Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Bournemouth & Watford ' Allegedly ' Sniffing Around Jamal Lewis.

Impressive youth system product nurtured by new setup and now attracting interest for big money which our other good business will probably mean comes to nothing.

STILL a stick to beat the club with. Some of our fans are parasitic.

Oh here we go abusive name calling for people who might have a different view to you on the direction of travel the club are taking.

I really can’t see there being anything in this yet. But if he has a flying first half of the season we may well be seeing our next big money departure here. I’d like to hope we have enough ambition to return to the PL to keep these talents and make a go of it but I think our position on these matters is clear.

Delia out. Stinking rich Mongolian owner in.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]Worth pointing out that Geoff Peters works for TalkSh!te.

Amazing how people get their knickers in a twist over a bit of media chatter, it''s almost as if they are sitting with phone / keyboard in hand just waiting to be outraged by something.[/quote]
given the names queuing up to have a pop at the club I would suspect it is probably something other than their phone / keyboard they have in their hand

Mr Benn wrote the following post at 27/06/2018 8:53 PM:

Gordon Bennett wrote:

Worth pointing out that Geoff Peters works for TalkSh!te. Amazing how people get their knickers in a twist over a bit of media chatter, it''s almost as if they are sitting with phone / keyboard in hand just waiting to be outraged by something.

given the names queuing up to have a pop at the club I would suspect it is probably something other than their phone / keyboard they have in their hand

I can see only one W⚓️ On this thread....

Well as the Finances were all in hand and there was not a shortfall before we sold Maddison and Murphy we must be minted now !

BobLoz3 wrote the following post at 27/06/2018 4:46 PM:

One could look at it in the very negative, panty pi$$ers way that Til et al are looking at it or one could say,

"Wow. Isn''t it encouraging that we can bring a young player on to the extent that Prem teams are sniffing around and we can make money from our youth assets?"

Afterall, that is what we''re trying to do now.

That’s really something to get exited about! How much profit we can make from our players. Remind me again how many points we get for profit, is it 1 point per £ million or 2, I can’t remember?...

Delia out. Stinking rich Mexican owner in.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Oh here we go abusive name calling for people who might have a different view to you on the direction of travel the club are taking.[/quote]

No issue with different opinions, but people skewing the truth to try and fit some bizarre regime that somehow makes them feel better is pathetic.

It might be a rumour, it might just be paper talk, there might not be nothing in it, everybody hopes that it won''t happen but everybody knows that it would be foolish to rule it out.
After all, it''s what we do, isn''t it?

I think some would like it to happen so they can have a reason to start howling at the moon again.

Whilst selling Lewis (and Godfrey for that matter) would be premature and generally unpopular the situation does reveal the bigger picture relating to the self-sufficiency model.

One advantage of us not being Premier League is that such players can be brought through more quickly. Lewis likely wouldn''t have had a look in if we had been a top table club and even Maddison would probably not have been afforded the prominence that he was.

With several promising youngster ''bubbling under'' and likely to become established in our match day squad in the near future having monied clubs interested in the cream of those will be something we will have to get used to.

I had previously thought the model of being self-sufficiency, of relying upon a stream of youth sales in order to inject survival income highly ambitious, unrealistic and deluded but recent events are belying this view. Whether or not this is s freak period in the club''s history will eventually be seen, but it seems not to be.

The secret seems to lie in the timing. If cash is needed they will be sold on but otherwise it would seem that within a year or two we could well have a very good team comprising many of our own who could be capable of reasonably aspiring to higher things.

Our Category A status is a shining light towards a healthy future for the club despite the current sackcloth and ashes mentality that pervades and which is exemplified by the hysteria that results from the publication of the slightest rumour ... as this surely is.

Funny how when Southampton were selling the likes of Bale (5 mil), Oxlade-Chamberlain (12 mil), Shaw (27 mil), Chambers (16 mil), Lovren (20 mil), Lallana (25 mil), Schneiderlin (25 mil) and a number of others (e.g. Mane) for top money, nobody was claiming they were either tinpot, selling off their young talent or ''having a firesale'', yet we sell a couple of players and suddenly you''d think the farking crown jewels had been let go for ten bob and a bag of conkers...

Not having a go at you indy but Southampton did all that and kept their PL status also replaced the players with players just as good as one that left apart from Bale / Mane

where we are sliding backwards another bad season like last and we could be trouble

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Not having a go at you indy but Southampton did all that and kept their PL status also replaced the players with players just as good as one that left apart from Bale / Mane

where we are sliding backwards another bad season like last and we could be trouble[/quote]But in almost every case, they sold those players and replaced them with people costing half what they received.
E.g. Shaw for 27m replaced with Bertrand for 10m, Lovren for 20m replaced with Van Dijk for 11m etc.
There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BobLoz3"]One could look at it in the very negative, panty pi$$ers way that Til et al are looking at it or one could say,"Wow. Isn''t it encouraging that we can bring a young player on to the extent that Prem teams are sniffing around and we can make money from our youth assets?"Afterall, that is what we''re trying to do now.
[/quote]
What exactly was a '' panty pi$$ers '' way of looking at it then as merely reported what has been printed by Archant and do you seriously think we would say no to anything approaching £10 million ?
I would rather hope we built a team around Jamal Lewis to push us up the table but i get the impression you are quite happy for us to churn over young players from the Academy and tread water from your '' make money from our youth assets '' comment.
[/quote]Just a negative way of looking at it. Right now it''s paper talk and, as has been said, probably an agent trying to drum up some more money for his client. I don''t believe for one minute that Jamal will be leaving us this season.Also, if we made significant profits from selling our youth assets (who have perhaps moved up to the first team and performed well for a couple of seasons) it would be a positive thing. We wouldn''t be treading water, we''d be in a more secure financial position and then perhaps able to spend more money on incomings. This has been the way with many clubs, Southampton being one of the prime examples.Nice one.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.
[/quote]
The possibility of us spending 4-5m on anybody is highly unlikely.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
[quote user="norfolkngood"]Not having a go at you indy but Southampton did all that and kept their PL status also replaced the players with players just as good as one that left apart from Bale / Mane

where we are sliding backwards another bad season like last and we could be trouble[/quote]But in almost every case, they sold those players and replaced them with people costing half what they received.
E.g. Shaw for 27m replaced with Bertrand for 10m, Lovren for 20m replaced with Van Dijk for 11m etc.
There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.
[/quote]

I''d say wages is one reason. Southampton are still spending multi, multi millions on their replacements and will be paying them enough to attract good players.

A £4m-£5m signing is likely to want/attract wage offers above what we can afford.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Exactly MP but some people still think we will have the ability to shop in Waitrose as opposed to the reality of Poundland.

I don’t know why this is difficult to grasp but we are in a temporary financial hole. The sale of Maddison and Murphy has hopefully largely rectified the gap between income and outgoings. Once that has been resolved, which would appear to be soon, we will be able to reinvest far more of any profits of player sales. History is not necessarily a predictor of the future.

Probably just paper talk, but if the rumour of £10 million is correct, I would grab it with both hands. I can''t see how we are we are going to get that much more for a left back, whilst we are still in the championship and can''t believe that we couldn''t get someone as good for far less + use the rest to strengthen other areas!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Exactly MP but some people still think we will have the ability to shop in Waitrose as opposed to the reality of Poundland.
[/quote]From what we''ve seen so far, the sales of Murphy, Maddison and Watkins have covered any expected shortfall AND given us something on top to play with.
Therefore should the club decide to sell Lewis, that money is theoretically available for use on a talented replacement for less than half the price, even with the expectation of that coming with slightly higher wages.
We are not even close to having to shop in Poundland, and whilst we may not be able to shop in Waitrose, we can still afford most places ''Specially Selected'' (or similar ranges) to go alongside our everyday branded items.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]There''s no reason we couldn''t sell Lewis for 10m and replace with a 4-5m defender who could do just as well for us.
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]From what we''ve seen so far, the sales of Murphy, Maddison and Watkins have covered any expected shortfall AND given us something on top to play with.
Therefore should the club decide to sell Lewis, that money is theoretically available for use on a talented replacement for less than half the price, even with the expectation of that coming with slightly higher wages.
We are not even close to having to shop in Poundland, and whilst we may not be able to shop in Waitrose, we can still afford most places ''Specially Selected'' (or similar ranges) to go alongside our everyday branded items.
[/quote]
Presumably we were willing to spend 3m euros on Ducksch, which would be not that far off. Still it is great to see that that the ultimate self-tribute supergroup, The Miserabilists, is still with us, reunited onthis thread. With John Tilson from The Glums, Highland Canary, formerly with We''re In The Gutter Looking Down, and Making Plans, who was forced to leave The Doom and Gloom Merchants on account of "excessive pessimism".

[:D][:D]
I''m not sure why Til keeps making this poundland references - wasn''t Buendia around 1.5m? Conversely, those down the road have signed a winger on a free transfer who''s contract expired at Crawley.

[quote user="hogesar"][:D][:D]
I''m not sure why Til keeps making this poundland references - wasn''t Buendia around 1.5m? Conversely, those down the road have signed a winger on a free transfer who''s contract expired at Crawley.
[/quote]

Nottingham Forest & Middlesbrough are spending as will other clubs, far more than we are... that was the point TIL was probably making. I would suggest that we are very much spending in the same shop as those down the road, we are just shopping in the German branch...

Pity AGAIN to see those not "on message" getting the doom & gloom tag. All a bit silly really...

Some solid cognitive dissonance going on here- so many who were delighted with the new system and talking about a long term plan and building a team for the future also seem happy to sell everyone with any potential and buy new players.

Firstly selling Lewis would give Farke another position to refill with a new player (along with keeper, striker, attacking midfielder, winger). Do we really want to start next season with another 5 or 6 new starters who need to get used to pace of the game or Farke''s style of play? Actually I reckon some might do so they can trot out the ''well he''s having to embed a lot of new players so success was never on the cards this season'' excuse again.

Secondly fans go to the stadiums to support healthy balance sheets (apart from maybe Purple). I understand we''ve needed the money but 2018 alone we''ve already sold around £50m worth of players- you have to draw a line somewhere.

In isolation £10m for a left back with less than a season under his belt is great business but the transfer doesn''t happen in isolation, it happens against a backdrop of us having sold every good player under the age of 25 in the last 6-7 months.

Urgh

Meant to say ''Fans don''t go to the stadiums to support healthy balance sheets.''

With this and Frankenstein its been a hell of a day for my posts.

[quote user="Mike "]Pity AGAIN to see those not "on message" getting the doom & gloom tag. All a bit silly really...[/quote]What''s silly Mike is the incessant slating of everyone from the board, to Webber, to Farke to the players, and all because we''re not being run by a multi-billionaire that''s willing to throw stupid amounts of money at the club and not care if they lose it.
We keep hearing about the board screwed up, and they won''t look for investment, blah, blah, blah - none of which makes a blind bit of difference to the position we ARE in, and certainly isn''t indicative of fans getting behind the club, manager and it''s players.
If people are so hacked off about the board, why aren''t they making a point of actually doing something about it beyond regurgitating the same tired spiel all over an internet message board? Where are the protests? Where are the meetings being arranged for concerned fans? Where is ANY effort from the ''doom and gloom merchants'' to actually either get behind the team or actively try to do something productive towards getting a change beyond whining on here???
I''m not going to speak for Til or any other poster, but if that''s what he meant, then that''s what he should have said, but the truth I personally took from that post, is that it was yet another dig at the club rather than a constructive comment about the situation, nor any real attempt to have a sensible discussion, others such as yourself may well see it differently.

Agreed Kingo. Folk don''t go to games to watch balance sheets. But it seems money is all that bothers people at the moment. Let''s hope that when the football starts the football will gain more importance.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
If people are so hacked off about the board, why aren''t they making a point of actually doing something about it beyond regurgitating the same tired spiel all over an internet message board? Where are the protests? Where are the meetings being arranged for concerned fans? Where is ANY effort from the ''doom and gloom merchants'' to actually either get behind the team or actively try to do something productive towards getting a change beyond whining on here???
[/quote]
I sincerely hope you are not including me in that Indy because if you are i am sure that my background of involvement with NCISA from 1995-2012 has passed you by and anyone who sat with me on the SCG will tell you i was no shrinking violet when it came to expressing my point of view.