Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

Cb

Anybody else think we are still a cb short? When you take Hanley out I’m not convinced of the other pairings. Also is rb still a concern. Although Marshall can play there it’s not his best position. Passlack looks tiny in the highlights I’ve seen so far and could be in for a rough ride. Fairly happy with the other business so far though.

Right back depends on Aarons making the step up and Ivo Pinto staying or going.
I think another CB is a must though if we''re going to be playing a 3, especially as Raggett has apparently been struggling to play out from the back.

RB not a major concern as we have Passlack assumingly as first choice, then Pinto or Marshall, or at last resort Godfrey can fill in there too plus we have a few youth players in that position too!

As for CB, we''ve currently got;

Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman, Raggett, Godfrey (Martin... due to be leaving on lone)

5 vying for 2 positions is enough. We might need another if we decide to try 3 at the back again though.

I think if the manager doesn''t rate Raggett which looks to be the case unfortunately, then I think we need someone else. I know Godfrey can play there, but he''s just spent an entire season playing holding mid, that needs imo to be his position. I''m comfortable with him dropping back to cover an injury mid game but i''d prefer him to master the midfield position. We''ve seen players in the past keep drifting between two positions while never nailing one down outright.

Right Back I cant see a problem with the cover unless Pinto is to go, Aarons is loaned out. Marshall I think will be fine aslong as it''s not a flat back four which probably brings us back to needing another centre back.

IMO it''ll be Godfrey as the extra CB, he''s pretty good in the air and, equally important in our current system, good with the ball at his feet. I don''t think Raggett will be here too much longer, we''ll sell or loan to a Sheff Utd or someone else who likes to play a long ball game. Maybe we might find someone like Cardiff will want him in Jan though.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think Godfrey is being considered as a CB, so that helps.[/quote]
Farke has added his thoughts to that suggestion and it looks more as if Godfrey will be in the back 3 or 4 rather than the middle

[quote user="glory.win or die."]In regards to ragget t, I really don''t understand why we didn''t play him forvthe last few games last season to help him acclimatise and be more ready this season.[/quote]

I can''t help but feel there is a slight misunderstanding of the British player and I don''t want to see them disregarded. The comments about league 1 and it''s standard worry me a little, British players may not be as technical as their German counterparts but they do have other qualities. If it was a case of the lower league foreign players being superior in every way we wouldn''t have struggled against teams at the wrong end of the championship last season. A balance needs to be struck and for me we seem to leaning abit to far to the continental side at the moment.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="glory.win or die."]In regards to ragget t, I really don''t understand why we didn''t play him forvthe last few games last season to help him acclimatise and be more ready this season.[/quote]

I can''t help but feel there is a slight misunderstanding of the British player and I don''t want to see them disregarded. The comments about league 1 and it''s standard worry me a little, British players may not be as technical as their German counterparts but they do have other qualities. If it was a case of the lower league foreign players being superior in every way we wouldn''t have struggled against teams at the wrong end of the championship last season. A balance needs to be struck and for me we seem to leaning abit to far to the continental side at the moment.[/quote]
If the message is that a CB has to be able to distribute the ball well and he can''t do that, then it doesn''t matter if he is British, German or from Timbuktu, he won''t be good enough.  If Ragget is to feature, then it seems he has to improve his passing and the country he comes from is pretty irrelevant.
Also, league 1 is league 1 and players can''t always step up. It is to be hoped Raggett will step up, but it may take some time.

I agree LDC I was more referring to Godfrey who i''d prefer to be given the role of CDM not CB. Raggett is 24 and will be 25 in Jan he has to adapt and play now if he''s going to work out for us. I''m ok if they deem his distribution is not good enough he didn''t cost lots. What I am more concerned with is there seems to lack of acknowledgment that the players in league 1 and 2 can offer something different. Personally I feel that we will struggle if we don''t attempt to combine more elements of a British style with a continental possession one. To many times last season we were bullied out of most matches when Tettey wasn''t in the side. I''d much rather Godfrey/Thompson to be given a shot in that holding role to the people Farke has been mentioning. I know people will say Tettey isn''t British but he has that Scandinavian sort of game, which is similar.