Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Tippy Tappy football

I think it is a bit of both. Norwich did pass the ball a lot and at times it was all to sideways and backwards (again not inherintly wrong but needs to be done with purpose). Norwich though also had the 3rd highest amount of successful dribbles, so it wasn’t all just going nowhere slowly, there were plenty of moments of skill and pace.

Nelson and Murphy’s habit of blasting it from long range made Norwich even easier to defend against though. Move your defence to the edge of the 18 yard box and wait for someone to smash the ball out of play. Nelson needed to be on the shoulder of the defence more, Murphy made a pretty open dig in the season about there not being anyone in the box to cross to - which meant he would shoot instead.

Next season needs to build on the foundations of last, a team with growing coherency that are pretty good at keeping the ball, mixed with new players like Buendia who look to make things happen. Pukki seems to be a striker who doesn’t take long rangers and is more of a poacher. Get him (or whoever comes in later if/when NO is sold) some service in the box and hopefully goals start to come.

Webber and Balls talked about building a philosophy based on the ‘Norwich way’ - defined as attacking, passing football. Last season certainly did the passing bit, hopefully they can add effective to the attacking bit.

I''m in a minority in that I enjoyed the football last year, most of the time (but yes would also have liked more end product). I liked the way we built from the back and at times it was quite exciting when we beat the high press of some opposition.However, I also agree with what I believe BYG is suggesting - i.e. that at times we were a case of round pegs and square holes. Another transfer window, should give us the sort of opportunity to but the sort of "movements" (adolescent snigger[:)]) that Farke is looking for. I think the strategic idea of developing a playing style/ philosophy and then finding players to fit it is the best way forwards.

Icecream Snow

GPs Beard Spain got knocked out because their players didn''t apply the system as they have in the past. The team that won the World Cup and the Euros, would have beaten Russia yesterday - the high press, off the ball movement is all massively affected by fatigue, and losing an exponent like Iniesta to age played a huge part.

Looking back at their 2014 squad, they had Fernando Torres, David Villa and Diego Costa was third choice. In 2018, Diego Costa was last man standing. In 2014, they had David Silva, Juan Mata and Santi Carzola (though I think Mata had to pull out) in their squad. Add to that the natural aging of the likes of Iniesta, and losses of Xavi Alonso amongst others, with very little coming through to take their place.

I don''t think it''s the system, just that Spain had an abundance of top quality talent, and they''ve got from having incredible strength in depth, to aging players past their prime, and a lack of quality youngsters to replace them.

Really interesting points Icecream. Agree entirely about the quality of the players . No doubt the age of the Spanish team had a lot to do with them going out, rather than the style of play.

Last season Farke went through some interesting processes. For example he wants to keep the full backs wide. In so doing he stretches his centre backs. So for a while he goes to a back three, leaving the "full backs" to play in a five out of possession , but as a wide attacking player (Pinto , Jamal) in possession. But when he played a four , he was lost.

Farke has a desired shape and last year had players not suited for the shape, or a squad that could be flexible enough. I think he will try and stick to a three particularly at home and has signed Marshall with this in mind . Away from home you can bank up the five, play three/four in the middle , allow the wing backs to expand BUT this needs a level of fitness which he is working on with twice daily training regime. Because you need to press and deny space, as well as expanding and creating space over 90 minutes.

If this doesn''t work, or we get out thought by the opposition manager (which happened at home a lot) we have just got rid of two of our get out of jail cards , in Murphy and Maddison.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]
Parking the KV-2 is fine for the odd game (we did it at quite a few away games last year) but we all know from experience how tiring it gets week after week.
I think the best team at the World Cup so far have been Uruguay. Very organised defensively, aggressively going after the ball high up the pitch (early on at least), nothing too flash but still have the cutting edge up top. Granted it probably helps that they are spearheaded by Cavani and Suarez.
[/quote]

Strikers hunting in pairs. Not a lone wolf in sight.

[quote user="king canary"]Chicken and egg bethnal. My opinion was those shots came about because we weren''t creating any clear cut chances, not that we lacked patience.

The issue for me was we often lacked the ability to change the tempo of our play to actually move defenders about. Instead when we did get someone dragged out of position we''d play another 3 passes and let them get back.[/quote]

Football has always been, and still is, a relatively simple game. You win matches by scoring more goals than the opposition, not by having more possession than them!

Tippy Tappy Football has changed even Man city have changed since PEP took over to slow first season then attacked with pace second and got rewards

that was Norwich all over last season to slow tippy tappy in front of a team sitting back that''s not how to be successful with tippy tappy football we have to play keep ball then zip the ball around and then explode with pace i dont think we have the pace in the team for that style of football