Sign in to follow this  
Bill

So. is Mathews up to it ?

........and do we need three keepers ?
My thought is that yes he is, and McGovern is all the cover we need.
Why pay a wage to someone who will be sat on the bench for almost all his time here ?

1) We don''t know.

2) Whether we need three keepers is dependent on how much faith there is in the other young keepers. Lambert obviously had enough faith in Rudd and Steer to just have Ruddy in the squad, yet Hughton clearly didn''t.

I''m sure they''ll be seeing how he looks in pre-season for the next few weeks. Probably in what ways he has come on since his loan, if they see marked improvement in the areas they thought he was weak on before his loan, whatever they are I think he''ll be given a shot.

I would imagine that Farke knows how far Mathews has progressed as the club will have been monitoring his progress throughout last season.
From all accounts he appears to have done well. Top of L1 is not a huge leap to the Championship either.
My point about the number of keepers is that we do no longer have a PL budget, so what Hughton did does not necessarily apply here.
If McGovern is not up to covering for an injured first choice keeper then why is he here ? I''m sure Oxborough is up to covering if both keepers are injured, long enough for us to sign an emergency loan keeper

I''m sure McGovern is up to it, even though I don''t really rate him.

The question is more how comfortable the management team is with being one injury away from Oxborough playing. I''ve got no knowledge of him so can''t answer that.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m sure McGovern is up to it, even though I don''t really rate him.
The question is more how comfortable the management team is with being one injury away from Oxborough playing. I''ve got no knowledge of him so can''t answer that.[/quote]There''s no way that Oxborough is ready for an extended period in goal IMHO, and in truth, if he performed poorly in even a handful of games which cost us points, that in itself could be the difference between auto promotion, playoffs or nothing, and I can''t see the club being willing to risk that unless they genuinely believe he''d be good enough to cover.
I''d expect a loanee to arrive relatively soon, but what this means for Matthews we can''t say atm, I''d argue that if he''s not going to get the chance with us now, then he likely never will, as he''s shown he can perform at the top of the league below, a loan to a champs team is highly unlikely and if he''s good enough for that level then arguably he''s good enough for us as well.

"if he performed poorly in even a handful of games which cost us points,"
eh ?
my point was
"Oxborough is up to covering if both keepers are injured, long enough for us to sign an emergency loan keeper"
ie during the game that McGovern is injured in. No one is talking about him playing more than as cover on the day.
that''s all

Hasn''t Oxborough already signed up on loan somewhere?

If it were Danny Ward or Remi Mathews, as much as I want to see Remi do well for us, I''d have to say Ward. He''s experienced at this level & did well for Huddersfield the season they went up.

I would like to see him play for City and I think he is up to it. Naturally only time will tell , but I do not think a keeper is the priority...

Gunny was better , real class, but he''s not coming back...

Ward is a good shout though and he''s got more experience...

but it is just a question of priorities , we need strikers first and foremost

So...

You''ve decided you think Matthews is good enough

And that McGovern is fine as cover.

And that Oxborough would be fine if called upon.

So why ask?

Not convinced. Did ok at Hamilton and Plymouth, but our local media reported it as though he single handedly turned Plymouths season around, a look at the forums suggest Hamilton fans thought McGovern was a lot better and Plymouth fans thought he was ok, nothing more

Nobody knows whether he is up to Championship football despite all the posters on here who have never seen him pull on a Norwich jersey claiming he is based on comments from Plymouth fans on social media and a few 20 second clips from Plymouth games on Channel 5 on a saturday night.

Fair enough... we have to see him perform first!

But naturally getting an experienced goalkeeper, proven to be a good performer at Championship level, would be the best.

I''d rather see McGovern sold tbh...don''t rate him...

Are emergency keeper loans still a thing - I though they were stopped?

Also why does there appear to be an acceptance that a young league one striker can step up to the champs after half a good season but not a goalkeeper? Remi also did well him Hamilton so I suspect he is in with a shout. Totally accept that, just like any outfield player there is a risk he could struggle. I have no idea whether he is good enough - he has had the chance to show the management team either way.

We do need a third keeper, Oxborough would benefit from a loan and competetive football for the season; so whether the third is a Carlo Nash type signing or one to compete with Remi is for webber and farke to agree. Based on my limited knowledge I would aim for a Nash signing and reevaluate come Jan.

I think Matthews is good enough to be one of our top two keepers having watched him for several seasons. I do think we need a loan keeper to replace McGovern, firstly because I don''t really rate him & secondly he doesn''t count as a home grown player. Then it would be down to who is performing the best to get the place.

Certainly think Oxborough would be fine as third choice.

The talk of signing another keeper seems to have gone quiet again. Truth is, until pre-season comes we as fans will have no idea who is pole for number one. I''m sure either Remi or McGovern are decent keepers, but are either of them as good as Gunn?

Speaking to three Argyle season ticket holders, they were full of praise and indeed do believe that he played a major part in Argyle''s march from bottom at Xmas to one off the play offs.

We will never know until we give him the chance. We may have lost out on promotion due to Maddison being sent out on loan (I said may) and I don''t see the point in messing about for another season when Matthews has performed well for a team not that far below us.

[quote user="Mr Benn"]
I would imagine that Farke knows how far Mathews has progressed as the club will have been monitoring his progress throughout last season.
From all accounts he appears to have done well. Top of L1 is not a huge leap to the Championship either.
My point about the number of keepers is that we do no longer have a PL budget, so what Hughton did does not necessarily apply here.
If McGovern is not up to covering for an injured first choice keeper then why is he here ? I''m sure Oxborough is up to covering if both keepers are injured, long enough for us to sign an emergency loan keeper
[/quote]

The reports on Matthews progress will have told Farke a lot but not everything. I feel confident that Farke will be wanting to see how things like character have developed and certain aspects of his game have grown on a close up day to day basis while training with better players. Any doubt in his mind and I think we''ll see another keeper, although i''m hopeful that Matthews gets his chance. Also the jump from league 1 to championship football is bigger than you are making out.

In the case of McGovern we know that he has proved that he is no good.

No one knows a thing about Matthews at this point.

Most definitely need a proven top keeper and should have been the No. 1 priority.

No McGovern in the squad tonight, Remi Starts sign Oxborough on the bench