Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Deadwood / those to leave

With Rhodes in, it looks like it for Nélson, but checked our squad list and seems we have a few others to go. Seems like we are stocking piling again: now players in, we can move them on. My thoughts?

Deadwood:

Nélson - 2 strikers signed. Looks toast.

Marco Stiepermann - 3rd choice left back. 7th or 8th choice midfielder - needs to go.

Yanic Wildschut - not liked by management. Hope we sell and not another loan.

Russel Martin - time to move on.

Ivo Pinto - harsh to ever call him deadwood as a decent guy, but 2 players signed in his position and 1 year on contract. Time to move on.

Matt Jarvis - more likely to retire than be signed by anyone.

Potential loans out:

Carlton Morris - with 2 strikers signed and Dennis already here, seems might be best for him to go on loan again.

Louis Thompson - 2 years out. Might need a start to get fit again.

Could probably do with maybe 1 more forward player. Maybe, then I would be happy. Depends where Farke sees the new boys and Cantwell playing.

Difficult to argue with much of that- Morris obviously won''t go anywhere until January due to his injury though.

Only concern would be letting tw permanent players go (Nelson and Pinto) on the back of two loanee signings.

Stiepermann is a very useful squad player and versatile enough to fit in anywhere in the team, he did well to start with last season but thereafter injury affected his season.  With a good pre-season he should be good to fit in where needed.

Nelson - replace if he wants to leave, we still need options. if not he can score at this level and can work with rhodes or pukki.

Stiepermann - Keep - versatile and cheap, has the presence and energy to be a wing back or could we revert him to a centre back given raggetts emerging limitations

Raggett - if we the coaches have doubts time to loan or sell and recruit one more suited to our style

Martin - loan out if we can, if not move to primarily a coaching role working in games with u23 to bring them along. We should be looking to the future rather than have him involved with the first team at all.

Pinto - happy to keep if we can.

Jarvis - who will take him while injured?? will have to accept until contract runs down or deemed unable to continue career.

Yanic - sell or loan

Thompson - perhaps a 6m loan?

Morris - loan once fit.

Probably not a very popular opinion on here due to his attitude but imagine if Farke was to opt for a 5-3-2 and could get Rhodes and Oliveira working in tandem and playing well, one of the best strike forces in the league if both on form.

I''m with lincsy88. If we don''t need to sell Oliveira, I wouldn''t. A class player, when he wants to be, who offers a huge threat for us up top. If he can overcome that attitude issue - which festered for far too long last season - and Farke is able to integrate him into the team, then we''ll be much stronger for it.

If he is to go though, at least it will be on our terms now.

Looking at where we were a year ago it has too be said how little deadwood is left.

I wouldn''t class Nelson, Stiepermann or Pinto as deadwood as they will obviously play a part in the first team under certain circumstances. Raggett, Thompson and Morris are at the start of their careers so more of a development thing than a getting rid.

That ones who we are paying who won''t contribute are Jarvis, Martin and Yanic.

I agree with you lincsy, so that''s two of us. Sadly though, I think the relationship between Oliveira and Farke is too broken to mend. His social media posts about possession based teams not winning at the World Cup won''t have gone unnoticed.

He hasn''t been involved in either friendly so far. Davitt asked DF last night where the signing of Pukki and Rhodes left Oliveira - his reply: "you can never have too many options" said with a glint...''

If those two were firing on all cylinders in a 5-3-2, we could be in for an exciting season.

Nelson had no competition so wouldn''t necessarily have had to have fought that hard to get match time based on the fact he was the only decent striking option we had.

Now there''s very, very healthy competition up there we could once again get the best out of him.

I agree we should only sell if he wants to leave or if we have to, if we can keep him it''d be another great option for us if we can have him playing at his best again.

Hairy - interesting you say Yanic; I think I''m right in saying he''s featured in both friendlies so far and is quoted on the club''s report from the game on social media. Perhaps there is a future here for him? Though I suspect you''re right, if a club made an offer for him, it''d be listened to.

Tend to also think that Yanic could offer a different dimension and worth keeping in the squad if only as an impact player. We don''t have anyone else so direct with that much pace (possible Onel) but I think Yanic is quicker and could be a massive option to open a tight game up for last 20 minutes etc.

Of those in gissings list, only Martin and Jarvis can be considered deadwood, with Olly and Yanic as possible "those to leave" but, like others, would not be sad if they stayed, they could have roles with us this season.

Martin and Jarvis deadwood? Surely they still have valuable roles to play for the benefit of the stick wavers and as general scapegoats.

Apples

I really do not get this sudden little love-in regarding Oliveira believing him to have been detrimental to the cause last season and unlikely to change his ways.

I would want rid, asap, and also believe that Farke would be happy to see the back of this miscreant, who despite the greatly increased competition he now faces will seemingly still think that the main striker role is his by right.

Additionally, we could do with his wages being off the payroll and with any possible reward from selling him.

We also have a few of our young, promising, eager and compliant youngsters bubbling under and I, for one, would not want their route to success hindered by the presence of this egoist in our squad.

Of course Oliveira could stop being a nellie, knuckle down and give the club the benefit of his self-proclaimed talent, which would be brilliant.

However I feel this is unlikely in the long-term as it seems he will be easily upset by the slightest set-back, and besides he''s burned his bridges already in my opinion.

Oliveira remains top of my list regarding departures from the club and I anticipate that the events of the last two weeks in the transfer market will see him on his way sooner rather than later.

I prefer to have faith in Pukki and Rhodes and others and therefore in the manager than in that particular individual, whatever his pedigree.

Good riddance, say I.

Putting aside his attitude for a moment (which of course is difficult, but let''s try for the sake of argument), in terms of ability to score goals alone, I''d put our strikers in the following order:

1st - Rhodes

2nd - Oliveira

3rd - Pukki

4th - Srebny

5th etc - Abrahams / Idah et al

Of course, it''s far more complicated than that, with teamwork, combinations, formations, form, attitude etc, which is where my simplistic list falls down!

[quote user="AJ"]Nelson had no competition so wouldn''t necessarily have had to have fought that hard to get match time based on the fact he was the only decent striking option we had.

Now there''s very, very healthy competition up there we could once again get the best out of him. [/quote]
The last time he had competition, he got sulky he didn''t start, came on and subsequent to scoring decided to try and show up our head coach during his first league game in charge. So no idea if having competition will make a difference to his pretty petty attitude.