Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

City Summer Transfer Thread.

I don’t think you’ll find one person on this message board who doesn’t think Norwich need at least one, but most likely two strikers.

Just because other positions have been done earlier doesn’t mean strikers aren’t top priority.

Striker however is probably the hardest position on the pitch to recruit. The fees and wages are higher than any other position and a striker’s effectiveness is easier to measure than any other position.

Don’t fret about who comes in and when, Norwich have 7 weeks left of the transfer window and getting the right player is the key. If the club do intent to drop pretty much all their budget on one key striker then they have to be 100% certain it is the right player. It might be the club want to secure the sale of Nelson before getting the striker so they have as much resource available to spend on whoever it is.

I highly doubt Jack Marriott is someone Norwich are considering - Peterborough are just trying to get a public auction going and move him on ASAP, like Norwich did with Maddison.

According to 442 (allegedly) there''s talk of us swapping Hanley for Berahino. :-/

I''ll post a link if I can find one.

The other issue is availability. The early phases of the window tend to start with the Bosmans, and then those players who are surplus to their current club''s requirements. So whilst Moritz Leitner and Ben Marshall were in similar positions, Marshall either has more suitors or a more difficult decision to make. Maybe Premiership managers want to see young players in pre-season. Often clubs won''t sell players unless they''ve agreed deals to sign their replacements.
The club will have a list of positions to fill, and will be filling them as the players become available.

In the light of our already busy summer, what Webber and Stone said in a Q&A at the AGM of the Canaries Trust back in March may be of interest. These are not direct quotes from Webber (mainly) but reported speech, with a few comments from me in square brackets and in red:There will be no big transfer budget this summer without the

combination of player sales or high earners, including some out on loan,

being moved on. It is hoped it will be easier to make changes this

summer, with a number of older, high earning players, who have just a

year left on their contracts, plus he [Webber] and DF have had a full year to

prepare, but they will need to be creative. There is still an overhang from the Premier League contracts, which

continue until June 2019, and there are players on loan on very large

wages.The biggest problem after a turnover of players is allowing a settling

in time. The settling in time was minimised for many of them this

season, including DF [a suggestion Farke may have learned a few lessons along the way?]. On top of a new country, Championship style of

football was a new experience, and some settled quicker than others.

Even happens to top players for example Pogba and Sanchez at Man Utd. It

appears the second half of the season has been better than the first.
DF

came in with a culture change with a mixture of youth and overseas

players and players must get used to cultural differences both on and

off the field. The Club is mindful of EFL Foreign Player Rules and

any affect of Brexit on foreign players [a so far mainly unmentioned effect of the referendum]. This adds to the

needs to produce a quality academy with a reasonable production of young

home-grown players.
The new Head of Recruitment has 4 full-time scouts and 2 full-time

“data scouts” who will follow players over time allowing the Club to

prepare two to three years ahead. The scouts are primarily focusing on

four overseas leagues [Germany and three others I take it, but presumably Spain is one, given the arrival of Buendia]. The key is to get good value players whose value

can be increased and who will fit in with the existing players at

Colney. There has been a culture shift at Colney with the intake of

young and hungry players, the new players feel indebted to Norwich City

for giving them a chance, this is the reverse of the situation SW found

when he was first appointed [hmmmmm. Perhaps true but also perhaps a touch of Webber spin?]. By necessity the recruitment team are

“fishing in a different pond” to their predecessors. NCFC have agreed a

summer acquisition, but not in a position to announce it as yet [presumably Buendia].

Not currently looking like we will be relying on the likes of Godfrey, Thompson, Cantwell.

I hope this doesn''t end up like the Rioch/Hamilton era when we just rolled out cheap continental players.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The scouts are primarily focusing on

four overseas leagues [Germany and three others I take it, but presumably Spain is one, given the arrival of Buendia]. The key is to get good value players whose value

can be increased and who will fit in with the existing players at

Colney.
[/quote]
If it''s four, then it''s most likely Germany, Spain, France and Holland. In a Q&A video still up on the official website, I''m sure he''d said they were looking at Germany, Spain, France, Holland and Belgium, and the Belgian league would be the weakest of those five.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Not currently looking like we will be relying on the likes of Godfrey, Thompson, Cantwell.

I hope this doesn''t end up like the Rioch/Hamilton era when we just rolled out cheap continental players.[/quote]

Thompson & Cantwell out on loan but I hope to see Godfrey get a decent share of game time this season. Think he has great potential and needs some opportunities

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Seems Stoke are trying hard to sign Canos from Brentford. I believe Norwich have a sell-on clause from when he was sold, so might be a little bit more in the kitty to spend on someone.[/quote]

Canos is not a very Rowett signing, nor is Matt Richie. Is someone above Rowett selecting players? Not sure how well that will work. But if they want to buy Canos and we are due a sell on, hope he does it. Just seems odd.

i think they will fill all other positions then go for strikers then we will know exactly how much we can afford and spend

no point going out and spending the money on a striker and leaving us short or on other hand landing all other positions and then finding out we had a couple of million extra we could of landed a better striker

Hot off the (EDP) press.

"French striker Samuel Essende is reportedly being chased by Norwich City after the 20-year-old left Paris Saint-Germain."

Some studious Wiki then.

Initial reaction, before impeding research is too young.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Initial reaction, before impeding research is too young.[/quote]Kylian Mbappe says hi...

"Kylian Mbappe says hi..."

Hi Kylian, do you use Gillette or Wilkinson?

I''m thinking we do not need another promising youngster for the immediate task.

A proven goalscorer like Marriott would be my priority.

If he was as good as Kylian Mbappe he wouldn''t be in our sights in any case.

French striker in question looks like an U23 option, like Fonkue was last season. Doubt he is considered an immediate option for the first team.

Abrahams is out on loan so Norwich likely sniffing around at free agents and non-league strikers.

as has been said, it''s a long shot. but regardless I don''t think we should be complaining. Turned down a new contract at PSG, so obviously has the quality and the promise.

i think the only real argument here is the home-grown quota, but if the players good enough we simply cant-not sign them.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]If he was as good as Kylian Mbappe he wouldn''t be in our sights in any case.[/quote]Clearly, but the point was that you can''t just dismiss a potential player based purely on age, as there already a number of world class players at a similar age (or younger) such as Mbappe which totally disprove this.
PSG are hardly a poor side, he''s had moments of brilliance (as well as periods of very little) for them, and on a free transfer represents very little risk for a relatively low outlay.
Would he be the main striker we all want - absolutely not, but you get talent when it''s available IMHO, and that signing wouldn''t stop us bringing in a ''proven goalscorer'' like you suggest.

i imagine if he turned down PSG he thinks he is ready for 1st team action otherwise why not play for PSG under 23''s

i would hope someone who has been at PSG and they want to keep him is better than the strikers we have here at the moment

The reports are that Anderlecht have already made several offers, while other interesred clubs,, such as Brighton, Genoa and Norwich City, have not. That suggests he is taking him time. Physically he is obviously very imposing,, and does martial arts, hence the inevitable Ibra comparisons, but he says he is also quick. Unfortunately the chances are he will become a star elsewhere than Norfolk.