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey, Thompson and McLean all in the lineup.[/quote]
That just indicates the depth of squad we might have. I am in full agreement we need another striker, maybe two, but the rest of the squad is not so weak looking as some would have us believe.  We were creating more towards the end of the season and we have an AM coming in if Maddison goes so midfield and defensive midfield looks strong. 

I think we’ll get relegated. Hopefully, upon being right, the spectacular release of endorphins to those that have been predicting our impending doom will cause a clutch of cataclysmic coronaries. Outlived by the Smith regime....the shame....

“One or two players away from an exceptional side”

Makes me wonder why we were so shit this season then if we’re so close to perfection? Which two players are we missing to create this exceptional side? If we are truly this close to exceptional then you would have to point the finger at Farke for not getting anywhere close to the potential out of this world beating squad.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I think we’ll get relegated. Hopefully, upon being right, the spectacular release of endorphins to those that have been predicting our impending doom will cause a clutch of cataclysmic coronaries. Outlived by the Smith regime....the shame....[/quote]

What about those of us who think it''s going to be a long, hard season, but don''t want Delia out?

we are going to find out if Farke is as good as some claim

I also include Webber as this is his plan blueprint the whole club is working to

so if no improvement well done the board for trying something new but we have to get someone experienced in

i want someone who gets more out the players than their ability

At the moment we have someone who is not getting the best out of the team as a whole and that must change

we had one of the best young midfielders in the country a portugal international upfront and a internationals at the back we should have done a lot better as a team

Bloody hell, the way some of you talk on here the EFL best be drafting plans to create a 25th position in the table just for us.

I agree with LDC. Last season was the first for a while where we haven''t been embarrassed by the top/prem sides. The defence has improved beyond belief.

We need to deal better with the more physical sides and turn our possession into more goals. We have too many creative midfield players which is limiting us to shots from distance.

Perhaps the sale of Madison will work in our favour as it will allow us to bring a different type of attacking midfielder into the side.

I am happy for the incoming transfer money to be spent on future development. The lone striker here is always going to struggle under the current system and we have seen that the more we spend on a striker, the more of a disaster it becomes

The spirit and the ethic of the Germans has been outstanding. The wheels are starting to turn again

Good post CY, but an improvement is vital from the referees first whistle at the outset of the new campaign as I feel that it might well be a case of "next season or never" in order to avoid the bubble bursting.

"Perhaps the sale of Madison will work in our favour as it will allow us to bring a different type of attacking midfielder into the side."

I have long thought this as well as so much play was eventually channelled through the boy. The mid-field will have a new complexion which might well lead to an overall improvement in fortunes.

I never wear this "Maddison''s goals" saved us from relegation (based on statistics) mantra as the on-field set-up would have been different and we would still have had ten outfield players.

Nobody wants to lose JM but there could be compensations over and above the £20+m we should get for him.

Overall the German input has been a decent success and sufficiently so for us to anticipate better next season, imo.

I really can''t agree that our defence has improved beyond belief'' - 4-1 at QPR and 5-1 at Sheff Wed, 4-3 at Hull. We still have an alarming ability to collapse or put in a catastrophic defensive display.

Selling Maddison for £20m+ will stabilise us for the loss of the parachute payments, so the sales of others will go toward funding replacements. Klose (£3m?), Oliveira (£3-5m?), Murphy (£6-7m), Watkins (£1-2m). Plus we need to shift Naismith, McGovern, Jarvis and Martin to get their wages off the bill.

Of course, I''ll be there in mid-August full of optimism and eager to see how any new signings shape up, but it''s a Brave New World and we''ll need to see a lot of improvement if we are going to be challenging the top 6 next season.

Shifting Naismith, McGovern, Jarvis and Martin off the wage bill, will be the hardest part. Selling players, though not for the fees you are predicting !  We will probably achieve.   

Depends on if the last season was a learning experience for Farke. Also must keep perspective. When clubs in the premiership are spending multi millions it leaves the rest struggling.

So, with this "exceptional team" we are going to have next season anything less than automatic promotion must be counted as a failure.

[quote user="Making Plans"]So, with this "exceptional team" we are going to have next season anything less than automatic promotion must be counted as a failure.[/quote]
That surely depends on how may other clubs get it together to put up a strong team - there are almost bound to be other very good teams up there. It''s a competition, after all.  Anything other than top six would be a real disappointment.

In my world, exceptional is better than good so therefore an exceptional team should win the league. But of course you can have an exceptional team managed by an out of his depth manager who plays the wrong tactics and fail. Conversley, you can have good team managed by an experienced manager who plays the right tactics and succeeds.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="Making Plans"]So, with this "exceptional team" we are going to have next season anything less than automatic promotion must be counted as a failure.[/quote]
That surely depends on how may other clubs get it together to put up a strong team - there are almost bound to be other very good teams up there. It''s a competition, after all.  Anything other than top six would be a real disappointment.
[/quote]

If you still consider that this team has a prayer of a top six position after the sorry tail/tale of last season you too must live in Delia''s fantasy world! There are at least eight stronger teams than us in this league without those coming down from the Prem. Can''t you see LDC that Webber and his ''merry men'' are already starting to moderate our expectations for next season?

What did you say about our chances last time we got promoted to the prem? Or the time before that? I could take the time to search but reckon I already know the answer.

On each occasion previous to promotion to the Prem in the past we had a team that showed different consistency/desire than this lot hogesar.

It was the failure to build on what we had achieved that caused us problems then. Sadly success in football carries high risks and if you are not prepared to take them you accept the mediocrity that we will have to become familiar with again.

We are like the Banker that never lent money. Did n''t make much profit but by goodness his bad debt record was excellent!

[quote user="Derby Canary"]On each occasion previous to promotion to the Prem in the past we had a team that showed different consistency/desire than this lot hogesar.

It was the failure to build on what we had achieved that caused us problems then. Sadly success in football carries high risks and if you are not prepared to take them you accept the mediocrity that we will have to become familiar with again.

We are like the Banker that never lent money. Did n''t make much profit but by goodness his bad debt record was excellent![/quote]
You can''t fault the desire in most of the matches last season. There were two or three where we were a bit powder puff, but you can forgive inconsistency when so much change has been taking place.  And talking of risks, I think you could say in hindsight that spending every last penny we had on the team to try and stay in the PL was a risk.  Taking on Hughton was a risk. Neil Adams and Alex Neil were risks, taking on Webber and Farke is a risk.  Football is a risk business and we are as good as anyone in that respect.
As for "mediocrity that we will have to come familar with again" - mediocrity is not something I would ever associate with NCFC, we have not been stuck in the second tier of football for long over the last fifty years. If you think that the Lambert years were special, you would be right, but they were exceptions.  Very few clubs ever have that kind of a run and most of the time it is a battle to achieve success and looking back, we have had our fair share of excitement and success.  Football is about ups and downs, not mediocrity...unless you are Ipswich. 

Would n''t disagree entirely LDC.

Risk in football is a little like our own health. You cannot be certain that you

will not contract something fatal but you can reduce the odds (by not smoking/drinking to xs etc etc).

As you suggest we have taken risks in the transfer market but those risks were ''amplified'' by

a naive Board taking on an inexperienced Manager that demonstrated that his one real flaw was

that he had not got a clue when it came to recruitment. After one wasteful/scary close season

our naive Board decided next time that recruiting nobody was the less risky option!

I agree that we see ups and down with our Club but one decent result followed by two no shows

throughout the season is not what I want to see and says as more about the players commitment/character

than it does their ability.

As for Lambert, yes I agree those were exciting years, but he too has demonstrated that without Culverhouse

he is much like Clough without Taylor!