Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

A Challenge.

[quote user="KiwiScot"]Explain the UEFA League Of Nations. Briefy [:D]
[/quote]
Ha! I did - nerdily - work it out some months ago. Bits of it I have forgotten but the end result is that one team from each of the four seeded groups gets to qualify for the last four places in Euro 2020 after the normal qualification process has produced 20 teams. What is complicated is finding one team from each of the seeded groups that hasn''t already qualified, but that seems to have been worked out. And it means that one minnow team from the bottom-seeded group - the likes of Andorra or Liechtenstein etc - will get to the 2020 finals.

I actually quite like the league system idea, but how does the qualification for the Euro Championships work? The league season apparently runs once every two years (most games in Sept-Nov in even years and a few games in June in odd years) but you’ve only got a Euro Championship every four.

And doesn’t the idea of “relegation” actually just give a bit of an incentive to lose in seasons where there is no Euro Championships being held? You get relegated that season and then the season where you can qualify for the Euros you’re in a weaker league. If you’re in group A, get relegated to Group B in the “off-season” and the season where you can qualify for the Euros, you’re playing weaker opposition for that chance. And the group C sides have no incentive to get promoted in the “off-season” for that same reason - better off in group C or D.

All a bit strange.

[quote user="lincsy88"]Is this to give Scotland a fairer chance of qualifying!?[/quote]
I think you mean ''an outside'' rather than ''a fairer'' 

[quote user="Mr Benn"]

[quote user="lincsy88"]Is this to give Scotland a fairer chance of qualifying!?[/quote]
I think you mean ''an outside'' rather than ''a fairer'' 
[/quote]
We''ll take any hope going. It all adds to the excitement. New Scottish football motto. Don''t lose until the 90th minute. Stretch the excitement out!
Mind you we''ve sent people to look at the Croatia setup to see how they produced top players.

Scotland have Israel and Albania in our group. England I notice have Croatia and Spain.
Uefa League Of Nations. I gave trying to make this brief btw. Fail.
A comp to replace friendlies, have big name games and allow smaller nations a chance to qualify for the Euros as well as let Big teams like Holland or Italy qualify through the back door should they fudd it up.
Teams are divided into 4 Leagues where promotion and relegation happen between. Each League has 4 groups of 3 teams
All group games happen in the Autumn 2018. Teams winning their group will have a (better)chance to qualify for Euro 2020 in addition to the normal process
March 2019 - Nov 2019, the normal Euro 2020 qualifying happens albeit it a bit faster than normal.
June 2019 there is a Finals for the group winners of League A(Germany, France etc) to crown the winner of the League of Nations. This has no qualifying benefit. Pointless.
December 2019 - The draw for Euro 2020 is made
March 2020 - 16 months after last playing. Each of the 4 Leagues selects the 4 best not already qualfied teams(Scotland) and they have a playoff within their league. Each League winner goes to the Euros(?Scotland?).