[quote user="lake district canary"]
Ok. So a club history record breaking run of clean sheets proves no capability to defend.  I see.
[/quote]
Our longest run of clean sheets last season was five games which included two 0-0 draws at home ! A record breaking run of clean sheets i believe you said Lakey.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 08/07/2018 10:27 PM:

Ok. So a club history record breaking run of clean sheets proves no capability to defend. I see.

No. Looking at the picture across the whole season as opposed to cherry picking a select few games does

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]
Ok. So a club history record breaking run of clean sheets proves no capability to defend.  I see.
[/quote]
Our longest run of clean sheets last season was five games which included two 0-0 draws at home ! A record breaking run of clean sheets i believe you said Lakey.
[/quote]
Five. I stand corrected, I couldn''t remember - but it was a club record, nevertheless. I get that we had a mixed season defensively, but some of those big scores against away from home were the result of experimenting with an attacking formation which didn''t work and at one point we were very short of players due to injuries, which didn''t help.  Also Trybull and Tettey being available for selection were important for us defensively and not often available.  This season we could have Godfrey as an option there too - an improvement on the situation from last season.  Passlack is an upgrade and Marshall an option at right back too. 

the defence does need to be tighter - we need to be conceding at least 10 less goals across the season.

As importantly we need to score at least 15 more goals to give ourselves the chance to be competitive.

People use Iwan as a benchmark for taking a season to come good, another good example if Thierry Henry, if he takes a season to adapt (and like us with Iwan, manay gooners didnt want Henry back for the second season) then Srbeny deserves a little while longer before cast to the scrap heap. That doesnt mean I will be wanting him to start but he could surprise us all with some continual improvement, as Vrancic gave us last season.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Five. I stand corrected, I couldn''t remember - but it was a club record, nevertheless. I get that we had a mixed season defensively, but some of those big scores against away from home were the result of experimenting with an attacking formation which didn''t work and at one point we were very short of players due to injuries, which didn''t help.  Also Trybull and Tettey being available for selection were important for us defensively and not often available.  This season we could have Godfrey as an option there too - an improvement on the situation from last season.  Passlack is an upgrade and Marshall an option at right back too. 
[/quote]
You are living in a complete fantasy world of incorrect facts, lame excuses, pure speculation and blind faith.

There is an ongoing theme for people who''ve never seen certain players kick a ball declare someone an ''upgrade'' or ''useless'' based on zero information.

Passlack may be an upgrade or he may struggle in English football- it happens. Same with all of our new signings.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
You are living in a complete fantasy world of incorrect facts, lame excuses, pure speculation and blind faith.
[/quote]
I''d rather live a fantasy world than be a sad cynic who can never see any good in anything - but for the record, the defence did put together a club record of consecutive clean sheets, there were significant injuries to Tettey and Trybull as well as others, there were experiments with formations and team selections, we do have upgrades in Passlack and Marshall - and Godfrey will feature this season unles he goes out on loan agin (which is unlikely).  So if you could explain where the fantasy is, where the incorrect facts are, the lame excuses are and the speculation is, I''d be fascinated to know. 

Good grief Lakey you are making this up as you go along. Cherry picking the odd games where we did not concede instead of looking at the big picture, no goals conceded at home to the mighty Burton and Bolton helps your train of thought along but conceding a shed load at Millwall, Villa, Hull and Sheff Wed adds some balance don''t you think.
As for bigging up Passlack, Godfrey and Marshall let''s just see them in the team shall we before deciding if they are upgrades as you put it.

If you''re going to cherry pick a 5 game run that shows our defence can be ''the meanest in the league'' then others would perfectly entitled to pick say the 5 game streak from Hull to QPR in which we conceded 13 goals.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]
Good grief Lakey you are making this up as you go along. Cherry picking the odd games where we did not concede instead of looking at the big picture, no goals conceded at home to the mighty Burton and Bolton helps your train of thought along but conceding a shed load at Millwall, Villa, Hull and Sheff Wed adds some balance don''t you think.
[/quote]
It was a mixed up season right enough, but you want to cherry pick too it seems -
So -
Away to Villa and Millwall - early in the season, manager still learning about certain players.  Lesson was learned, we never saw Martin again, Franke was shipped out, Husband replaced by Stiepermann at LB, resulting in a five match clean sheet run just after. Quite a positive part of the season.    The Hull match was just bizzarre with ridiculous penalty decision giving Hull hope after we were 3-1 up. The Sheffield Wed game was just disappointing, reverting to a back four, something that over the season wasn''t great for us, but something Farke plainly wants to be able to to do.   Maybe the Passlack upgrade (which he is imo) will enable us to have a more effective back four if that is needed.
A mixed up season, not good enough overall, but in amongst it all, there were positive signs......if you wanted to see them. 

Everyone is sad and the world is ending... DOOM, DOOM, DOOOOOOOM!Except we''re not and it isn''t.Come on miserablists! England are in a WORLD CUP SEMI FINAL for goodness sake. Perhaps take a screen break.

No cherry picking here, a full season of facts.
1. We let in 60 goals in 46 games & only 9 out of 24 clubs let in more than us.
2. At the same time we scored a paltry 49 goals, only 5 clubs scored less and even Sunderland, who were relegated, scored more than us.
3. Of those 49 goals we did score, 26 were scored by players who won''t be here next season and most of them have not been replaced with what I would describe as "upgrades".

Franke was shipped out and Husband was replaced by Stiepermann you say Lakey so just remind me who signed those players and bombed them out after a handful of games.

A system like ours only works well if you score goals. We were far from efficient in front of goal last season and in fact our final finishing position is pretty good considering we conceded more than most teams, and scored far less than most teams. Hopefully another transfer window of signing players that suit the system will mean next season is different.

I hope so, but will have to wait and see...

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Franke was shipped out and Husband was replaced by Stiepermann you say Lakey so just remind me who signed those players and bombed them out after a handful of games.
[/quote]
So you''d rather focus on the fact that signings were made that didn''t work out rather than give credit for the changes that were made to rectify the situation?  No one is perfect and signings do not all work out.  Martin was also dropped at the same time and part of that complete change. 
People were given their chance and when it didn''t work the head coach changed it - I would call that good management.

You call it good management but i call it poor recruitment Lakey as both those players cost us a fee which in both cases although undisclosed were reported to be in excess of £1 million and given 3 year contracts.

Canaryking,

It would be interesting to garner the opinion of the players, especially if these injuries have been picked up whist training and by that I mean non physical contact training, there will always be the risk of an injury or two during practice matches, etc.

Fatigued players are more likely to pick up a contact injury than non-fatigued players. So over training will result in increased levels of both types of injuries.

Farke does work the players hard in pre-season and muscle injuries are to be expected. If they are keeping players out for a week or two it isn’t the end of the world though. I hope he and his sports science team have learnt some lessons from last season where it was clear players were being overworked and injuries were high as a result. People will say clubs are ‘lucky’ or’unlucky’ with injuries, but these things can be managed to reduce to potential impacts.

The same thing happened to both Wagner and Klopp when they first started coaching in England - although both adapted and injuries reduced.

Can we please stop this rubbish about not signing an “upgrade” to Maddison or Murphy? How the chuffing **** could we sign someone on the face of it better than a £11/£22 million player?

If you have a sensible point to make, fair enough. But posting rubbish like that is just blinkered miserabilism.

?? No one has said anything on this thread about upgrades to Maddison/Murphy. I think we can do better next season from the left, but my only reference to upgrades were Marshall and Passlack, both of whom will be on the right as RB or WB.

Every club in every pre season pick up a few niggles and injuries, has always been the case and is to be expected.
Defence wise last season, yes the total was 60 let in, but oh so spoilt by just the 3 games, Millwall, Hull and Wednesday. Outside of those 3 games it was 47 conceded in 43 games.
49 scored, yes, no doubts, marked improvement needed here.

[quote user="Essjayess"]
Every club in every pre season pick up a few niggles and injuries, has always been the case and is to be expected.
Defence wise last season, yes the total was 60 let in, but oh so spoilt by just the 3 games, Millwall, Hull and Wednesday. Outside of those 3 games it was 47 conceded in 43 games.
49 scored, yes, no doubts, marked improvement needed here.
[/quote]
Conceded 4 away at Villa as well.

I guess this season is all about the balance of the team and how Farke makes this far more interesting and positive than last year. Happy with Marshall and Rhodes as proven at this level, just hope the other lads are more Trybull (without the injuries) and less Franke / Srybeny