Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Strong looking squad

I can’t see Pukki not being a step up from Nelson.

Srbeny is a step up from Nelson.

The team played better when Nelson was on the bench. Thus his replacement is the better player in the only way that actually counts.

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"] Do many on here wish the club could move with the times and maybe win something one day ?[/quote]
You mean like shake up the club, get a progressive system of management in a Sporting Director and head coach, get rid of underperformers, make the most of saleable assets that would be moving on anyway and bring in talent from abroad and proven quality from this country.  As for players I defy anyone to say that Trybull is not an excellent player.  I defy anyone to say that Leitner is not an excellent player. That Hanley isn''t an excellent player.  That Lewis, Matthews, Godfrey and Thompson are not exellent prospects. That Vrancic has proven he can adapt to the championship, that the defensive options look good, that the midfield looks class, that the strikers bought in are at least proven goalscorers.  That Farke and his methods are seen by players as a good to work under - unless you disbelieve Maddison and Reed - and the facilities at youth level are being upgraded to required standards.
We may not be there yet, but you cannot say the club is not moving with the times.
Oh, you mean we don''t have a lot of money?  Ah, money, the root of all evil - perhaps, just perhaps, there is a better way of running a modern football club than relying on PL money, rich benefactors or speculators. We will see next season.....

I think its all starting to take shape

and if we have a good season and go up that is winning something

“I can’t see Pukki not being a step up from Nelson.

Srbeny is a step up from Nelson.

The team played better when Nelson was on the bench. Thus his replacement is the better player in the only way that actually counts.”

There’s a reason why at this time last year the majority of fans were desperate to see him stay. Swansea reportedly bid £12million for him and there’s a reason why we turned it down.

If Farke could get Oliveria back into the same mindset and/or form he had under Alan Irvine, we would struggle to find a better striker in our current situation.

To say Dennis Srbeny is a step up is laughable.

Strengthened? when we have sold players worth millions and replaced with much cheaper unknown and unproven players. Strengthened?

From Ruddy/Gunn to Remi

From Murphy/Redmond to Buendia

From Camjam to Srbeny

From Olsen to Husband

From madders to Leitner

I could go on - but we have sold millions and millions of pounds worth of top champ/prem standard players and replaced with lower league and unknown cheapies. Ask any neutral if we are strengthening our side or decimating it. Cutting cloth perhaps. Necessary maybe- though other neutral mates have asked if we are asset stripping. But strengthening - not ever

To say Oliviera had a bad season is an understatement. To say Sberny is a step up from him is plainly ridiculous...

Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 01/07/2018 6:28 AM:

Strengthened? when we have sold players worth millions and replaced with much cheaper unknown and unproven players. Strengthened?

From Ruddy/Gunn to Remi

From Camjam to Srbeny

From Olsen to Husband

From madders to Leitner

I could go on - but we have sold millions and millions of pounds worth of top champ/prem standard players and replaced with lower league and unknown cheapies. Ask any neutral if we are strengthening our side or decimating it. Cutting cloth perhaps. Necessary maybe- though other neutral mates have asked if we are asset stripping. But strengthening - not ever

100 % this

I personally think people get too wrapped up in the strength of individual players on paper.....in recent history clubs like Cardiff, Huddersfield, Leicester, Athletico, Greece, Wigan and us under Lambert have achieved things that nobody gave them any chance of achieving through the team being greater than the sum of its parts. It''s about getting the right blend of personnel playing in a way which maximises its strengths and gaining momentum through the season or tournament. It''s about the team rather than individuals.

We may well have another mid table season or worse but until we can see how the new signings and even the January ones affect the team once the season begins nobody knows anything. Pretty much anything is possible.

[quote user="JF"]Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 01/07/2018 6:28 AM:

From Ruddy/Gunn to Remi

From Camjam to Srbeny

From Olsen to Husband

From madders to Leitner

100 % this[/quote]
We haven''t replaced Olsson with Husband, we''ve replaced him with a real talent in Lewis.
We haven''t replaced Maddison - no-one could do that, but we have very good options in McLean Leitner etc
As for Murphy, nowhere near effective enough last season and we did pretty well to get ÂŁ10m+ and we have replaced him with a talented young player in Buendia, as Redmond was when we got him .
Also -
We''ve replaced Watkins with Marshall a good upgrade
We have a proven goalscorer in Pukki who was being followed by other championship clubs
We have Matthews - a proven goalkeeper who is by all accounts ready to step up
We have brought in Trybull who is excellent
We have brought in Hanley who is excellent
We have several other players who have shown the ability to adapt to the championship and who
well may be excellent next season - Vrancic, Zimmermann etc
I could go on [;)]
That to me looks like getting the kind of players you want in to suit the system you want to play, cutting your cloth AND strengthening, but I guess it depends on the way you want to see things.

Olsson had the same sort of record as whits

the only difference was one was blindly loved because he was Swedish and the other was moaned about a slaged of even when he did well

[quote user="JF"]Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 01/07/2018 6:28 AM:

From Ruddy/Gunn to Remi

From Camjam to Srbeny

From Olsen to Husband

From madders to Leitner

100 % this[/quote]

And there I was thinking we are yet to name our gk for next year, Jamal Lewis was our left back, our centre halves that conceded left right and centre halves have been upgraded with the likes of Hanley, we have just signed a Finnish centre forward and McClean is in exactly the same situation as Maddison ie Plenty raving about him. But let’s not distort the facts by making out last years players were the replacements.

Promotion is won by a team that is balanced and prepared to fight for the cause as shown by Lambert. Looks like that is what we are building a team rather than a group of individuals.

Bang on, as I posted yesterday the likes of Preston and Milwall got close because they were a team.

I’m happy we got a shed load of money for Murphy and Watkins and we got Marshall in who can actually deliver a dangerous cross.

My only disappointment so far was losing Madders but that was always going to happen, Leitner has a touch of class, he’s no Madders but he is a Leitner so let’s see what he can do.

The wildly optimistic few who are not panicking already need to start now. Only six weeks to the end of the transfer window for purchases and only three weeks after that for loan deals from Premier League clubs anxious to offload surplus talent.An amateur assessment, based on a few assumptions, is that as things stand:1) We have no abviously Championship-class goalkeeper (the most important position in the team), let alone two.2) We have adequate cover (ie two sufficiently good players) at right-back/wing-back and left-back/wing-back3) We lack an obviously good-enough fourth centre-back (Raggett???), if we want to play three of them.4) We already have a midfield roster that provides starters and cover for pretty much any tactical formation Farke might want to use.5) We have adequate cover on the wing for a non-wingback system.6) We have only one Championship-class striker (on the assumption Pukki is that).

@Purple

Attitude aside it is tough to say Nelson isn''t Championship class- he clearly is.

My concern is the midfield looks overloaded with passers and playmakers without a great deal of cutting edge- lots is going to depend on the ability of McLean, Buendia and Hernandez.

I''m happy with pretty much every signing considering budgets but I don''t see players like Marshall and Pukki as more than mid-table Championship type players.

If we sold Lewis tomorrow I''m sure all the Norwich fans would be upset, no matter what they said. But the truth is that it is not wise to hold onto a player against his wishes or be sent to do so..

But cheer up MY, because its not going to happen.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
                    Matthews
     Hanley Zimmermann Klose
Marshall     Tettey Trybull    Lewis
             McLean  Leitner
                      Srbeny
[/quote]
Strong looking squad?
That team looks like stone wall relegation candidates to me

OK how about this one ?

Ruddy

Martin Ward Nelson Drury

Crofts Fox Surman

Jackson Martin Hoolahan

Is that a strong looking squad?

Surfer wrote the following post at 01/07/2018 7:42 PM:

OK how about this one ?

Ruddy

Martin Ward Nelson Drury

Crofts Fox Surman

Jackson Martin Hoolahan

Take out Jackson and Bring in Holt and that team looks capable of getting promoted

If LDC is claiming auto promotion strong then yes. But that team is nothing like a ''nailed on relegation'' team. To say that is to ignore every conceivable fact.

A squad full of international players and prospects but not good enough for some whose only positive suggestion is to bring back the team that got us promoted under Lambert.

He didn’t say it was a nailed on relegation, he said relegation candidates. Different things

Posters can say what they like but I think those who say we are looking stronger or ready for a challenge are just giving an opinion.

We haven''t a clue whether Buendia or Pukki have what it takes and even whether they can settle in Norwich.

We hope they hit the ground running and have an exciting future with us but we know we have to wait and see.

To be honest, those with fears have a greater reason to feel that way than the optimistic ones because the squad has lost talented players.

''Stone wall relegation candidates

I mean that doesn''t need much interpreting does it JF? Or are you struggling with this one too?

Bless. Keep trying and you will soon be ready to take over Morty’s mantle that you so desperately seek. Relegation candidates don’t always get relegated. Nowhere in that post does the poster say we will get relegated. There will be at least 6 relegation candidates every season in the championship