Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Strong looking squad

I did say midtable earlier in the thread but those saying it''s far too early to judge are of course correct.

I was very excited about our squad the season we got relegated to league one and was concerned about it the season we finished 12th in the Premier League with Lambert.

None of us know shit at this point.

I’ve had Ipswich down as stone wall relegation candidates for the last two seasons and will do again this season. The fuckers still haven’t been!

The point about being a strong looking squad was nothing to do with league position, just that as the squad is building it is hard to see what a starting eleven would be and that virtually any of the players could be in it.  To me that means it is a competitive squad within itself - every player with a real shout of being in a starting eleven.  That is a strong squad and whether it means challenging for the top or for the play offs remains to be seen.

We have a large number of options in midfield and so that seem exciting prospects.

At the back we have the same players that conceded 60 goals last season, which needs improving by 10 goals to make us competitive. Marshall may help if we go to something like a 3-2-4-1 formation with wingbacks. If we plan to go 442 the defence remains vulnerbale as the two heavy defeats at the end of the season showed esp against aerially strong sides, incl with Hanley in the side. Personally I would prefer a 4141 formation but we dont have the back line to cope.

We remain weakest in the striking position - Teemu may prove the signing we need but on the basis Nelson will move on reinvest all of his fee feels like a priortity.

We still have plenty of window open to resolve this.

Update number 2, 4231, given Hernandez the nod over Marshall this time, but the strength is going right through the squad and any one of them could be in any starting eleven -
                    Matthews
     Passlack Hanley Klose Lewis
               Tettey Trybull   
     Hernandez  McLean  Leitner
                      Pukki

For a squad that struggled massively to score last season our current forward options or weaker than they were last season.  It would be prudent to reserve judgement until the squad is complete and probably until we are 10 - 15 games into the season.  After all, this will be the first time some of these players have played in England.

[quote user="king canary"]Leitner is the new Dorrans I see.[/quote]
Ok, put Vrancic on left side of midfield, so where would you put Leitner - in place of McLean? And someone has to play on the left and it doesn''t necessitate a winger, just someone who can play on the left side. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="king canary"]Leitner is the new Dorrans I see.[/quote]
Ok, put Vrancic on left side of midfield, so where would you put Leitner - in place of McLean? And someone has to play on the left and it doesn''t necessitate a winger, just someone who can play on the left side. 
[/quote]
Jarvis ? [;)]

We will never see Leitner play as the left of a 3 behind the striker. It just will not happen (unless for small periods of a game due to tactical changes before a sub, even then, highly unlikely.)

I cannot see us ever playing all 4 of tettey, trybull, mclean and Leitner with a back 4.

Mathews

Hanley Zim Klose

Passlack Tettey Lewis

Trybull Leitner

Mclean

Pukki

This being the only formation i can see it working, with the width provided by the wingbacks. Could slot in Marshall against weaker teams for extra attacking intent.

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]We will never see Leitner play as the left of a 3 behind the striker. It just will not happen (unless for small periods of a game due to tactical changes before a sub, even then, highly unlikely.)

I cannot see us ever playing all 4 of tettey, trybull, mclean and Leitner with a back 4.

Mathews

Hanley Zim Klose

Passlack Tettey Lewis

Trybull Leitner

Mclean

Pukki

This being the only formation i can see it working, with the width provided by the wingbacks. Could slot in Marshall against weaker teams for extra attacking intent.[/quote]
I agree with that, but formations are fluid and I hate to be picky, but you have put Leitner on the left side of the midfield too.

No, ive put him in a central 2, with the width supplied by the wing backs. You have him as the width provider of a 3. Very, very different.

I can see Leitner playing as one of the two who support a striker in a 3-4-3 type formation where the width is provided by the wingbacks.

I''d add that all of our signings of late point towards playing a back 3 type formation as default- Passlack and Marshall are both capable wingbacks but not traditional fullbacks, Hernandez and Buendia are both players who like to cut inside from wide positions and we haven''t tried to get a direct ''number 10'' replacement for Maddison.

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]No, ive put him in a central 2, with the width supplied by the wing backs. You have him as the width provider of a 3. Very, very different.[/quote]
You have to lay the team out in some kind of picture and like I said, formations are fluid. I agree width would come from wing backs, but with Hernandez in the team too, which there is some justification for, the two central midfielders get pushed out to the other side on paper.  Just because Leitner appears on the left on paper does not mean that is where he will be for the whole match.  Or does Hernandez need a line all to himself?  Ok, I''ll simplify it - 
                    Matthews
Passlack Hanley Zimmermann Lewis
                  Tettey Trybull
                 McLean Leitner
Hernandez
                      Pukki

That looks a bit daft set out like that to me, but if you only have one wide player the other midfielders have to adapt to that.   Unless we never use just one winger - for which there is an argument of course, so what about this in a 4231?
                  Matthews
Passlack Hanley Zimmermann Lewis
                Tettey Trybull
          McLean Leitner Vrancic
                     Pukki
I like your  team too, but would set it out -
                      Mathews

Hanley Zim Klose

Passlack Tettey   Trybull  Lewis

Mclean    Leitner

Pukki
Leitner is on the left of the central pair..........

I feel if Norwich want to play 3 at the back regularly then they’ll need to sign another centreback. Farke didn’t seem to like Raggett too much (not putting him on bench at times despite there being no defenders).

Even if he did like Raggett, 4 centre backs would still be pretty slim for a team who play 3 at the back - there aren’t even any fullbacks who can cover there.

Can see 3-4-3 being used - if you compare to Chelsea who use Fabregas and Kante in the centre Norwich could play Tettey/Godfrey and Leitner/McLean.

I feel Buendia will play more than he doesn’t, a front three of Hernandez, Buendia and Pukki would be very mobile, but may struggle to hold the ball up. Think Norwich still lack a focal point.

I agree BYG.

We have no plan B for when either plan A isn’t working or we need to change things a little.

I think it was Sheff Weds that came to Carrow Road and brought on Lucas Jao (or something like that) and they just hit it long because the guy is really tall, caused us all sorts of problems.

Not saying we need to go and find some lanky centre forward just because he is lanky, what I’m saying is we need someone different who can do the ugly stuff an none of our forwards seem to be that way. Unless of course Dennis is that man?!

@bethnal

Maybe Godfrey will be used as a central defender this season?

I''d be very concerned about a back 4 with Lewis and Passlack based on what I''ve heard about him.

LDC, i was trying to make a point without bothering to fully explain it. With a back 4, the added defensive responsibility for the full backs means we have less width. So you need natural wide players in a 3 behind the striker, otherwise you end up with a congested midfield and become predictable. Leitner would not work as the wide left in that formation.

Your 3-4-3 and my 3-3-2-1-1, as you put it, are fluid and would work either way. But the key is the 3 at the back free up the wing backs to provide width, allowing the technical guys in the center to do their thing.

Just because we have a wealth of good central players, does not mean we have to shoehorn all of them into every starting lineup.

So many unknowns at this point. Sadly every year, we seem to pick up a couple of long-ish term injuries (Pritchard and Lewis last season). Don''t want to be pessimistic, but it happens. The good thing is, we do seem to have 2 players in each position on the pitch to be able to swap and rotate.

Plus there''s the different formations as well - personally I thought we looked so much more solid when we played 5 at the back and Trybull and Tettey holding in midfield. But towards the end of the season, Farke went back to a flat back 4 when T&T were injured.

Is Louis Thompson fit again? He seems to have been forgotten with all the comings and goings.

People seemed to like him before his injury and he seemed to be touted as our new defensive midfield player.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Is Louis Thompson fit again? He seems to have been forgotten with all the comings and goings.

People seemed to like him before his injury and he seemed to be touted as our new defensive midfield player.[/quote]
I think the sense is that he may need longer than pre-season to regain full fitness and confidence in his healed injury. He may feature for us, of course, but the suspicion is that he may well go out on loan, at least for the first half of the season.

[quote user="BSEYELLOW"]LDC, i was trying to make a point without bothering to fully explain it. With a back 4, the added defensive responsibility for the full backs means we have less width. So you need natural wide players in a 3 behind the striker, otherwise you end up with a congested midfield and become predictable. Leitner would not work as the wide left in that formation.

Your 3-4-3 and my 3-3-2-1-1, as you put it, are fluid and would work either way. But the key is the 3 at the back free up the wing backs to provide width, allowing the technical guys in the center to do their thing.[/quote]
Yes, I understand that, makes sense and with recent acquisitions, the options for any formation are looking good, whether just relying on wing backs or having two wingers. Just confirms my thoughts that this is developing onto a very good looking squad.

I can see that we will be moving regularly between formations, 442, 4141. 4231 etc depending on home or away and the quality of the opponent. We now have a squad able to support tactical variations in game as well as between games.

However I do like the idea of 3-1-4-2, flexing the wider pairing depending on opponent to include Passlack, pinto, lewis). It appeals the expansive side of me but is wholly dependent on the 4 being high energy and working back and breaking forward fast.. But it would need the addition of a further CB and striker to provide sufficient cover.

One thing I would not be a fan of is mucking Godfrey about again by experimenting with him at CB.

3 Hanley Zimmermann Klose (Raggett, ANOther)

1. Tettey (Godfrey, Trybull, Thompson (loan))

4. Marshall, Trybull, Leitner, Hernandez (Vrancic, McLean, Pinto, Lewis, Passlack)

2. Pukki Buendia (Srbeny, Oliveira ANOther,)

No chance of Farke playing 4-4-2. Two upfront is completely against his principles and beliefs, especially there were times last season where it barely looked like we were playing a striker at all with 4-1-2-3-0/5-2-3-0 variants.

We could be in the situation where come September we have a flexible squad with an inflexible manager. We''ll have to wait and see how that pans out, but Farke has to improve his game.