Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

World Cup Thread

p.s. There''s more chance of Cristiano Ronaldo turning out for us next season than England winning the World Cup

England are currently 5/1 to win the tournament. Strangely I couldn’t find odds on us signing Ronaldo for comparison....

I’ve seen nothing from Croatia tonight that we should worry about. Get past Columbia and we’ve a massive chance

[quote user="JF"]p.s. There''s more chance of Cristiano Ronaldo turning out for us next season than England winning the World Cup

England are currently 5/1 to win the tournament. Strangely I couldn’t find odds on us signing Ronaldo for comparison....[/quote]
That''s because, despite previous experience, people loose their minds as soon as England make it through to the knock out stages of a tournament and start throwing their money at the bookmakers, hence the low odds. However no one is stupid enough to put money on City signing Ronaldo, that''s why you can''t find any odds.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]
Not sure if I last saw Spain two years ago or four, but that team is like a parody of when it was good. It does raise the awful prospect, even more dreadful than Brexit, and that is saying something, that England could reach a World Cup final. It will be like 1953 all over again, with the Coronation, England winning back The Ashes, and a New Zealander and a Nepalese climbing Everest...
[/quote]
And the moon could be made of cheese.
[/quote]
All sorts of things can happen, but I would have thought - this is the view of a neutral - that England have a decent chance, given the teams they might play to get to the final. In broad terms England get knocked out of major competitions as soon as they meet either a team that is simply better at clever football (a Latin-type team) or a team that plays like England but is just better at doing that (in other words, Germany).
The way the draw and the results have worked out there is not at first glance such a team in the bottom half of the draw to stop them. That is not to say they will get that far - then to lose, of course - but there is not the usual obvious obstacle.

That''s because, despite previous experience, people loose their minds as soon as England make it through to the knock out stages of a tournament and start throwing their money at the bookmakers, hence the low odds. However no one is stupid enough to put money on City signing Ronaldo, that''s why you can''t find any odds.

Er no. It’s because all that stands between England and the final now is Columbia, one of Sweden and Switzerland and one of Croatia and Russia. We may or may not get through but goals win matches and with a player like Kane you’ve always got a chance

[quote user="JF"]That''s because, despite previous experience, people loose their minds as soon as England make it through to the knock out stages of a tournament and start throwing their money at the bookmakers, hence the low odds. However no one is stupid enough to put money on City signing Ronaldo, that''s why you can''t find any odds.

Er no. It’s because all that stands between England and the final now is Columbia, one of Sweden and Switzerland and one of Croatia and Russia. We may or may not get through but goals win matches and with a player like Kane you’ve always got a chance[/quote]
And each of those countries will be thinking "all that stands between us and the final is the other four countries in the draw and England, and England always choke at some point". No one would have ever been more pleased to be wrong if England win the whole thing, but years of experience watching them has taught me that the most likely scenario is that at some point England are going to blow it, and it will probably be on penalties.

As a much vaunted outfit, Belgium haven''t impressed tonight.

I don''t fancy their chances against a speedier Brazil side. Their three at the back are wide apart at times and William, Neymar can exploit that.

Feel for Japan there. Naive to push so many forward at that stage for the corner but you have to admire their heart and belief that they could win it

This is wonderful:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/03/japan-steal-world-cup-hearts-dignified-response-cruel-exit/

Despite suffering the heartbreak of such a cruel defeat, Japan players took the time to clean their dressing-room, leaving the Rostov changing area in immaculate condition.

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri

Amazing from Japan.

This is how they left the changing room after losing v Belgium: cleaned it all.

And in the middle, have left a message to Russia:

They even left a small note reading "Thank you" in Russian on a table in the middle of the room.

From the coach:

"(At the end) I was questioning myself, whether I had control of the game. We were 2-0 up, and still the score was reversed. It wasn''t the players. Maybe it was me who lost control of the game. When the (Belgium''s third) goal was conceded, I blamed myself, and I questioned my tactics."

[quote user="ron obvious"]This is wonderful:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/03/japan-steal-world-cup-hearts-dignified-response-cruel-exit/

Despite suffering the heartbreak of such a cruel defeat, Japan players took the time to clean their dressing-room, leaving the Rostov changing area in immaculate condition.

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri

Amazing from Japan.

This is how they left the changing room after losing v Belgium: cleaned it all.

And in the middle, have left a message to Russia:

They even left a small note reading "Thank you" in Russian on a table in the middle of the room.

From the coach:

"(At the end) I was questioning myself, whether I had control of the game. We were 2-0 up, and still the score was reversed. It wasn''t the players. Maybe it was me who lost control of the game. When the (Belgium''s third) goal was conceded, I blamed myself, and I questioned my tactics."[/quote]
They have probably been reading your heartfelt advice on  morals and civility, ron although perhaps not the later contribution on another thread when you went rogue and used a very rude word to describe a fellow poster...[:O]

Sweden awaits. And then Russia or Croatia.

Surely Gareth doesn''t have to convince them them that they are good enough to go all the way.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Colombia will be tough opponents and Sweden tougher still if we get through.[/quote]
Tough opponents, don''t know what you''re on about. Might as well end the tournament and give Kane the trophy now. No need to play anymore games, with our easy draw there''s no chance of them b*llsing it up, England are obviously gonna win it, ain''t that right JF?

Never said we’re going to win it didI? I said we will never have a better chance again. You’re coming across as quite sad in your desire for England to be knocked out to say I told you so. Pretty pathetic really. Columbia will be tough as will Sweden then one of Russia or Croatia as well. but to get to the World Cup final that really is as ‘easy’ as it’s ever going to be. Hope you Enjoy cheering on Columbia tonight 👍

Never said we’re going to win it didI? I said we will never have a better chance again. You’re coming across as quite sad in your desire for England to be knocked out to say I told you so. Pretty pathetic really. Columbia will be tough as will Sweden then one of Russia or Croatia as well. but to get to the World Cup final that really is as ‘easy’ as it’s ever going to be. Hope you Enjoy cheering on Columbia tonight

I''d take their passports away.

For goodness sake, can''t we be positive and then if it goes tits up then you can say I told you so.

So if we win it, and it is a big if, you won''t bask in any of the celebrations.

keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 03/07/2018 6:31 PM:

Never said we’re going to win it didI? I said we will never have a better chance again. You’re coming across as quite sad in your desire for England to be knocked out to say I told you so. Pretty pathetic really. Columbia will be tough as will Sweden then one of Russia or Croatia as well. but to get to the World Cup final that really is as ‘easy’ as it’s ever going to be. Hope you Enjoy cheering on Columbia tonight

For goodness sake, can''t we be positive and then if it goes tits up then you can say I told you so.

So if we win it, and it is a big if, you won''t bask in any of the celebrations.

Yep. Nearly kick off and I can’t remember being this enthusiastic about an England game for years. Weather we make it or not this World Cup has been the most enjoyable I can remember. Still according to some there is more chance of Ronaldo playing for us next season than us winning it! I’m not sure where the club are getting the £400 million to make that happen....

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Never said we’re going to win it didI? I said we will never have a better chance again. You’re coming across as quite sad in your desire for England to be knocked out to say I told you so. Pretty pathetic really. Columbia will be tough as will Sweden then one of Russia or Croatia as well. but to get to the World Cup final that really is as ‘easy’ as it’s ever going to be. Hope you Enjoy cheering on Columbia tonight

So if we win it, and it is a big if, you won''t bask in any of the celebrations.[/quote]
I will be more than pleased as punch if England win the World Cup KG, leading the celebaration in fact. But, my enthusiasm is tempered by 40 years of experience which has taught me one thing, they''ll blow it at some point. For instance, the last knockout game we played we lost to the footballing powerhouse that is Iceland.

So far Raheem Sterling showing why he should be relegated to a substitute as soon as England find someone who has some close control over a ball... let''s hope he improves for the team''s sake.

Raheem Sterling is not only a professional footballer, he is a professional footballer who plays for the premier league champions and is currently playing for his country on the biggest stage of them all. How has this happened? Genuine question.

weak refereeing
if you stand in front of a free kick intending to stop the kick
you don''t move back behind the ''marked'' ten yard line
booked
keep farking about, then off