Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Strong looking squad

I''ve been trying to think what would a first team look like and tbh, I can''t come up with one that gets in everybody that I want in it. Here is one version, but it seems to me that nearly every player you can think of in our squad

could be in there.  Vrancic is one I really like, yet who do you leave

out?   Leitner? McLean? Trybull?  How do you leave Hernandez out?  Godfrey? Buendia? 
                    Matthews
     Hanley Zimmermann Klose
Marshall     Tettey Trybull    Lewis
             McLean  Leitner
                      Srbeny
The only place up for grabs is the striker - Srbeny yet to establish himself and with Oliveira - who knows....
Probably more to come in yet, striker, maybe a goalie too - so more competition for places likely.
So is it just me being optimistic, or is the squad shaping up to look very strong?

Just because everyone you would want to get in wouldn’t fit doesn’t make it a strong squad.

Pretty happy with our CM, assuming Marshall signs and Pinto stays the right side looks ok.

While our first choice back three were decent last year I’m not convinced the squad depth is there for a season.

Completely untested at this level number 1, and not convinced we have quality backup.

Left hand side feels pretty weak, Husband hasn’t looked up to scratch.

Massive issues up front, we need at least one preferably two Strikers to be competitive as we have question marks over both our current top 2.

Squad has potential but it’s a long way off strong, lots of still untested or unconvincing so far names at this level as well.

Depends what you think we are aiming for. I think we have enough to stay up already and probably enough to finish midtable. I don''t think the current crop would challenge for the playoffs though, we are a couple of forwards and a proven goalkeeper away from that at least.

Presuming no big outgoings the defence looks solid . Back four or three both plausible.

More than happy with midfield. We already know what Trybull, Tettey and Vrancic offer us and we''ve filled it with a good mix of attacking and defensive options. The attacking options are a bit more unknown at this level which is where the risk is, but with our budget we will always be having to take some sort of risk.

Up front is far too weak. Srbeny will be a solid enough option in my opinion but he''s not a big goalscorer and he''s not going to change games from the bench. Oliviera...who knows. We need a quick striker that likes to play off the shoulder of the last defender, just as an option. Probably need one more after that.

I dont know Lakey, for me its still a bit to early to be trying to make a first team 11. We dont have as yet all the new guys joining, but in that, would not surprise me if its just the striker department thats left for maybe 1 more new recruit. Looks like City will going with Pinto at RB and Marshall as cover, with perhaps Aarons as back up . At GK, we may well go with Mathhews and McGovern and Oxborough as no. 3.
We will likely all struggle right now, as you are, in trying to name a first 11,but with pre season training underway and the pre season friendlies not to far away, im sure DF will be looking at all his players, giving as many a run out as he can, and in those friendlies, forming a basis for the season ahead.
Agree with you on one point, even with Wes , Josh, Madders, Watkins, Reed and Angus all departed, with McLean, Buendia, Leitner and Marshall as new permanents, plus, we hope, another striker, it will be a different yet fresh looking, yet still quite strong squad that City have there.

I cannot see where the goals are coming from now Maddison and Murphy have gone - especially when you factor in Farke''s dreary system - so not strong as things currently stand as we won''t score enough goals, but we''ll have plenty of possession to keep the clappers happy, so to speak.

However, if we play a system that gets forwards involved and actually purchased some - then things should look brighter.

that team LDC looks like a team of workers but lacking flair and goals

Buendia is a unknown i hope he is very direct but his history is not full of goals maybe different here

who ever the front 3 are have to score for us with Mclean chipping in a few

yet to be convinced this team would get more than mid table

DF prefers back 4, need some width further strengthening needed unfortunately cannot afford quality that will be needed. Striker issue seriously considered Dennis and Nelson not prolific enough to be given the title lets see a 20/30 goal striker from Div 1/2 who actually knows where the goal is. Look to Div 2 for potential unless there is a gem from Germany better than Dennis.

Ideally we''d want another goalkeeper, right back, winger and two strikers. But aside from the striking department (which looks threadbare) we could go with what we''ve got in the other areas.
Though I''d be expecting more signings to bolster the home-grown quota requirement.

I think the squad is fairly strong. The problem is the starting eleven.

There are plenty of our players who could fit into a “top 6” squad and would be good back up/rotation players. We’ve got a good few youth prospects who can probably already do a job and might come really good.

But have we got many players who walk into a “top 6” starting eleven? I’m not so sure.

That team might be OK but I query about strong squad.

I don''t think some of our back up players are too impressive.

If we get Maddisons goals and assist spread on two or three others (Buendia, McLean and Leitner), we will be fine in that departement. Hopefully we''ll get at least one morse striker in (two if Oliviera leaves). If Marshall can fill in at right back, I would be happy with this squad.

Would be great to sign that Marriot from Peterborough, but doubt we''ll spend 5-6 mill on one player.

Update -
                 Matthews
     Hanley Zimmermann Klose
Marshall     Tettey Trybull    Lewis
             McLean  Leitner
                      Pukki
[;)]

Marshall is indeed a RWB of nature, so would be a good compliment to our right side. Does it spell the end of Pinto''s rein as Captain though?

Looks better already with a new striker at the top!

A squad considerably better than the likes of Preston and Milwall and they were close to getting themselves in the playoffs.

Getting the best out of them will be the challenge and if we can do that any maybe add another keeper and one more up top I think we’ll challenge.

Offload Martin, Naismith and Husband and get another left back and that improves again.

And we haven’t dipped our toes in to the loan market yet.

Good or bad I can see the logic in the signings we are making. Let’s hope they work out.

I’m also happy with the 23 signings. I can see Richards quickly pushing for the first team.

As per usual LDC is either deliberately being controversial to get a reaction or just plain delusional. This is simply no where near a strong looking championship squad.

i think the biggest question is Can Farke get the best out of them this season

We have seen weaker squads play better than strong squads and a lot of that is down to tactics and manager / head coach so massive season for Farke

‭A forward line of Srbeny, McLean and Leitner - God help us.

Farke should help pack Big D’s bags. Without Daniels German spectacles Srbeny would struggle to hold down a starting spot in our u23’s, let alone our first team.

With a couple of signings our squad does have potential, relatively average on paper but with the right manager/tactics/additions we could make a push for the playoffs.

My team at present:

Matthews

Marshall Hanley Klose Lewis

Godfrey Trybull

Hernandez Leitner Buendia

Oliveira

Unsure of what Buendia will bring to the party but short on other viable options.

Won’t write Pukki off before he plays - but can’t see him being a step up on an in-form Nelson.

Looks like one of the weakest squads we have had for some considerable time. Mid-table at best. The coach will do well to survive until Christmas !!

Its difficult to say what we have it could be strong who knows. After a 14th place finish we have sold two of the stars of the championship. We have spent a tenth of that money on a very competent championship winger who has probably proven that at 27 or so he is regarded as being that level. The finish lad is a bit of a gamble though no fee paid,he has only been prolific in the Danish league so that is probably on a par with Scotland so who knows

Of course there are unknowns in the squad but a back four of pinto, hanley, Klose and Lewis is certainly capable of top 6 and I imagine most in this league would take at least 2 of those into their squads without hesitation.

The squad is getting stronger with each new acquisition. Another striker, right back, and a decision on first choice keeper and we are ready for the pre season. I am sure many other Championship sides would like to be in that position. I am confident we will be in the top six come the end of the season.

Jesus Christ ! The luddites would have got some recruits from this forum . football had changed but Norwich fans love nostalgia and the ‘proper ‘ way to run a football club . Do many on here wish the club could move with the times and maybe win something one day ?

The word conservative is so apt for for a majority on this board .