Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Good start for Madders

This may not engage all of you but he''s one ex-Norwich player I will follow with interest :

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/22/leicester-city-fans-react-to-former-norwich-city-man-james-maddi/page/1/

Will be keeping an eye onLeicester and how he does. Have him in my fantasy football team. Wish the lad every success.

Yep I will get great pleasure following the success of someone we should have kept and built a team around...😕

I think Mike''s answer will include something about new owners, something about ambition, something about where the Prem money has gone etc. It''ll either include one or all of the usual bumpf.
Good luck to Madders. Talent with hard work will pay off[Y]

In passing, the BBC''s gossip column has the following:

Tottenham remain strong frontrunners to land Aston Villa''s Jack Grealish - despite lining up an offer worth only half of the 22-year-old midfielder''s £20m valuation. (Sun)

Maddison''s fee looks good in that context, though it is only gossip.

I hope he does well, primarily for England’s sake as I think we need a player like Madders to break into that team. It will be a little annoying though to see the pundits suddenly rave about him after two good games for Leicester in the prem when we’ve all been saying for a year how he’s top class.

Just another example of how badly this club is run. You can go back to the 60''s 70''s onwards where the BOD have always told supporters we have to be a SELLING CLUB to survive.

Leicester, Brighton, Bournemouth Crystal Palace seem to manage

Not as simple as that Daly.
Leicester hung onto Mahrez for as long as they could but had no choice but to sell him in the end.
Bournemouth wouldn''t have wanted to sell Matt Ritchie.
Bolassie signed a new 3 year contract with Palace in Summer 2015, a year later he joined Everton.
Do you think Liverpool wanted to sell Suaraz and Coutinho? They had no choice in the end either.
If a players head is turned by more money or a club they perceive as bigger or better, even in the short term, they''re gone.
Our club could have sat Madders down in May and said "...we''re ambitious, we''re looking to go up next season, we want to build our team around you and here''s a new contract".
And his answer could have been Leicester are already in the Premier League, is closer to his home and are able to blow us out of the water re.wages anyway. What would you have done?

[quote user="wooster"]In passing, the BBC''s gossip column has the following:

Tottenham remain strong frontrunners to land Aston Villa''s Jack Grealish - despite lining up an offer worth only half of the 22-year-old midfielder''s £20m valuation. (Sun)

Maddison''s fee looks good in that context, though it is only gossip.[/quote]
I think he''s a significantly better player than Grealish to be fair.

On a personal level i hope he does as well as possible, the lad deserves everything that comes his way.

on a football level - hopefully he does better than possible, and we have a nice little sell-on clause in his sale. 10-20% of 50m will be a nice little bonus in a few years

The first prem match of the season is Man U- Leicester on the Friday night. Let’s hope he’s involved as will make it worth watching

[quote user="Herman"]
I think Mike''s answer will include something about new owners, something about ambition, something about where the Prem money has gone etc. It''ll either include one or all of the usual bumpf.
[/quote]

I would reply with an adult answer but I fear people like you have difficulty debating with people who do not agree with your opinions. Petty and very sad really.

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="Herman"]
[/quote]

I would reply with an adult answer but I fear people like you have difficulty debating with people who do not agree with your opinions. Petty and very sad really.[/quote]
Unfair on Herman. He''s a far more reasonable poster than me.
I''d like to hear your opinion. But equally if I can use facts to prove that your opinion is on the ridiculous side, i''ll respond as such. I think that''s called debating, actually?

How would Mike do it differently other than the simplistic "get new owners" solution?
We''re a medium sized club without a rich benefactor. We have just lost a massive revenue stream so we now have to find new ways to keep the club viable. One of the solutions is to train kids into highly prized assets, which will either help us get to the Prem, or sell to bring in funds.One of these assets attracted a large amount of attention from wealthier clubs.So the here and now answer was to sell a young talented player for a ridiculous amount of money.
Yes, it''s a cold business like approach, but so far it has worked and keeps the club going.

The only way we had any chance of Maddison still being here was promotion last season. Even if that had happened and Leicester came calling we still may have struggled to hold on as they are now established in the PL and would have still paid him far more than we could. They grasped their chance when reaching the PL, unfortunately for us it went a different way

There are countless arguments, which have been made on countless occasions, but unfortunately these met with the bog standard sarcasm and I really have much better things to do. We will have to disagree on the approach taken by our current owners.

What I will say is, this is not a great business model because if Madders had received a serious injury or not pushed himself forward as he did last season, how would we have covered the financial short comings then?

Anyway here is to, hopefully a good season of attacking interesting football and not the dross we had to endure last season.

Ps. ALL good businesses seek and get good financial backing to expand and grow 😉