Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

World Cup Thread

I wanted to put this link out there, about one of the World Cup stadiums (and specifically the height of the temporary stands!),

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5782369/Temporary-stand-Ekaterinburg-Arena-completed-World-Cup.html

so thought I would put it into a thread relating to the WC, and if anyone wants to put anything attached to the World Cup, then type away. If not, I''ll change the thread title to the Ekaterinburg Arena Temporary Stands!

I''m not overly positive about England''s chances, which after going into the last few tournaments with high hopes, is probably not a bad idea.

I''m off on holiday, right in the middle of the Tournament, and I have the minimal desire to try and find a Tele box, to watch games.

As has been the case with most tournaments lately, I think England will struggle to get out of the group. And if we do make it, we won''t make it much further.

We have a decent enough base but nothing about us to suggest we''re good enough to go places.

That''s the problem with all these friendlies and qualifying these days - the gulf in quality between sides in qualifying and sides at the tournament is massive so it doesn''t really prepare England for tournaments.

Englands draw is about as favourable as any but as we face better teams our lack of quality will count - which is sketchy at the back, weak in CDM, too much resting on shoulders of Sterling to give Kane the type of service he needs to succeed.

We should make it through to the next round where it is likely to be Columbia as the winner of group H but could be Poland, Japan or Senegal . so while I dont have high hopes a place in the last 8 is plausible.

As always it will be about seeing the emerging talent especially from the smaller nations.

[quote user="Herman"]Why is the press after Sterling so much?[/quote]
Even the FT has a headline
Value of sterling has fallen

[quote user="Herman"]Why is the press after Sterling so much?[/quote]

It may be because he is the most stupid person ever to wear an England shirt. That includes the people who bought theirs from JD Sports

where have all the flags gone ?
previous tournaments saw nearly every other car with flags stuck to them
haven''t seen one so far

Generally quite positive. Don''t expect us to achieve too much but it''s nice to see us have an actual style of play embedded into the squad and a decent set of young players too.

Our central midfield is the obvious weak point.

I think that we will surprise a few and Southgate''s considered and consistent approach along with probably the most technically gifted England squad I can ever remember leads me towards optimism. Even the full backs are full of it to the extent that our own Danny Mills certainly wouldn''t get near this squad and they are a far cry from Hodgson''s first WC squad when we were reliant upon set-pieces, Peter Crouch and needed Oxtail-Chamberpot to provide the eventual spark..

I always considered Gareth Southgate nothing more than the usual FA safe stop-gap and hardly took his managerialship seriously at first.

However, his manner, conviction and thoroughness make it difficult not to warm towards him.

He also seems tactically astute and garners full respect from the players.

Furthermore there is something of the ''modern'' about his approach which means that we should be grateful that Big (T. Rex) Sam effed up.

It''s a bit trite to say we won''t get to the latter stages because anything could happen and there is usually a dark horse.

Harry Kane for Golden Boot?

I watched most of the 2nd half of last night and overall, I think we looked pretty good. As always in a friendly, the chopping and changing of multiple substitutions disrupted the flow of the game.

My main criticism, and I suspect what most of our opposition coaches will pick up on, is of John Stones. I really can''t see what makes him a £50m player. He gave the ball away three times in the 30 minutes I watched - directly to an attacker 30 yards from goal. Against better opposition, I predict we will concede goals as a direct result of him refusing to put his foot through the ball when under pressure.

Depending on how we go in our group, and if I have worked this out correctly, then it looks like it''ll be either Germany or Brazil in the QFs for us. So, if we are going to win it, then we need to beat some good teams..........

And that''s where I think we''ll become unstuck, when we have to play a ''good'' team. We''ll beat the lower ranked ones, but struggle to beat teams like Brazil or Germany

Early doors, but not impressed by either team. Long way to go and I''m sure Vlad has a few tricks to get his team to the final. Lovely looking stadium though[Y]

If we have more goals like the last two then we should be blessed with a world cup to remember.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Latest from the World Cup...

Reporter: "Mr Southgate, how far away are you from a World Class team?"

Southgate: "About 3 hotels."[/quote]
The England squad visited an orphanage in Russia this morning
"It was good to put a smile on the faces of those with no hope, who struggle while facing the impossible"
said Georgios age 7

I''m glad that Costa''s goal stood. About time we allowed play to continue, after incidents like that. We''ve seen plenty of free kicks given for that. The defender certainly got up, pretty darn quickly, once he realized the Ref was letting the play carry on.

Pepe the hard man usually. Went down too easy and deserved what he got.

The ref has been good. Letting play carry on. Although he did miss a yellow for an attempted body check.