Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Sterling

Is it me or anyone else frustrated by Sterling. He looks a shell of the player he is at Man C.

Feel he''s been disappointing in previous games and really hoped this would be his game. But to get two clear chances at this level and fail.

But great first half lads!!!!!

He’s running and energy has been sublime.

Confidence in front of goal has gone but as the panel on Bbc have just said he is doing loads for the team.

IF he gets a goal in this game his confidence will soar and I could see him winning us the World Cup

#come on England

Definitely frustrating but he is scaring Sweden to death and getting into some great positions it''s just his finishing and final ball that''s missing.

To be fair, and I''m not moaning about the possible golden boot winner but take away the pens and 2 tap ins v Tunisia and 1 that hit him...kane has not been getting into goal scoring positions at all..i don''t see him breaking his neck to get in box for crosses ..im just surprised deviant looking more a threat in open play

The parallels to Norwich''s past season are obvious - all pace and frustration (Murphy / Sterling), why is our center forward playing in midfield (Olivera / Kane), how did he save that? (Gunn / Pickford) The only difference is England are winning, must therefore be a problem with the manager.

[quote user="Surfer"]The parallels to Norwich''s past season are obvious - all pace and frustration (Murphy / Sterling), why is our center forward playing in midfield (Olivera / Kane), how did he save that? (Gunn / Pickford) The only difference is England are winning, must therefore be a problem with the manager.[/quote]
Except we don''t score from set pieces [:P]

Abit frustrating again but caused Sweden some real issues. I think there''s abit of the John Barnes problem, plays great for club never quiet does it for country. In the same way though he''s so good for club that you feel you have to keep going with him in the hope that suddenly he clicks into gear.

Very frustrating but he is going to have a real big game soon and I would love it to be the Final.

A good game yes, a great game might involve him either scoring or creating an assist for a goal.

Agree he ended up putting in a real shift and was always causing problems. Had a really good second half

looks to me Sterling is trying to hard to score and over thinking the Man city sterling would have scored today

we have to remember the amount of pressure on these lads he will come good

having said that i would have took him off at 60 mins and put rashford on

“A good game yes, a great game might involve him either scoring or creating an assist for a goal.”

I totally disagree. A forwards job is to get the team to score goals. It doesn’t matter who gets them.

Stirling did enough to make it more likely that England would score that he had a really good match.

Goals scored are one of the worst ways to measure a forwards contribution, because while they are easily available they leave out well over half of what a forward needs to do.

[quote user="Surfer"]The parallels to Norwich''s past season are obvious - all pace and frustration (Murphy / Sterling), why is our center forward playing in midfield (Olivera / Kane), how did he save that? (Gunn / Pickford) The only difference is England are winning, must therefore be a problem with the manager.[/quote]
what that ?

FWIW, I thought that Sterling was a big part in our success today and caused all sorts of difficulties. Goals would be great but he still contributed loads.

but then you are not so desperate to find a stick

[quote user="7rew"]“A good game yes, a great game might involve him either scoring or creating an assist for a goal.”

I totally disagree. A forwards job is to get the team to score goals. It doesn’t matter who gets them.

Stirling did enough to make it more likely that England would score that he had a really good match.

Goals scored are one of the worst ways to measure a forwards contribution, because while they are easily available they leave out well over half of what a forward needs to do.[/quote] So on those grounds would you say Olive branch was a success for us this year?

He''s been pretty good all tournament to be fair. His hold up play and interlinking has been excellent but he definitely needs a goal!

“So on those grounds would you say Olive branch was a success for us this year?”

No. Far from it. Oliveria is precisely the kind of player that is overvalued when judged by his goals alone.

It’s Srbeny that I rate higher than his goals scored suggests at Norwich. We were more dangerous as a team when he played than when Oliveria played, even though personally Oliveria scored more.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want another striker in this window, but that I am perfectly happy with Srbeny being In the squad.

He did ok but personally I wouldn’t be starting him against Croatia. It could well be a game of few chances and I’d rather a chance fall to Vardy or Rashford who I’d fancy to take it.

A chance is less likely to fall to those players which is why Sterling is starting; he is creating opportunities himself.

Think Vardy and Rashford blew their chances a bit against Belgium.

Sterling clearly scares defences and we''d obviously decided he was going to play on the shoulder which led to Kane dropping deeper.

Lovren and co won''t relish dealing with him on Wednesday.

hogesar wrote the following post at 08/07/2018 4:52 PM:

A chance is less likely to fall to those players which is why Sterling is starting; he is creating opportunities himself.

Sterling’s biggest chance was a long ball over the top which he used his pace to get onto and then missed a one on one with the keeper. You don’t think that Vardy gets those type of chances then?

Problem is Rashford hardly staked a claim v Belgium.

Sterling looks shot of confidence in front of goal so is overthinking everything. Take his chance yesterday. Perfect ball and touch, then it all went wrong. He hesitates, so keeper comes out, so he tries to go round the keeper, but keeper is too close and does well. Then instead of playing a simple 3 yard pass sideways he hesitates again, tries to take a player gone and get a shot away and it becomes easy to defend against.

I have no issue with his play outside the box (although sometimes there are easy balls on he ignores) but against better teams we may not be able to afford to miss those types of chances without getting punished

I have no issue with his play outside the box (although sometimes there are easy balls on he ignores) but against better teams we may not be able to afford to miss those types of chances without getting punished

Agreed, which is what I’m saying. I’ve no issues with Sterling’s play, he was a threat all game and deserved a goal. But in a game against Croatia if it comes down to that one moment I’m not sure he’s got the confidence to take it. That chance you mention yesterday, Vardy gets it and more likely than not he buries it.

Vardy takes it first time and smashes it past the keeper. If the keeper saves it it''s a great save. Sterling just hesitates/thinks and makes it that bit easier for the keeper, which means they can then get bodies between the ball & goal