Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

City Summer Transfer Thread.

Have to agree with the above comments.  Josh?..he had very much reached his limit at City, was a no brainer at 11 mill. Madders?..all City fans im sure by now prepared for the inevitable. Watkins?..getting a mill for him is as good as it gets. If a concrete bid did come in for Godfrey i really hope City turn it down. His loan to the Shrews worked for him so well, its absolutely what was needed and hopefully now he can finally break into City''s squad regularly. One positive from last season was DF realising how important it was to have a guy like Alex Tettey in the matchday team. Godfrey, after last seasons efforts, should be more than capable of being in the team when Tetts need those rests, and surely way beyond that into the future.

Would be a mistake to sell Godfrey imo.  Should be in the mix as a first team regular starter next season and as previously said, if he has a good season, which he almost certainly will, his value will be much higher than the figures being bandied around at the moment. Keep him, develop him and give him his chance - the rest is up to him, as it was with Maddison. Selling him just because bids have been made would be short sighted and disappointing....but then if he pushes for a move, it would be difficult to get in his way. Hope he stays.

Wouldn''t surprise me if his agent was stirring the pot, but it''s weird to see the BBC running such a gossipy article.
He signed a long term deal last year, fits into the wage structure, and £3million is derisory. Other people have commented on his attitude on twitter, so maybe he''s not happy here, but Webber isn''t going to sell on the cheap.

Is £3m derisory for a guy with just 1 season of League 1 football on his CV?

[quote user="GJP"]Is £3m derisory for a guy with just 1 season of League 1 football on his CV?[/quote]
It''s derisory when you consider the Murphys went for £10+ million a piece and Maddison will likely go for at least £15 million. Prices based on one full Championship season.
No point selling a player until you know what sort of level he can realistically perform at, not where he''s played.

But the Championship is a much stronger division than League 1.

And they are all players who can and have scored goals. People pay money for goals.

Not sure how much truth is in this but assuming we did sell godfrey I would be far angrier and upset than when we sell maddison.

I appreciate we have to sell maddison and unless we are promoted any time soon will continue to have to sell but I don''t think anyone invested in to our youth set up to just sell players as soon as a couple of million is offered.

But I don''t believe Webber would even consider selling him unless the offer is too good to turn down ie £8-10m

I read the rumour for Godfrey is £6m. Hell of a return if so. But I hope we keep him. Like others have said, to sell would make a mockery of the up and coming youngsters strategy

I don''t think you can seriously advocate a long term strategy if you sell all your best youngsters at the first decent bid.

The sales of Pritchard, Maddison and Murphy should mean we''re not desperate to sell and a year at this level could hugely increase his price.

It is also important though that we don''t block our younger players routes to the first team so I''m not hugely taken with the idea of a loanee keeper instead of Mathews or bringing Reed back unless he''s going to be mainly playing right back.

I would be deeply unhappy if we sold Godfrey this summer for the sort of fee being suggested in the rumours. I would go so far as to say it would be likely to cause a considerable backlash against st the board.

I grudgingly accept that Maddison will go if we get the right price. Murphy I can also see the logic in cashing in even though I think we cannot just continue to sell anyone vaguely decent. Bringing Godfrey into our first team next season is the very definition of the “project” we are told the club is embarking on. To sell him at the first hunt of any cash would be very disappointing indeed.

Like every player if someone offers enough Norwich will sell - I doubt £3m would be seen as enough, but £6m probably would be.

I see Norwich are now trying to sign Ben Marshall from Wolves. He has great delivery from wide and real step up from Marley Watkins.

Mr. Karanka at Forest needs two strikers and has identified his list of targets, they being Mr. Grabban, Mr. Oliveira and Mr. Bamford. So plenty of City connections there then.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Mr. Karanka at Forest needs two strikers and has identified his list of targets, they being Mr. Grabban, Mr. Oliveira and Mr. Bamford. So plenty of City connections there then.[/quote]

Had a look on Forest forum and they are talking about Oliveira being linked, recently signed a couple of players from Portugal so might make sense but also could be that someone just putting 2 + 2 together. Apparently Oliveria following them on Instagram although could be a throwback from his time there before. They seem to be splashing abit of cash about so if he goes lets hope we get a decentish fee.

Nelson Olivieira’s agent is Jorge Mendes, who moved a lot of his clients to Wolves last season (some what contraversially as the owner of Wolves also owns 20% of Mendes’ agency).

Forest’s new Director of Football, Pedro Pereira is friends with Mendes. The two Portuguese lads Forest have just signed are both Mendes clients - so I really wouldn’t be surprised if Olivieria ends up also at Forest.

Seems Mendes felt moving his clients to a Championship team last season was pretty successful and is looking to do the same again this season with Forest.

Other rumours doing the rounds...City are interested in Newcastle''s young 21 yr old goalie Freddie Woodman and City and Millwall are chasing Wolves winger Ben Marshall (Alan Nixon, Twitter).
Despite the World Cup, good to see there is plenty of the usual transfer malarkey out there.

[quote user="Essjayess"]
Other rumours doing the rounds...City are interested in Newcastle''s young 21 yr old goalie Freddie Woodman and City and Millwall are chasing Wolves winger Ben Marshall (Alan Nixon, Twitter).
Despite the World Cup, good to see there is plenty of the usual transfer malarkey out there.
[/quote]

Rumoured to be loan, Woodman couldn''t get a game ahead of Joe Lewis at Aberdeen last season, is he really going to be better than what we currently have? Time to resolve the goal Keeper situation properly.

Woodman is certainly a step down from the likes of Henderson or Ward as previously linked. I''d hope if he did come in its more to back up Remi than as a starter.

What do ppl think we actually need now after Murphy n maddison have gone.

Looking at the squad now we still have what I think is a good competitive side

Matthews

Pinto Hanley klose lewis

Tettey

Vrancic godfrey trybull

Buendia

Oliveira

I think a gk tho Matthews may be fine

A right back/wingback tho maybe this Ben marshall we are supposedly after can play there

Possibly another creative midfielder

And 1 definitely or maybe 2 strikers

Obviously there may be more sales but right now, to me at least, we actually look better than I thought

Strong bench too McGovern husband Zimmerman raggett stieperman Hernandez wildschutt srbeny with Cantrell Thompson and 1 or 2 other under 23s.

With 2 or 3 good additions we could be quite good

I''d think right now I''d want us lining up as....

Matthews

Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman

Pinto, Tettey, Vrancic, Lews

Hernandez, Nelson, Buendia

3-4-3 with Lewis and Pinto operating as wingbacks.

We certainly need more strikers and I think another wide player.

Matthews

Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman

Hernandez as never scored more than 5 goals in a season and buendia as only ever scored 7 in lot weaker leagues than ours , Nelson would you put your faith in him ?

i would be very worried by lack of goals in that line up also / flair and creating chances

we have a lot of goals to make up with Maddison and Murphy gone

Maddison had never scored more than 2 goals in a season before last season, and Murphy had never scored more than 5.

Different teams and systems produce better results out of players.

Although I’m pretty sure King Canary wasn’t advocating this for our first games, just what is available now.

@Norfolkngood

I''m not saying that team is going up, just that is how I''d line us up if the season started tomorrow.

@Bethnal

Exactly.

I always thought we looked best in the 3-4-2-1/3-4-3 formation but conversely it was a formation that actually didn''t suit Maddison hugely.

I do agree with Norfolkngoods concern as to where the goals will be coming from next season though as our midfield is stocked with creators and playmakers who don''t often trouble the scoresheet- Vrancic and Leitner being cases in point.

Once we get the 2 or 3 new guys that are surely set to join before the season starts, it will really start to dawn on all fans how much the City squad has changed. Only Alex Tettey survives of the "old guard" and we are looking at Ivo and big Timm as regular veterans, even though they have only been here two n half seasons.
Yes, Naismith, Martin, Jarvis still haunt in the background, but they for sure will not be around the first team, unless Jarvis can find a miracle to keep uninjured. Starting to look like a real Webber / DF squad, for good or bad or indifferent.

King sorry yes i understand that is if picked today and that is not your Team to start but wow if we started with anything like that i think we would be in big trouble goals wise

As for Maddison only scoring 2 goals before this season true but totally different class than any of those 3 front players in fact i doubt if all 3 would score anywhere near what maddison did alone last season

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Matthews

Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman

Hernandez as never scored more than 5 goals in a season and buendia as only ever scored 7 in lot weaker leagues than ours , Nelson would you put your faith in him ?

i would be very worried by lack of goals in that line up also / flair and creating chances

we have a lot of goals to make up with Maddison and Murphy gone[/quote]

100% none of our current squad will get anywhere near double figures for goals so that (along with a right back) is the number 1 priority. We need at least two decent strikers