Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Jordan Rhodes

Agree LDC, I think a lot was being made of Farke''s tactics but with the right personnel being less wasteful we may just see the upside to his style of play

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="Ploppy son of Ploppy "]Very pleased with this move if it comes off[/quote]
???
Are you feeling ok? 
[/quote]

Credit where credit is due

Delia out stinking rich Arab owner in

Our potential new front 3;

Pukki Rhodes Buendía

The sign of a new era of attacking brute at NCFC?

Bearing in mind we''ve got Hernandez, Marshall, Passlack and possibly Jarvis and Cantwell that can play out wide too it could be pretty interesting.

Farke certainly can''t complain about a lack of options in our squad now, he should have plan B, C, D and E available to him at this rate!

I hope we play two up front to start with anyway and Rhodes coming would indicate that.

Matthews

Hanley Zimmermann Klose

Godfrey

Marshall MacLean Leitner Lewis

Pukki Rhodes

would signal some intent for me.

By the way, those who think Nelson is lazy and doesn''t do enough work will have an absolute field day with Rhodes.

Norwich played with two strikers for a few months last season as Farke looked for solutions. In the 2-2 draw with Wolves Watkins started up front with Srbeny and Murphy played up front with Nelson quite a few times. It obviously never really worked, but the personnel probably weren’t quite right.

If Norwich play a possession game I see no reason why Rhodes couldn’t play on his own up front, Norwich tended to build up to edge of the box well but couldn’t break into the more dangerous areas - someone like Rhodes who does all his work in the box could do well with that.

Buendia has played most of his games so far on the left and Pukki can play left or right (he is just as comfortable on either foot apparently). I feel though that Pukki wasn’t brought in as first choice but provides versatility across the front 3 or 4 positions depending on formation.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I hope we play two up front to start with anyway and Rhodes coming would indicate that.

Matthews

Hanley Zimmermann Klose

Godfrey

Pukki Rhodes

would signal some intent for me.[/quote]

And you can add Trybull, Tettey, Buendia, Hernandez and Vrancic to that list Keelan. And all assumes Pinto and Oliveira will leave. Suddenly the squad doesn''t look so light.

[quote user="king canary"]By the way, those who think Nelson is lazy and doesn''t do enough work will have an absolute field day with Rhodes.[/quote]

Personally, I''d take laziness if it means he can return 20 goals this season and we finish in the play-offs!

[quote user="king canary"]By the way, those who think Nelson is lazy and doesn''t do enough work will have an absolute field day with Rhodes.[/quote]
Prepping myself already. [:D]
Although if he actually scores goals then it''s much easier to forgive the work-rate. Which is why Nelson (finally) got stick from more than just me and a couple of others by the end of the season - he wasn''t committed AND he wasn''t scoring.

[quote user="Woodman"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]I hope we play two up front to start with anyway and Rhodes coming would indicate that.

Matthews

Hanley Zimmermann Klose

Godfrey

Pukki Rhodes

would signal some intent for me.[/quote]

And you can add Trybull, Tettey, Buendia, Hernandez and Vrancic to that list Keelan. And all assumes Pinto and Oliveira will leave. Suddenly the squad doesn''t look so light.[/quote]Do you not see us playing Passlack?

From''t Sheffield Star:

Wednesday striker Jordan Rhodes is set to hold talks with Norwich City over a season long-loan move. Sources close to the player say Rhodes has travelled to Carrow Road to discuss personal terms. A stumbling block initially in a potential deal was the £3m loan fee Wednesday wanted for Rhodes. But The Star understands the Owls have since considerably dropped their valuation.

However, Wednesday expect Norwich to subsidise a big proportion of Rhodes'' wages.

The forward is one of the Owls'' top earners.The 28-year-old has been on Norwich''s radar for some time, with the Canaries desperate to increase their attacking firepower after selling Josh Murphy and James Maddison to Cardiff City and Leicester City respectively this summer.

Rhodes has been a major disappointment since arriving at Hillsborough in February 2017. The Scotland international, a club-record £8m acquisition from Middlesbrough, has struggled to hold down a regular starting spot and justify his hefty price tag.

He made 17 Championship starts and 14 substitute appearances last season. Rhodes notched five league goals as Wednesday finished in the bottom half of the table.

It''s still a meh from me.

Five goals in 17 starts, ignoring the subs appearances. That would give us roughly 15 goals from him. Still not sure about this, we’ll never really know how much we’re paying loan fee/ wages

Well we''ve just managed to shift Naismith, so there''s a gap in the squad for an overpaid Scottish international that doesn''t contribute anything.

I do not think that anybody can be certain that such a move would come off.

Rhodes could be the latest in growing line of failed NCFC strikers.

HHis goal scoring record has been consistently notable over the years ... a veritable Mr. Goals wherever he has been (but not of late it seems) and his transfer money would suggest that his current demise at Wednesday could be a club/player clash as much as anything.

I like mostly the intent from the club in recognising the problems of last season by seeking an out and out ''sniffer.''

However he could come off big time, but if his failings do continue it won''t be an absolute disaster in relative (financial) terms if he is just a loan.

In any event this could be a bold move for a club supposedly living on the poverty line forevermore.

Rhodes is one of those players that''s great if the rest of the team are performing but pretty useless if not. He (along with Pukki) is the type of striker I thought might do well with how Farke wants to play.
It''s a risk but I''d definitely rather we had a striker that''s scored loads of Champs goals in the past than one that hasn''t. Also he''s probably only going to end up earning the money we''ve been paying Nelson anyway.

I''m warming to the idea.

He is experienced and knows where the goal is (or at least did!).

Also, and this fits in with our template, he should have a point to prove. Now regarded as a flop at Wednesday this will be his last chance to prove he still has it and earn himself one more decent move (either permanent to us OR, on the back of a good season, the Premiership - in the dream world us in the premiership!!).

Also good to see local paper talk of getting rid of £3m fee and covering only part of his wages.

Overall, looks like it could be a deal with minimum risk that could end up being brilliant.

This will be a bad move on 3 fronts:

1. The boy is too financially comfortable and lacks the desire of a top professional footballer.

2. Farke''s tactics mean that he will get no chances to score as the ball will never arrive in the box.

3. His colour is blue.

Would surprise me if this happened, but there we go, im just a fan. Would almost border on the "over indulgent" to have 4 strikers here, with a 5th, Morris, on a fairly lengthy come back  to fitness, compared to recent times.  May of course mean DF has plans up his sleeve to accomodate more than 1 striker on the pitch more often this coming season, or may mean an Olly move is indeed in the works in the near future.
Whatever happens, to have Rhodes join for the season is exciting in my view, not necessarily about what he may do, but in general terms of the whole squad, enough have left and enough have joined to give that feel as last season...a fresh looking squad with us fans not having a clue how things will pan out in the coming months. But for me, more important is Farke is into his 2nd season here, considering his newness to English and Championship football in his 1st season, along with the massive player overhaul, thought he did well enough for all fans to warrant him our support, not just for some 10 games, but the whole season.
So if Jordan Rhodes is coming to the Carra, then embrace it, bring it on.

Really not a fan of Rhodes at all - he''s exactly the opposite of the kind of player Farke has been trying to bring to the club (Young, hungry, bags of potential)

Rhodes has had three genuinely good seasons out of an 11-year career, the last of which was now 5 seasons ago. The rest he''s been no better than Oliveira etc.

He clearly has either difficulty settling, attitude issues or both.

He''s on wages which far exceed his ability

He doesn''t really have much sell-on value as he''s ''tainted'' now by his failures in the Premiership in the past - no bigger clubs will take a risk on signing him even if he does somehow play well.

He would command a loan fee high enough to buy at least one if not two better players outright

He would be an awful signing that doesn''t remotely fit with the clubs new ethos and I have difficulty believing this one is anything more than paper talk.

Has scored loads in this division unlike our current strikers. Yes from me but I reckon it will not happen as we will not pay the going rate.

We should take the positive out of this potential move. Perhaps, it signals not only the end of the fire sale but also the ambition to not meekly concede our tier two status. Who knows if Rhodes scores the odd goal or two we may even survive for a third season in the championship.

Not happening, according to the Sheffield Star this morning. We’re not prepared to pay a big enough proportion of his wages. Fair enough, it would be a gamble and there’s only so high we should go before deciding the money would be better spent elsewhere.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Not happening, according to the Sheffield Star this morning. We’re not prepared to pay a big enough proportion of his wages. Fair enough, it would be a gamble and there’s only so high we should go before deciding the money would be better spent elsewhere.[/quote]

I''m breathing a sigh of relief personally. Not saying Rhodes isn''t a good player in the right team but this seams as poor a fit as we could have found. He has only ever scored goals alongside a target man, his best work is all in the box, somewhere we have been badly lacking in the chances we create. He also did well at Blackburn when they were very direct, we are the total opposite of direct. If he was cheap I might have been convinced the gamble was worth taking, but by all accounts he sounds very costly.

Would have been a gamble.

Still would like to shift NO and use money to invest in Marriott, who''s young, has potential and a big sell on fee, so would be worth using some of that money to get a proven goalscorer

I guess it shows that we''re being well managed financially. No point taking an expensive gamble when there''s a large portion of the window still to go and there''ll be plenty of other options to look at.

On the flip side we might be letting them sweat it out a bit before matching our expectations rather than the other way around

Rhodes to Norwich has had more twists and tales over the years than an EastEnders script. Just wish someone somewhere can finally put this saga to bed, one way or the other.
I would be ok to see the club go with Pukki, Srbeny and Olly, if bad form and / or injuries blight those strikers, give young Idah a go. Second half of season hopefully Morris may be in the frame to.

I cannot believe you would go with NO and Srbeny ,one should never wear the shirt again and the other is not fit to wear the shirt. The attitude and application to the cause is questionable to say the least in the case of NO and as for Srbeny totally laughable that some think he is up to the job.

NO has a bad attitude imo so needs a fresh start.

Think it''s harsh to write off Srebny. Most players take some time to adjust and think he''s still going to improve. How much is still to be seen, but a good shout as a back up striker