Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

VAR doesn’t work

I''d like to know where VAR was for the second pen we should have had last night - it''d have put us 2-up though everyone seems to have forgotten it - Lingard was clearly caught twice by the player, 100% a penalty all day long.

Ref was awful throughout, but disagree about the "Penalty" incident Branston. He went down like he''d been shot but the slightest brush from the defenders boot shouldn''t have made him fall like that. In any case, should have stayed on his feet and scored!

The ref lost control for me, stemming back to the ''headbutt'' on Hendo incident. Ref obviously not confident enough to give a red when he clearly didn''t see it. VAR needs to be more like Rugby in this instance and make a decision for the Ref for things he cannot see.

The time it took to let Kane take the penalty was also crazy. None of the Colombians got booked but Hendo did. Crazy ref''ing, at one point he was literally just letting them stand there and argue with each other!

Very disappointed in Hendos action to get booked.We were playing a side that are nothing short of cheats.Intimidation,retaliation and conning referees. The shame of it is that they are good footballers and could be successful without resorting to such shocking tactics.The players should have realised that any unnecessary contact would have resulted in a free kick and should have played with a little more intelligence. It does appear that the ''face clutching'' act is the new goto sign for foul claims and injuries. Neymar is certainly in the running for actor of the year,with Falco a close runner up.

It does surprise me that the powers that be are not in a position to try to eradicate this shocking behaviour from the game.

I still reckon Lingard''s was a pen - he had his heel caught and v difficult to stay on his feet, but it doesn''t matter now.

The sad thing about the game was Colombia''s attitude - it was as though they just wanted confrontation and to try to wind our players up (maybe remembering Beckham/Rooney in tournaments of old). Thankfully it didn''t work and actually seemed to backfire. The point is that when they started to play they looked like the good side they are.

Hopefully against Sweden in the QF..... we''ll see two teams playing competitive free-flowing football.....

I wholly concur, Colombia have skilful football players and shouldn''t have had to resort to some of the evident infantile and frustrating antics during the game last night....But, although we weren''t entirely ''fair play'' candidates and totally blameless.....Justice though, was eventually, served......

The referee, his assistants and use of VAR must stamp their authority on games like this at the onset. Players must realise that every spoiling tactic, nose pick, nip, sly kick and mobbing the ref and continually displaying unwarranted unsportsmanlike behaviour, is visible from various angles and so apparent for millions to see.....Oh, and that half-time Raheem Sterling ''nudging'' Colombian coaching ''staff member'' is a complete co(knocker, and I so hope he blubs all the way back to South America......the snidey sniggering sour smegma smelling scoffer.....

Referees are their own worst enemies at times. They have the power to book people for dissent and I''m sure a swift yellow and a warning that any player not out of the penalty box in the next 20 seconds would get booked too would have done the job.

I get similarly frustrated with time wasting- refs always wait and wait to book players for it when they could set their stall out early.

I think refs worry too much about being given grief for ruining games with red cards for dissent and time wasting.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Hopefully against Sweden in the QF..... we''ll see two teams playing competitive free-flowing football.....  [/quote]
Not much danger of that I fear. Sweden will be well and truly parking the bus and asking England to break them down I would think. Game needs an early goal imo as otherwise it will be an utter borefest with Sweden using every spoiling tactic going. If England go ahead then it''s hard to see how Sweden could come back into the game, they have very little firepower.

We should be able to defend a little higher up the pitch against Sweden as their attack lacks any real pace.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''d like to know where VAR was for the second pen we should have had last night - it''d have put us 2-up though everyone seems to have forgotten it - Lingard was clearly caught twice by the player, 100% a penalty all day long.[/quote]
It looked as though he could have stayed on his feet to me and though there was a touch, he made it look a lot worse by the way he went down.  A little more trying to stay on your feet wouldn''t go amiss.  Players are programmed to go down if they feel the slightest touch - it is the first response they have - and that is annoying to watch.

[quote user="lake district canary"]A little more trying to stay on your feet wouldn''t go amiss. 
Players are programmed to go down if they feel the slightest touch - it is the first response they have - and that is annoying to watch.[/quote]I don''t blame the players when the system goes against them if they do otherwise.
I''ve seen numerous situations over the years where the player has been fouled, has desperately tried to keep going or maintain their balance and their reward has been NO PENALTY, whereas if they go over at the time of the foul, more often than not it''s given.
Can you really blame players when ref''s are frequently not strong enough to give pens for fouls where the player HAS managed to stay on his feet despite a clear foul, it''s like they get punished twice - once with the foul, and once more for being ''honest''.
Unless the whole approach changes from refs to players, then it will continue to make more sense to go down relatively easily and get a pen rather than try to stay up and often get nothing...

It needs a manager of the like of Brian Clough to insist in total honesty from his players and zero tolerance to arguing with refs, faking injuries, falling down like delicate flowers etc etc.    Clough achieved that and it was a major reason why his teams were successful - his teams had total focus with no distractions.  No wasting energy arguing with officials, no faking and then crying because you didn''t get the decision, no cheating of any kind - just total concentration on the football.  If someone could show the worth of that again, then maybe it would have some effect.

Presumably without Clough''s homophobic bullying of players though...

He wasn''t homophobic.

He didn''t particularly like anyone apart from himself.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Presumably without Clough''s homophobic bullying of players though...

He wasn''t homophobic.

He didn''t particularly like anyone apart from himself.[/quote]
I think you''ll find it is well documented and Clough himself admitted to it actually (and to be fair to him expressed regret for it). I''m thinking specifically of our own Justin Fashanu, who Clough labelled a "poofter" and froze out the team, banned from the training ground etc. I know it was different times etc, but Clough destroyed Fashanu.
"But at Forest, Justin''s career nose dived.

He couldn''t cope with what his friend Peter Tatchell calls ''Brian Clough''s homophobic verbal attacks'' once he found out he was regularly visiting a gay night club.

His form suffered. Clough banned him from the training ground and then sold him for £100,000 to local rivals Notts County.

Regrets and revelations

Later Clough would express regret about how he treated Justin Fashanu - effectively it had destroyed him as a player.

Brian Clough believed that he shouldn''t have confronted him about his sexuality in public."

Excerpt taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/content/articles/2008/04/21/east_midlands_gay_footballers_s13_w9_feature.shtml