Sign in to follow this  
writeronthestorm

Paradise and Beyond

I''ve quite enjoyed listening to him and Terry Butcher on the 5 live World Cup podcast. The BBC''s coverage of the World Cup has been far superior to ITV''s.

I quite like reading sporting autobiographies but, while he''s a mildly entertaining pundit with a forthright opinion, I don''t get the feeling he has much of a hinterland.

For the same reason I couldn''t finish Freddie Flintoff''s but have re-read Michael Atherton''s, which is brilliant. As are Alan Clark''s diaries, if you''re interested in and 80s and 90s politics.

I''ve read it.

Was Okish. Interesting bit during the Chase era and his sale to Blackburn. All these biographies tend to be much the same IMO and certainly Sutton is much more opinionated now than when the book was written.

Personally I like him as a pundit. We moan because people like Sheerer and Lawrenson are so dull and then give people like Sutton and Savage rocks for having a viewpoint that doesn''t conform.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]I''ve read it.

Was Okish. Interesting bit during the Chase era and his sale to Blackburn. All these biographies tend to be much the same IMO and certainly Sutton is much more opinionated now than when the book was written.

Personally I like him as a pundit. We moan because people like Sheerer and Lawrenson are so dull and then give people like Sutton and Savage rocks for having a viewpoint that doesn''t conform.[/quote]
I don''t think the problem with Shearer & Lawrenson is that they are dull, it''s because they are lazy, neither of them knows the laws of the game and thier responses are cliched.
Sutton & Savage always give me the impression that thier opinions are based on pro-longing thier media careers more than what they believe, they think that good radio/television is about the argument.

The brilliant thing about it all is that we are quite ready to throw a whole bunch of insults at commentators or pundits we don''t particularly agree with, understand or like and yet we are all quite happy on here to tell DF and his staff how he is getting it wrong and who Webber should be buying.

Every supporter is priceless

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Seems that Glen Hoddle still has a grudge against him for refusing to play for England ''B''
[/quote]
Fair enough. I''d have thought it would be an honour to play for your country anytime.
Sounds like Sutton''s ego got in the way....

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]I''ve read it.

Personally I like him as a pundit. We moan because people like Sheerer and Lawrenson are so dull and then give people like Sutton and Savage rocks for having a viewpoint that doesn''t conform.[/quote]

Thanks, I did wonder if his book would be as forthright as his current media persona

Sutton is ridiculously boring and an angry man as far as I can work out. So, imagine my delight when the Google Books page has this to say about the author;

About the author (2011)

Chris

Sutton is developer and trainer in eastern Iowa. He has been developing

for the web since 1997 and genuinely enjoys building and designing

applications that connect people. He is active in the .NET community by

coordinating IowaCodeCamp.com and leading CRineta.org. He also

frequently speaks at code camps and user groups in the Midwest.

Yeah they''re miles off with that [:D]

[quote user="BobLoz3"]Sutton is ridiculously boring and an angry man as far as I can work out. So, imagine my delight when the Google Books page has this to say about the author;

About the author (2011)

Chris

[/quote]
He could be leading a double life.
Angry pundit during the day.
Meek and mild web developer by night.
There''s a cartoon series in there (albeit a rather dull one).

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Fair enough. I''d have thought it would be an honour to play for your country anytime.
Sounds like Sutton''s ego got in the way....[/quote]Maybe it did, but when you''re on excellent form, are the leading English goalscorer in the Premier League, and then get told that you''re not good enough for the main squad and instead should be playing alongside the likes of Quashie, Scimecca and Marcus Hall for the ''B'' side, I can understand why he wondered WTF was going on and dropped out.
That season Sutton finished as leading scorer in the league alongside Owen and Dublin with all of them on 18 goals, interesting that Dublin and Owen were given the nod, along with Shearer (7 goals after returning from injury), and Sheringham (14 goals), yet Sutton was binned off the ''B'' team instead...

You''ve basically answered your own question there though Indy.

Owen (best young striker in the country), Shearer (best striker in the country) and Sheringham (an insanely talented player) is a huge amount of competition.

The only one you can maybe dispute is Dublin.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="BobLoz3"]Sutton is ridiculously boring and an angry man as far as I can work out. So, imagine my delight when the Google Books page has this to say about the author;

About the author (2011)

Chris

[/quote]
He could be leading a double life.
Angry pundit during the day.
Meek and mild web developer by night.
There''s a cartoon series in there (albeit a rather dull one).
[/quote]Haha! Yes and we can set it in eastern Iowa, where ol Chrissy boy clearly resides nowadays [;)]

[quote user="king canary"]You''ve basically answered your own question there though Indy.

Owen (best young striker in the country), Shearer (best striker in the country) and Sheringham (an insanely talented player) is a huge amount of competition.
The only one you can maybe dispute is Dublin.[/quote]At the time though, Shearer had only recently returned from the ankle injury which had put him out for half the season and in truth wasn''t anything special that season (which is somewhat understandable), Sheringham had only scored 9 in the league and wasn''t on anywhere near top form either.
Clearly if both were on form, fully-fit and at their peak, you''d take either over Sutton, but at the time it wasn''t that clear a choice, and Dublin over Sutton was also very debateable at that stage, and obviously Sutton reacted poorly to it all.

Yes i read it, and instantly forgotten most of it.

Its on my kindle along with Harry Redknap and George Best, both of which are much better. . Nowhere near as good as Iwans.

Complete tangent but the most boring Autobiography I''ve ever read, sport or otherwise, was Steve Redgrave. Most chapters were:

I got up early. Trained all day. Went to the Olympics. Won. Repeat.

I was so disappointed

Was there not also something about hoddle previously saying that if players performed for the B team they would get a chance in the full team, Sutton scored a hat-trick next game and still didn''t get a look in.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]Chris Sutton''s autobiography - has anyone read it and is it any good?[/quote]

No thanks he''s a miserable cnut

For football biogs I recommend:

Journeyman by Ben Smith

Shades of Blue by David White

A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke by Ronald Reng

The Enke one is particularly outstanding

I think my holiday reading this summer will be:

Iniesta''s autobiography

The Mixer - premier league tactics by Michael Cox