Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

World Cup Thread

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I see Belgium have rested 9 players and we''ve rested 8.

Could be very interesting.

I think playing not to win, normally backfires, but we''ll see.[/quote]
Annoying to think either side might play not to win.  The only mentality going into any match should be a winning mentality - messing about with that only risks the momentum of the team for the next game. 

Meh, felt like a friendly kick about. Not too bothered about the result but I would have liked Vardy et al to have given Southgate something to think about.

[quote user="kick it off"]What an absolute fooking plank.
Got a "world cup winners 2018" tattoo because England beat Panama. Panama who are ranked lower than Burkina Faso. Panama. Fooking Panama. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
[/quote]
"God said to Noah,
you built it and they will come
"same scenario, slightly different
a couple of thousand years "
odd how the 17 year old Jesus never mentioned someone building an ark
perhaps that was why God was able to have his wicked way with Mary
Joseph the carpenter was away so much help building the ark

Well I think it was clear both managers would have rather finished second, it came down to one of the Belgium players showing a bit of flair in the box.  I can never remember seeing a team that was 1-0 down so reluctant to try to get the ball into the box.

Time will tell whether Southgate got it right, but he doesn''t have the benefit of hindsight and I think he''s played it cleverly.  I''m 100% sure Martinez would have preferred a 0-0 draw which would have left us top, but that''s the way it goes.

Ultimately facing Columbia in the last-16 with the winner playing Sweden or Switzerland in the QFs is as good as you''re ever going to get in the WC.  If you can''t beat them, you don''t deserve to win it.  And the other four teams that will provide the other semi-finalist on this side are all beatable.  The top half of the draw where Belgium now are looks much tougher.

It''s not an exact science and winning a knock out from the last 16 will always need a fair amount of luck, but compare it to say ''98 when I think we beat Argentina in the QF and then faced Germany in the SF.  Personally I think this is our best chance to win it for quite a while.

As I wrote after then Panama match and has not improved since, we need to pass the ball better, too many time a player not under pressure passed it straight to the opposition !  I''d also like to see the passing a darn site quicker.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Well I think it was clear both managers would have rather finished second, it came down to one of the Belgium players showing a bit of flair in the box.  I can never remember seeing a team that was 1-0 down so reluctant to try to get the ball into the box.

Time will tell whether Southgate got it right, but he doesn''t have the benefit of hindsight and I think he''s played it cleverly.  I''m 100% sure Martinez would have preferred a 0-0 draw which would have left us top, but that''s the way it goes.

Ultimately facing Columbia in the last-16 with the winner playing Sweden or Switzerland in the QFs is as good as you''re ever going to get in the WC.  If you can''t beat them, you don''t deserve to win it.  And the other four teams that will provide the other semi-finalist on this side are all beatable.  The top half of the draw where Belgium now are looks much tougher.

It''s not an exact science and winning a knock out from the last 16 will always need a fair amount of luck, but compare it to say ''98 when I think we beat Argentina in the QF and then faced Germany in the SF.  Personally I think this is our best chance to win it for quite a while.

[/quote]
You obviously didn''t watch much of City when Hughton was manager then!

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[/quote]
You obviously didn''t watch much of City when Hughton was manager then!
[/quote]
p.s. There''s more chance of Cristiano Ronaldo turning out for us next season than England winning the World Cup

One of Sweden, Switzerland, Columbia or England will be playing in the semi final. it really couldn''t have fallen more kindly.

We have won just 8 from 19 games after group stage at world cups, make thay 5 from 16 excl home advantage. The challenge is clear and obvious and the gap to the best daunting.

However we do tend to do well against the second tier sides with defeats to Germany, Brazil Argentina etc The only "weaker" nation to knock us out are portugal who we have beaten.

The columbians are probably the best before we face spain. We have had an easy qualifying group, an easy finals group and landed in the easiest half of the draw. The opportunity is there for us, time to take it.

If you are watching the France v Argentina game then you can see there''s no way England will win the World Cup. France look particularly impressive.

Fantastic second half, I would be surprised if England could raise the level of their performance to these sorts of heights.

Such negativity towards England from Crafty and Winky that if City1st was to read those posts he would accuse you both of being Jocks. [:P]

Naturally I''d love us to win the WC Tilly however we would be demolished by France''s pace and skill. Mbappe at 19 years old looks tremendous and apparently is already the second most expensive player in World football after Neymar Jr.

Mbappe is giving his entire world cup wages (approx £17k a match) to

disabled charities since he believes he need not get paid to play for

his country.

Great to see a very successfull team in the World Cup who play entertaining football. i.e. move the ball quickly, pass in to space, midfielders moving forward to support the strikers. None of this nonsense of tip tap football in your own half, slow build up allowing your opponents to easily pick you off when you eventually move in to their half. I noticed that Alan Shearer strongly criticised this type of "German football style" as boring and getting nowhere. Perhaps our German coach will take note. Of course we do not have players of the ability of the French national side but we could at least attempt to employ their tactics !!!

Not sure if I last saw Spain two years ago or four, but that team is like a parody of when it was good. It does raise the awful prospect, even more dreadful than Brexit, and that is saying something, that England could reach a World Cup final. It will be like 1953 all over again, with the Coronation, England winning back The Ashes, and a New Zealander and a Nepalese climbing Everest...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
Not sure if I last saw Spain two years ago or four, but that team is like a parody of when it was good. It does raise the awful prospect, even more dreadful than Brexit, and that is saying something, that England could reach a World Cup final. It will be like 1953 all over again, with the Coronation, England winning back The Ashes, and a New Zealander and a Nepalese climbing Everest...
[/quote]
Well Spain are out, and I wouldn''t be surprised if Colombia beat England. My dark horse would be Croatia to get to the final.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[/quote]
And the moon could be made of cheese.

Argentina and Portugal are virtually one man teams and England must make sure that they don''t become one.

Kane is now the best striker left in the competition but I expect to see him heavily marked and fouled.

We need Sterling and Ali to step up and show the world that we are a team and that we can win playing our way.

It is easy for people to sneer at our chances but we do have a real chance of the semis at least and that would be a successful tournament although sad to lose so close to the final.

Dont think Croatia are dark horses these days, theyve played some of the best football in this tournament. France vs. Croatia for me in the final.

One of Columbia, England, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark and Russia will play in the final. I can’t believe that anyone could doubt our chances of getting there now. Simply put unless we ever get to host it again we won’t get a better chance

One of France, Belgium, Croatia or England in that order of probability to win it all. Mexico to shock Brazil tomorrow. Good tournament so far...