Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Genuine question, why do a behind closed door friendly

Maybe just a late decision to play it and no time to organise it for their place or ours. Wouldn''t think it is any more than that.

I think i read somewhere that they are re-doing their pitch, same as us. Guess that would mean we couldnt play at either teams ground

Behind closed doors friendlies allow teams to mess about with the rules a bit also. They will often take breaks mid game or just stop early, also have rolling subs etc.

Having a crowd who have paid means teams feel duty bound to have a ‘proper’ game. Behind closed doors stops that. I also guess with it being at Colney there are logistical issues with allow fans to come.

It also stops Birmingham sending someone to have a watch and asses Norwich’s playing style.

It can be an opportunity for sides to totally switch formations and styles, different tactics etc, away from prying eyes.

Sounds like both teams we taking a laid back approach to the game trying out different formation and fielding totally different XI''s for both 60 minutes. 4 x 30 minute sessions rather than a 90. And I''m assuming behind closed doors they probably also wouldn''t need official refs and what not either.

It was probably more to do with pitch unavailability, but at this early stage of pre-season sounded like it worked out well for both sides to use it for what they needed.