Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

World Cup Thread

Pepe the hard man usually

Normally just a dirty cheating idiot. He likes kicking others but squeals when touched.

He couldn''t put a dent in a plate of cold soup.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Well, after today''s results, then we might be adding Mexico to the possible teams we could play in the quarter finals.[/quote]Germany v Brazil, 2nd round match maybe

We look good going forward.

Maguire and Stones look like they have been out on the lash, on a Saturday night, and have turned up for their Sunday morning team.

This is so depressing... first half we were great, this second half nobody has been prepared to run at a defender or into the box to draw a penalty... meanwhile Vardy sits on the bench.

Thanks you Harry Kean b.t.w

It''s (almost) like watching City!

Start off like a train, score. don''t take any further chances when you are well on top, let in the equaliser, keep passing backwards, play as if you are 5-0 up, no end product.

Unlike City, luckily got out of jail right at the end, unconvincing. I should think based on that performance the rest of the teams are cacking them about playing us...

I blame the midges.
Got the result, which is all that matters,but that second half was frustrating to watch. The two young lad subs helped up the urgency at the end, but we lacked a spark.

Thought we was dire.
More tippy tappy sideways and backwards than a certain team put out by Denial Freak.
Can''t believe how the pundits are talking us up.
Poor passing, no intent and lucky to win against poor opposition.

Dire?! Finishing wise, yes, football wise far from it.

Such a sad troll. Still, why don''t you type your clever anagram just one more time and people might take you seriously...

Too right Ian. Some people on here are a joke. Wonder if the new forum software will ban the obvious trolls or not.

Anyway, great for us and the young lads to get a win which was fully deserved. Could have had 3 or 4 in the opening 20 minutes. Second half Tunisia sat deeper with much smaller gaps between the lines which was always going to make it difficult. Pleased they kept trying to play football though and got rewarded for it. Especially when some fans, particularly the anti Farke ones on here would have been screaming for us to ''get it in the mixer and equally complain when it inevitably gives possession back to the opposition..

Thought it was a decent performance. Should have scored three in the first five minutes - let’s put it down to nerves/lack of match sharpness.

We don’t move well enough off the ball to rely on the passing style - we look far more threatening with the high press counter style. But you can’t keep that up all game, especially in high heat. In the quieter times, I would like to see us move the ball forward slightly quicker, but it’s picking the right times to do it. For instance, Young lost the ball a couple of times trying to play it forward when a simple sideways pass was on - that can cost you against Brazil or someone like that. But then he also set up a couple of our more threatening moments with similar early balls to Rashford down the line later on which came off. Those choices are largely down to the individuals on the pitch, so if it doesn’t come off we’re just not good enough. Formation and tactics wise though I thought it was a promising start.

The second half was indeed a bit like watching Norwich play. Too slow and ponderous and young, pacy players with no clue about a final pass - all a bit too familiar, but that is the way the game is being played now.

The first half though - faster, accurate passes; good running off the ball, everyone up for it. Impossible to keep it up for 90 minutes, even against a very poor but hard working Tunisian team. The two subs made a difference - hope Mr Farke was watching......

That goal should see England through, assuming 3 points from Panama.
Great to see the decent English fans on show for once, as well.

Good performance I thought. If we''d taken one or two of those first half chances we''d be talking about an utter stroll.

Tunisia were a horrible team also- so much diving, time wasting and fouling aided and abetted by a terrible ref.

A curates egg of a performance for me.

We should have been 3-4 up after a very bright opening 20 mins, where we exploited a high Tunisian back line with basic but effected balls over the top for pace to retrieve. But some frankly shocking finishing, esp from Lingard, meant that Walkers moment of madness could have cost us dear, and the composure left the side in the last 10 mins of the half.

Both managers did a good job in the interval, Southgate clearly refocused his team and we came out well, but the tunisian coach also did well to recognise the problems his high line was causing his team. By sitting deeper he effectively took both Alli and Lingard out of the game as an attacking threat, reducing us to half as many shots as we had in the first 45 mins. The second half highlighted the lack of quality to break down a deep defence and deliver a quality final ball missing.

The positives were an MOTM performance from Trippier and the quality of delivery from Young & Trippier on corners and free kicks, both goals and our best chances came from them.

The refereeing and VAR decisions were baffling, but we got the result we needed.

Finally on an unexpected :tldr post it strikes me that there are similarities between Hoolahan and Sterling; Offering something different, which doesnt always come off and when dispossessed creates a disproportionate negative response. He wasnt great, but offered a threat in the second half that we didnt get from Alli, Lingard or Rashford - and all 4 only warranted a 5/10 rating

Apart from the wayward finishing, I thought we were very good going forward.

But the defence is a concern. Maguire doesn''t look comfortable on the left of a three and we don''t have a naturally left-footed central defender. I would have like to have seen Rose in front of him for this reason.

And I''m not convinced by Walker in a three either. It''s great to have recovery pace, but the thought of him left one on one in the air with Lukaka doesn''t fill me with confidence.

I think we''ll make the quarters, but each of those defenders has a blooper in them and that''s what will cost us ultimately.

I do wonder if against a better team if Walker would be moved to right back and Cahill brought into defence.

Walker has great ability to bring the ball out of defence and effectively become an extra midfielder against teams sitting deep but when England are expecting to be under the cosh a little more he’d probably be better used as a wing back.

In Walker and Rose England had possibly the best wing back combo in the world, apart from maybe Brazil’s. So to see Walker pushed into defence is a shame when he can be so good in his natural position - not that Trippier is a bad right back.

England probably have the quickest team at the tournament, if they can use that pace effectively then they are a threat to anyone, imagine England getting then counter oppourtunities Mexico had against Germany...

With Poland beaten it will be interesting to see who now finishes top of the group England will play (if they go through0

Would have preferred Poland to either of Columbia or Senegal tbh .

Will be interesting to see how the free scoring Russians do against a decent side; tactically solid on both games so far with a couple of impressive players (Golovin & Cheryshev) but the quality of opponents may be overstating how good they are. I doubt that Dzyuba will be as impressive against the likes of Godin for example (although I expect the latter to be rested for the final game). What is clear is the lowly Russian ranking due to a lack of competitive games is a fallacy.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Pepe the hard man usually

Normally just a dirty cheating idiot. He likes kicking others but squeals when touched.

He couldn''t put a dent in a plate of cold soup.[/quote]
He''s done it again. How embarrasing[:D]
[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44553190[/url]

Doesn''t the twt realise that there are hundreds of millions around the world watching ?

Khomeini Iranian supporters are at the game tonight?

C''mon Peru! Don''t see how they can do it, but they were good against Denmark who got lucky.