Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

The Maddison and Murphy deals

If reports in the press today are correct suggesting Shaqiri is off to Man Utd for £12m the money we received for the 2 Murphys and Maddison is put into perspective. I suspect when you take wages into account the deal is probably nearer the Maddison deal but it looks like the club really did get top bucks for our young talent.

It works both ways though surely LDC? If a relegated club can cut wages after relegation, that''s in their favour. Of course, a young player with potential will look at this one way, a journeyman pro on his last big contract will see it differently.

I think only the most blinkered posters on here would argue that with Webber sorting contracts, the club isn''t getting the best deal we possibly can each time.

I think any team saying ''no relegation release clause'' would find players quite reasonably saying ''no relegation wage cut then.''

Or alternatively they just won''t sign.

It cuts both ways - you just have to accept some of these clauses if you want to attract the ''best'' players you can.

There are plenty of players who will sign without a relegation clause.  If a club is relegated the players are the ones who got it relegated therefore lower wages is to be expected and with no get out of jail free type rewards like relegation clauses. 

Unfortunately that is less and less a real world scenario - the better players will want to protect themselves and their incomes and have the power to do so.

Too much is made of “Relegation Clauses” within contracts. Whilst contracts are supposed to be taken out in parity , of course in many cases one party has a stronger hand than the other.

The Club once said that all contracts had relegation clauses in them. I suspect what that meant was all contracts have some provision in them that is effected by relegation, but this could include simply not getting a bonus that you would have got by staying up. Therefore, technically, the premise is true, but not all contracts will have the mythical 40% reduction that I have seen mentioned on here . And even if a contract does have it, if the player is in demand , he can simply go back in and re negotiate. John Ruddy actually secured a pay rise after relegation when Chelsea came knocking.

Look at the PFA website and you will see the intricacies of player contracts. Years ago there was such a thing as a standard PFA players contract, but more and more the agent will want their own wordings. Even the now infamous trigger clauses , as made famous by Neymar, are under massive scrutiny where even the method of payment of fees are significant.

Yesterday on talksport , Simon Jordan said Villa will sell Grealish for £25-30m. But Spurs have apparently written a cheque – cash – for £14m. Would the circumstances Villa find themselves in have an effect. Probably yes. Would Grealish sign a contract with Southampton without a relegation trigger ? Probably not. So again, the individual circumstances are what is key here, and no two contracts will be identical.

Selling the low hanging fruit is easy – particularly as the Fans never really know how much the club got for selling the registration of a player. The lauded “getting them off the wageroll” is one way of looking at it, but giving the player away (Jerome) for less than his probable market value isn’t rocket science. Selling Naismith and Jarvis is the tricky bit .

If you want a good , sought after player , the odds are there will be clauses loaded in the players favour in many ways including relegation.

@GP''s Beard

Yes, for some reason many on here seemed to think everyone had a 40-50% wage cut the second we went down which just clearly wasn''t the case.

I think only the most blinkered posters on here would argue that with Webber sorting contracts, the club isn''t getting the best deal we possibly can each time.

we all thought that when Mcnasty was doing the contracts !!!

[quote user="king canary"]@GP''s Beard

Yes, for some reason many on here seemed to think everyone had a 40-50% wage cut the second we went down which just clearly wasn''t the case.[/quote]
Not sure many fans thought players had their wages cut in half by relegation. But wages did drop by 30 per cent, from £53.7m in the PL season to £37.5m in the Championship season.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="king canary"]@GP''s Beard

Yes, for some reason many on here seemed to think everyone had a 40-50% wage cut the second we went down which just clearly wasn''t the case.[/quote]
Not sure many fans thought players had their wages cut in half by relegation. But wages did drop by 30 per cent, from £53.7m in the PL season to £37.5m in the Championship season.
[/quote]
To add, that season we only offloaded two high-earners in the summer, Redmond and van Wolfswinkel, with Brady and Olssson going in the winter, with Pritchard and Oliveira, and later Wildschut, coming in, so it is a fair assumption that relegation clauses were responsible for a significant part of that susbstantial drop in player wages.

The wages in the premier league season included significant bonuses for promotion from the previous year. We''ve had this discussion before I''m sure.

i should say MAY HAVE included significant bonuses as these were possibly paid before financial year end 2015 - triggered by the promotion in May . I don''t know either way and not sure whether this would be identified by the accounts.

[quote user="GPs Beard"]i should say MAY HAVE included significant bonuses as these were possibly paid before financial year end 2015 - triggered by the promotion in May . I don''t know either way and not sure whether this would be identified by the accounts.[/quote]
It is not clear what is meant by "player wages" in this context. There is no definition, so it may or may not include bonuses. It may just be basic wages. As to when any promotion bonuses would be paid, I would assume in that financial year in which the promotion happens, since that year does not end until June 30. And indeed  in the two Premier League relegation years, when we made a profit when we had not budgeted to, or broke even (I forget the details offhand) the directors explained that was because we had not had to pay out bonuses for staying up. So I think it has to be in that financial year. The only obvious fact is that the wage bill, however defined, did fall significantly.

Delia is the one who should have had a relegation clause because in that way we could have got rid of her 4 times.

Can she now be given a retrospective contract with relegation clauses so that we can have 4 ceremonial sackings all at once?