Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Jordan Rhodes

I’d be happy with that this. Expect Nelson to definitely move on though.

Yep... proven striker at this level, had a couple of tough years but get his confidence back... 20 goal a season man.

Completely ''meh'' about this signing but we''ll see I guess.

Big questions for me though if he signs on loan and that is the business done.

The rumours for this one kept coming back, so always felt it was likely.

Will be interesting to see if Nelson does leave if a third striker is brought in. Pukki can play in wide positions so is versatile.

I doubt we will see ‘business done’ until after the transfer window shuts and some loanees are brought in. Wilson still seems a strong possibility.

People will say Rhodes doesn’t fit Norwich’s style. But Ducksch isn’t much more than a poacher, so Norwich were obviously chasing that kind of striker.

Need to move a few people out still in my view.

@Bethnal

My questions will be more around the finances.

As far as I can tell we''ve sold about £50m worth of players yet according to reports we''ve not spent over £2m on a player and I''d be surprised if our outgoings are north of £10m.

I just cannot get my head around this as he certainly does not appear to be hungry as he CV shows him to be a journeyman and his wages must plummet to join us with our new wage structure being central to the way forward  not forgetting of course the alleged stupid loan fee.

I''m excited to see if we can get him firing, definitely has a knack of popping up at the right place in the box. People who want experienced champ quality rather than unknowns shouldn''t moan at this, he may have had a dry spell but there''s a decent poacher in there...

Have to say that I''ve never been a fan and am not really convinced, but if he signs I hope to be proven wrong. I''m a bit confused by the fact that he is supposed to be coming down to discuss "personal terms" - I thought that this would be part of the loan agreement?

Transfer windows are very hard to judge in the midst g them.

For me the only real areas of the squad I have a question mark over are striker and left back (I’m not sure Lewis is good enough to be first choice in that position for a whole season and Husband and Stipermann don’t fill me with confidence there).

The Rhodes thing could be moving forward as Norwich as Naismith is about to confirm his Hearts move and the saving in wages may then go into Rhodes - or there might have been some movement with Nelson. Birmingham were pushing really hard for Grabban, but it seems he is off to Forest, maybe Brum will look at Nelson instead.

I wouldn’t want striker options to be Pukki and Rhodes so hope when/if Nelson moves a large chunk of cash can be used for a striker. Hugill is available and proven at this level for example.

All a waiting game, and with the loan window extending beyond the permanent one again, it is even harder to read what will happen in the next 5+ weeks.

Imo its Naismith in reverse owls desperate to get rid. If anyone wanted to buy they would have in both cases. My guess is their signing fee like Naismith is down the pan and forget a loan fee despite the hype. I suspect owls will pay half his wages the alternative is he stays there doesn''t play and they pay the lot. As for the player again like Naismith he needs a fresh start

Yorkshire Canary wrote the following post at 06/07/2018 10:06 AM:

“Imo its Naismith in reverse owls desperate to get rid.”

Not a pleasant thought on such a lovely morning Yorkshire.

It seems pretty much as Yorkshire says; Both are decent players who have lost their ''mojo'' where they are and have become a bit of a burden - a fresh start is needed. If we can get Rhodes to show his form of old we''d get a very good striker.

It all comes down to whether Rhodes has lost his mojo (unhappy Owls fans suggest he has) or whether he has has lost his ability. I suspect it is the latter, but I have nailed my colours to the mast in previous windows in opposition to his lost abilities.

If he can be re-motivated and we want a poacher type striker this could work.

However I would be interested in the younger and more recently performing Jordan Hugill as it looks highly unlikely he will feature at the hammers this season.

I think every third post on this thread will end up someone saying “no, it won’t cost £3m”.

As for personal terms - player bonuses don’t get carried over in loan deals so Rhodes and his agent will discuss performance related payments with Norwich seperately.

He will also be coming to meet the manager and talk about where his role would be in the team and all that kind of thing.

If there is an option to buy, or a clauses stating Norwich must sign the player for a fixed price based on appearances or promotion then Rhodes will need to discuss the terms of any future contract with Norwich also.

Personal terms would be any signing on fee, appearance money, bonus etc
Presume he still has family ''over the border'' so that might sway things
It would at least fit in with the current model of recruiting players who have lost form etc and getting them back to their best
however, at this stage we will have to see
though if it happens it will be a major blow to the farmhands who had us down as having an annual ''shortfall'' of £20m and so would not be able to spend at all

Rhodes or his family aren’t from Ipswich. His dad worked as a coach there and the family moved down when Jordan was 15 years old. The dad was sacked 3 years later but Jordan remained - doubt he has any family there.

When Jordan was 5 his dad was on loan to Norwich for half a season but never played.

It''s worth noting that Pukki can play as an attacking wide man, predominantly on the left side too. So possibly a replacement for Murphy rather than Oliveira.

Either way it''s healthy to have decent competition. If Oliveira does depart that means we will have Rhodes, Pukki and Srbeny as our main choices if we continue to play one up top. It certainly looks like Oliveira is being pushed out the club if this does come off.

Savvy home grown signing i think. Better a loan and then either way it works best for us. If he turns out good, i hope we have a fee agreed and if he is a flop we get to send him back for nothing and hopefully morris or idah is ready to step up then or we have longer to look for a permanent striker

I hope SW & DF are not ''just'' meeting Rhodes for a chat about a potential loan; we need to dig deep & unearth what he really thinks about working as Centre Forward for Norwich City. It''s a fabulous job - and Rhodes was once a fabulous finisher - it could be a match made in heaven, or a complete disaster.

Tricky one to gauge; I really like him as a player however he comes across as detached & a bit morose.

Having said that, most strikers would be relish the prospect of being well-fed by a creative midfield & even Rhodes might be getting mildly excited by what we already have in place...

Too much is made of the "lone striker" tag.   If the rest of the team are functioning properly, then one of the midfielders should be getting into attacking positions to support whoever is up front.   On of the reasons we struggled last season for goals was the profligacy of Murphy and Oliveira  in wasting so many good positions. 
Replace those two with Pukki in a wider position and Rhodes - or Srbeny - up front and you should guarantee more chances and goals.