Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Prediction time

Now that the squad is largely in place. (Minus some obvious departures) Where do you think we will finish this season?

My heart says top ten but my head says 16th

Until the window slams shut and we can see who every club has bought and sold it would be a complete and utter stab in the dark to even try and guess.

So I reckon somewhere between 1st and 24th.

Heart says bottom 3. Head says bottom. Hope I''m wrong though. Or something like that.

I''m not going to use any of my organs as my brain has never been used and my heart belongs to another.

But I like a quiz so I will go for 10th as well.

Can I suggest a range of four places at this stage? Between 5th and 8th.

We have to progress this season so definitely think we''ll reach the play offs, so am going to say third, narrowly missing automatc promotion. If we do make the play offs, whether we get promotion from there is anyone''s guess.

"We have to progress this season so definitely think we''ll reach the play offs, so am going to say third, narrowly missing automatc promotion. If we do make the play offs, whether we get promotion from there is anyone''s guess."

I''m with you fella .... but it seems we are alone.

Can''t see how we are going to progress with inferior players and a weaker squad to what we had last season so it''s underwhelming mid table position at best for me.

How can you say at this early stage that we have an inferior squad? Yes we''ve sold Maddison but we also played through him a hell of a lot, built our system to fit him in and relied on him massively. We have signed some good players and have a more balanced squad this season with a lot of the players from last season bedded in and showing signs of progress (Husband not included). People need to stop being so negative and start supporting the team! You can''t judge until at least 10 games into the season, pre season tells you nothing its just about experimenting tactics and getting fitness. Anyway after all that I think we will finish top 6.

A slow start, that gets better and an exciting run to try and make the playoffs at the end that goes to the final day. 7th.

All hinges on the ability of the new strikers to hit the ground running and know where the net is. I like the Rhodes signing and hopefully we can get him back to where he once was. The other forwards who knows how they will adapt to this level. Lower half of the table finish for me unfortunately

It''s too early to be predicting anything - there''s still far too many potential moves that may or may not happen, not just with us but across the division.

[quote user="lincsy88"]How can you say at this early stage that we have an inferior squad?
We have signed some good players and have a more balanced squad this season
You can''t judge until at least 10 games into the season
I think we will finish top 6.[/quote]
Good players and a more balanced squad, how do you know?
If you can''t judge until after 10 games how come you think we''ll finish Top 6.
I know, it''s a hunch but your hunch is no more valid than mine.
Mid table & boring footy.

It seems to me that we have the players now.

Our Summer dealings have not lacked intelligence.

Last season''s gaps have been filled. We are a better unit all-round than last season whereby we ended up totally reliant on a young future England star.

It is now up to the manager to produce as well as he talks.

[quote user="Making Plans"]
[quote user="lincsy88"]How can you say at this early stage that we have an inferior squad?
We have signed some good players and have a more balanced squad this season
You can''t judge until at least 10 games into the season
I think we will finish top 6.[/quote]
Good players and a more balanced squad, how do you know?
If you can''t judge until after 10 games how come you think we''ll finish Top 6.
I know, it''s a hunch but your hunch is no more valid than mine.
Mid table & boring footy.
[/quote]
MP''s hunches.....
"We''re going to a wedding next week"  - MP......it''ll be boring, music will be too loud and the bride will look ugly.
"We''re going for a meal tomorrow night" - MP....the food will be cold, the beer will be off and the service terrible.
"We''re going to the pictures tomorrow"  - MP.......the film will have a poor storyline, terrible sound track and bad acting.
[;)]
No offence....

LDC, as we have just witnessed with England, too many people nowadays are prepared to accept mediocrity as some sort of success.
I would love to see us challenging for a top six position in the league this season but based on what I saw last season, and in in''s versus the out''s in the transfer market, I can''t see that happening.
Bottom line is I don''t rate Farke one bit and until he goes, and we get back to playing proper football, we are destined for a long stint in the middle to lower reaches of the Championship.
BTW, we haven''t been to a wedding in years as we try and avoid them if at all possible, as my wife is a chef we rarely eat out and the last film we saw at "the pictures" was The Vampire Lovers.

I''m thinking we''re definitely going to see progress on last season with the style of play clicking more - heck it took Pep well over a year with the quality he had at his disposal! So I''d imagine we''ll finally see Farke''s style becoming more successful after Christmas for a late surge into the play-offs! (There''s always one!) Though head says 8th.

I think we are certs for top six.

So much so that I have ventured an amount equivalent to Ipswich Town Football Club''s transfer budget on that outcome with my local bookie.

Being allergic to peanuts he has laid the bet off.

LDC, as we have just witnessed with England, too many people nowadays are prepared to accept mediocrity as some sort of success.

I think that is a good point MP.

We are told that football is better now and it was a wow of a World Cup.

There were some rank bad international teams who are just copying the tactics of the better teams.

But the team that showed us that they would play their own way won the tournament.

England did well but it was only progress not success so we will have to wait and see how Southgate adapts his squad and style.

I judge football not only on success but include entertainment. I have no doubt that our current squad have more skill than Saunders squad but do they entertain me any more than his team did? In my case it is No.

Grant Holt excited me but no more than Ron Davies did. And Bryceland and Crook had cuter football brains than anyone I have seen since.

Of course younger supporters cannot judge as they weren''t around but they must excuse some of us crusties if we beg to fdiffer sometimes.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]8th for me
[/quote]
I''m with you on this. Having been spectacularly overly optimistic last season (predicted playoffs with possible challenge for automatic promotion) I am going to be more realistic and say 8th. I think this will be another year of transition where we try to stabilise the squad while working with a massively reduced budget. My heart says we could win the league, but my head says we will struggle.I am a fan of the new system in principle: I think we are a lot like the England team and (with the obvious exception of lacking a goalscorer) we have similar strengths and weaknesses; in particular we seem to share the trait of creating a huge number of openings but taking few. With more time to embed the style into the team and improvements in key areas (mainly in transition from defence to attack and finishing) we could be the genuine article. Through discipline, hard work and better tactics, we could beat any championship team; but I fear we do not have the quality (particularly in front of goal) to mount a serious challenge this season.

We''ve made some decent signings but nothing really stand out - it sounds like Harry Wilson from Liverpool maybe going to Derby now - shame because he is quality and would have made a difference up top for us.

I reckon we'' ll be mid table again

[quote user="The Engineer"]I''m thinking we''re definitely going to see progress on last season with the style of play clicking more - heck it took Pep well over a year with the quality he had at his disposal! So I''d imagine we''ll finally see Farke''s style becoming more successful after Christmas for a late surge into the play-offs! (There''s always one!) Though head says 8th.[/quote]
This was my thinking last year: that we would take a while to gel, but win most of our games after Christmas. I was totally wrong!
I can fantasise about keeping things tight initially, being more organised and disciplined than our rivals and everything falling into place for a fantastic run at the end of the season; but my head says we will struggle to 8th place.