Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

No hidden agenda behind Nelson Oliveira’s absence

[quote user="rock bus"]What I am unclear on is the returned back to training late comment.

I might have missed it but why didn’t he start with everyone else?

IF it was a case of him just not bothering to turn up then I wouldn’t take him to Germany either as would clearly be a disruptive influence.

He has the capability to be a good player but there’s hardly a long queue of clubs wanting to buy him or he’d be gone by now.[/quote]
No doubt many saw his prima donna antics at Fulham last season in particular, and are giving him a wide berth, just as Farke appears to be doing in order to promote team spirit and harmony in the squad. 

[quote user="Ian"]I would imagine he''s made his feelings about Farke and Farke''s system perfectly clear, and wants a move.

However, I''m also not sure that anyone will actually come in for him, as I imagine he is on a reasonable salary and the club will want a fee for him. I imagine if Nelson was to apologise and take responsibility the club/Farke would have no real choice but to re-integrate him and move on.[/quote]
ON apologised to DF after the disgraceful disrespect shown to the manager at Fulham but he was still moody and couldn''t be a*sed half the time when he subsequently did play.
ON''s apologies are as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard so why we believe anything he says ? Trying to re-integrate him will be a waste of time.

Last year Nelson called the tune. This year it will be Farke and Webber. I expect Nelson will be inclined to cut and run and even though Farke rates his footballing talents everything else is wrong - so a good offer will be hard to turn down. His absence from the German tour is clearly significant. Nobody is buying the official line on this. Football is a team game. If you’re tired you watch. You don’t stay at home or go on holiday.

The bloke has been on stand by for Portugal in the World Cup, he is perfectly entitled to a holiday. That said, he’s not good enough to play for us despite being the best striker we have at the club by a million miles, I think what we should all do is gang together and slate the bloke relentlessly like a lot of us did last season, you know, really make him feel loved, it’s the way to go if we want to bring out the best in him 😳

[quote user="Alex "]The bloke has been on stand by for Portugal in the World Cup, he is perfectly entitled to a holiday. That said, he’s not good enough to play for us despite being the best striker we have at the club by a million miles, I think what we should all do is gang together and slate the bloke relentlessly like a lot of us did last season, you know, really make him feel loved, it’s the way to go if we want to bring out the best in him 😳[/quote]

Totally agree - I''m worried if we''re going to be relying on Srebny as back up

I do wonder if those who are frothing at the mouth to get Nelson out were similar with Wes and his Aston Villa flirtation.

[quote user="Alex "]The bloke has been on stand by for Portugal in the World Cup, he is perfectly entitled to a holiday. That said, he’s not good enough to play for us despite being the best striker we have at the club by a million miles, I think what we should all do is gang together and slate the bloke relentlessly like a lot of us did last season, you know, really make him feel loved, it’s the way to go if we want to bring out the best in him 😳[/quote]
Nelson got little to no stick for the huge majority of last season despite trying to undermine his manager on the first day of the season and having several attitude related issues made public alongside showing zero effort in a decent amount of games, performing terribly, and then posting things on social media against Farkes style of play this pre-season.
Yeah. It''s just like Wes. And it''s obviously all the fans fault.
Jesus christ.

To be fair Wes called us a shithouse club and refused to celebrate when he scored a goal for us because he wanted to move to the team he scored against! If Nelson did that you''d be spitting blood.

Wes got a pass because he was a legend and nobody like Hughton by that point. I wonder if Nelson stays, Farke starts slowly and leaves whether there could be redemption story for him too.

[quote user="Bonzo"]Last year Nelson called the tune. This year it will be Farke and Webber. I expect Nelson will be inclined to cut and run and even though Farke rates his footballing talents everything else is wrong - so a good offer will be hard to turn down. His absence from the German tour is clearly significant. Nobody is buying the official line on this. Football is a team game. If you’re tired you watch. You don’t stay at home or go on holiday.[/quote]
But what is the official line?
Is it..
“Nelson is part of our group and we just decided not to have him with us. We want to build a togetherness in this group and bring them tightly together."
Or is it....
“So there is no space right now and Nelson knows how we want to play and came late to pre-season. So let’s concentrate on these lads for the next weeks.”
There''s a refreshing honesty about Daniel Farke. My mind goes back to snowmageddon...

It was funny on the Wednesday, there was so much snow and all the German lads were in at the normal time,” he said. “To be honest, most of the British lads were thinking it was a day off and sending in pictures of the snow, saying: ‘The roads are blocked, we can’t come’.

“It was the same with the training staff. My goalkeeper coach rings me and says: ‘I can’t come’. I’m thinking this is a brilliant day for keepers to train in the snow.

“Most of the players live pretty close to the stadium and the Germans were in. Marley Watkins, a Welsh guy, and I think the Welsh guys are tough, he sends me a photo of some snow on his car. I understand the Portugal guys. Nelson (Oliveira) was sending me a picture saying the roads are too dangerous. I sent him a picture back of Louis Thompson, a British player who lives two houses away from Nelson, and he was in at the normal time." 

“I accept the sun is always shining in Portugal. Maybe it is a cultural thing. I get the feeling here with snow everything is not possible.

“Normally we have the session at 9am so we said: ‘okay the streets are a bit tricky. We put it back to 1pm’ but even at 1pm, and I don’t want to criticise the British players, but at 12:50pm Jamal Lewis sends me a picture saying there is so much snow. I know this. That is why we put the session back.

“Nelson tells me it is too dangerous. I said: ‘Nelson, I drove on those roads at 9am. When I was driving I could see cars with young women and old women, old men and young men and children, and it is not too dangerous for them but my 25-year-old tough striker it is not possible to be in the car’. I can’t accept it."

Interestingly Louis Thompson is putting down a marker in Germany while Nelson Oliveira is no where to be seen...

I don’t know what comments he has made, when he returned to training or when the rest of the squad returned to training and therefore I am not criticising him or supporting him. I would point out 2 things however:

1. He was on holiday in Mykonos immediately before the World Cup started;

2. The World Cup started on 14 June and Portugal’s first game was on 15 June-I’m not sure what the rules about standby replacements are but he certainly couldn’t have still been on standby after their first game.