Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Can’t stop the optimism....

Having followed Norwich for 30+ years, im fully capable of recognising that just when you think they should be good they invariably aren’t and when you least expect it, they come good.

However, I just can’t stop the optimism starting to build when looking at the squad we are beginning to develop this season. I have this feeling that we should be competitive and with a little bit of luck be competing at the top end.

Maybe I’ve gone mad and we will be struggling but I think we have some good footballers, a few who can battle, some athletes, pace and trickery and some competition up top.

I also look at the squad and think that another manager could surely get a turn out of them if the Farke experiment doesn’t work. Time to get that horrible foootball feeling of hope again!

i think the season Hinges on if we can get the team Scoring goals we have sold Maddison and Murphy and that is not only quality but also the goals they scored out of the team

we were a very low scoring team last season sort that problem out if it was players or tactics and we might have half a chance

Optimistic too..

Maybe promotion is beyond us next season but id expect us to compete for top six, finish 8th or 9th as a minimum then hopefully the following season will be our time but....if we can get a good start I think we could be on to something..

If we can become a free scoring side then that optimism will be gladly backed. We over achieved with our league position given our lack of goals last season, so hopefully add a lot more goals scored to our stats and quickly things change from mid table mediocrity to play-off bound. Certainly think anything above play-offs is out of reach, but certainly think we shop be aiming for play-offs as a minimum.

[quote user="AJ"]If we can become a free scoring side then that optimism will be gladly backed. We over achieved with our league position given our lack of goals last season, so hopefully add a lot more goals scored to our stats and quickly things change from mid table mediocrity to play-off bound. Certainly think anything above play-offs is out of reach, but certainly think we shop be aiming for play-offs as a minimum.[/quote]
Goals for / against are a factor of course, but come behind points amassed. Look at Hull City, they scored for fun last season, scoring 70 to our meagre 49, also let them in for fun, conceding 70, and managed to finish nicely below us. Dont think we over or under achieved, mid table was our constant thruout the season.
Of course results on the pitch can cause some fans to go into a state of over reaction in either of the optimism / pessimism zone very quickly, but all thru last season, even at the height of the bad result runs, i was trying to stay realistic and see the bigger picture, to the club as a whole. The new model the club chose, after we said goodbye to both AN and the Prem, was massive, the change in approach, style, coupled with an absolute necessity in managing the coffers wisely. Delia and the Board can be moaned at all all we want, but going into another new season, the guys they chose such as Webber, Neil Adams and Steve Stone have turned out to be stonkingly good, and the beauty of this time of year is all clubs go into the new season equal, no matter whats happened off the pitch. Now its over to DF and his squad, which to me, feel like a stronger, better outfit than last season, which in itself amazing to say post Madders and Murphy. Optimistic?...for me, yes, more so than 12 months ago, but no futile predictions on where we will finish in the Champs come next May. OTBC.

I''m also leaning towards optimism.
I genuinely believe the signings of Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes indicate pragmatism from Farke and Webber. We needed to score more goals from crosses so they''ve gone and got somebody that can cross more often and more consistently than Murphy and 2 clinical box strikers, something we haven''t had in ages.
Really hope it clicks.

I''m cautiously optimistic based on the business we''ve done but with the jury still very much out on Farke I''m bot getting carried away.

Top 15 at least. That said we could easily have a disaster or do the reverse and finish top 6 . Let too much quality go but to be fair the signings of a club that won’t spend ordinarily haven’t been bad .