Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

World Cup Thread

From the Guardian:

More than 200,000 people have signed a petition demanding the match be replayed. The petition, which was started two days ago, argues England were awarded their second-half penalty for “a non-existent foul” and that Carlos Bacca’s extra-time effort should have been allowed to stand.

Bacca put the ball in the net after Geiger halted proceedings with Harry Maguire distracted by a second ball that would have come on the pitch had the assistant not stopped it.

The petition calls for Fifa “to review these two actions, in order to set a precedent for fair play”.

Letter of the law states that the goal probably should have stood (or at least play should not have not have been blown dead and the player would have had a good chance). The other ball never entered the field of play, and the ref can''t stop play due to a player being distracted - that would set a ludicrous precedent.
I think common sense on this occasion probably dictates that it wasn''t a goal though, in the same way we weren''t awarded a goal when we received the ball from the throw in and instead of returning it to the keeper, we put it into the empty net. Forget which player it was who did it - might have been against cardiff or someone? Letter of the law was the goal should have stand, however common sense says it was dubious at best.

oh dear,
one was advisory* the other was not
have a check on how VAR works
the referee looks at the footage then he decides
much as Parliament decides, as it''s doing at the moment
*having or consisting in the power to make recommendations but not to take action enforcing them.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]^ Except, unlike the actual EU referendum, the shoot-out result wasn’t advisory.

So, the premise of the meme is a barefaced fabrication, that would entertain only deceitful fanatics, the terminally dim-witted, or the well-meaning but sadly misled.

All in all, a fitting parable for the Exitable ones[/quote]
Thank goodness there''s still people like yourself to remind me that I actually haven''t lost my sense of humour.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]
If the Brexiteers were running the England team they would still be trying to name the starting eleven for the Tunisia game. [:D]
[/quote]
If Remaniacs were running things there wouldn''t be a team called England.
And you''d go along with that wouldn''t you? You loathsome piece of excrement.

Hi KIO. You are right in that I know nothing about you or your family. Really very unacceptable that your family should suffer racism and any decent person does not condone it. Perhaps it contributes to your apparent lukewarmness in embracing the English team''s fortunes?

Good shout ec-p, it was indeed Leroy https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/norwich-city/10407634/Leroy-Fer-adamant-controversial-goal-should-have-stood-as-Norwich-City-are-held-by-fellow-strugglers-Cardiff-City.html

Re: The Colombians petition - Harry Kane had enough contact to join the #metoo campaign for our penalty so I have no idea what they are on about...

As for the goal from the throw-in, it was contentious as had that been us I wouldn''t have been very happy but the ref made a decision and the refs decision is final. They scored after he''d blown for the throw to be retaken so they can''t really complain of injustice. Equally their player could have been booked for kicking the ball away...

Maradona, obviously on a come down after a few snorts has now said that he was a bit out of order to say our win was daylight robbery. Maybe his Colombian supplier has been executed.

Strange world. Apart from being a brilliant footballer, the guy is a piece of faeces. But people still hang on his every word.

[quote user="stewfil"]Hi KIO. You are right in that I know nothing about you or your family. Really very unacceptable that your family should suffer racism and any decent person does not condone it. Perhaps it contributes to your apparent lukewarmness in embracing the English team''s fortunes?[/quote]
Been answered in response to someone else on the previous page mate.
Back on topic - Muslera has had a shocker there. What was he doing?!

There was a slight bit of sideways movement of the ball, but still, should have got that. Poor

He well by Griezzman but being so central the keeper has made an absolute fluff of that. In this era you expect a bit of movement on the ball, he completely misjudged that to the point he was moving away from the ball! Very poor keeping at times this tournament.

Not as poor as yet another crap display by a referee though...

Hoping for a Belgium win here. Think we will cope better against European opposition and players that we know from the PL

Google translate doesn''t do Flemish so good luck and bonne chance Belgium.

[quote user="Herman"]Sod off Neymar[:D][/quote]
Aye. Fantastic talent but absolute tit. Dived 3 times tonight without getting booked.
Can you imagine if anyone had said 2 years ago that the last 6 in the world cup would all be European.... but Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Holland wouldn''t be amongst them? What a crazy tournament this has been.

There is nothing I''ve seen of him that warrants the attention he gets. Whiny, petulant and not team player. Hazard was the opposite. Fantastic display and Belgium were a highly disciplined, effective unit. Best I''ve seen of Lukaku for a while as well. They tired a lot second half, so hopefully this is something England can exploit[;)]

Belgium look the best team at the tournament by some distance to me but they are very attack minded so you do get chances.

They are favourites but any of the other five teams is in with a chance. Very exciting.

One for Len.
[url]https://twitter.com/i/status/1014485179639922688[/url]

Belgium vs France will be one tasty semi-final that''s for sure. The winner of that one must be favourites for sure. We just need to do our bit and get past Sweden first, then we can start looking to the next game.

[quote user="Mr Benn"]
ABBA, IKEA, SAAB, Nobel, Swedish chef, Volvo your boys are in for a beating..............
[/quote]
it is now !

Oh my word. We''ve won a penalty shoot out and we''ve beaten Sweden for the first time since God knows when. Hoodoos being broken.

[quote user="Herman"]I''m not overly positive about England''s chances, which after going into the last few tournaments with high hopes, is probably not a bad idea.[/quote]
It seemed to have worked. Low expectations=better results[Y]
Well done England, fully deserved.

We won again !  We''d be dangerous if we played as we can !
Slack and slow passing again, and when we go forward down the wing we need to cross at the earliest opportunity now pass a back and forth then cross it.

Now it is anyones.

And we are not just leaving it to one man to score.

Second favourites behind France I expect.

The further we go in this tournament, the greater the disappointment will be.
Getting your hopes up just to dash them. It''s classic England.

The further we go in this tournament, the greater the disappointment will be.

Of course it will be if we lose. But being positive each game and rejoicing with what has happened so far is what football is about at the moment.

So Saudi Arabia are still partying using your theory.