Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

Maddison £20m, Grealush £30-40m. Discuss.

No. His transfer has broken the record of a championship player whos never touched a Premier League football.

Well if Villa ever get an offer above £20m let''s do just that. But even if he was worth that, just knowing Villa have to sell means it''s more likely to be a firesale if it happens at all during this transfer window.

The deal for Maddison was worth more like 25m.   Grealish may have a big price tag, but he hasn''t been sold yet and the end price will be less than the stupid money being talked about.   Villa may have a bit of money now, but money still talks and the player will want to move. If they are offered 20-25m, they will probably take it - he offers less of a goal threat than Maddison and is certainly not worth more and even rich clubs won''t pay much more than that.

The point is this ''discussion'' is purely theoretical; while we have sold Maddison for c£25m, most of it up-front, Villa are yet to receive any offer for Grealish for anything - let alone 30-40m.

If Spurs pay 30m+ for Grealish when they could have got Madison for c£25m, it kind of suggests that they, rightly or wrongly think that he is a better player.Otherwise they would have saved the money and bought Madison.[:^)]

Maddison is a far better player than Grealish as his stats last year prove. If Villa get more then I would say we have been to generous but a big if as no deal has been done yet.

[quote user="Surfer"]Well if Villa ever get an offer above £20m let''s do just that. But even if he was worth that, just knowing Villa have to sell means it''s more likely to be a firesale if it happens at all during this transfer window.[/quote]

Villa are having to sell because they need the money, exactly like us. Both clubs need(ed) cash.

How does it? We wanted to do a deal early in this he summer so we could bring players in with the cash raised and still managed to squeeze a record fee out of Leicester for him. The whole £40m for Grealish thing started with a throw away comment by Steve Bruce before the financial meltdown at the club happened and as far as I am aware there hasn’t actually been a single bid of more than £20m made for him, let alone £30-40m.

To have got more than £60m for the Murphy’s, Pritchard and Maddison over the last 12 months is incredible business even more so when you consider this cake against a backdrop of huge financial challenges at the club.

[quote user="Mike "]Maddison is a far better player than Grealish as his stats last year prove. If Villa get more then I would say we have been to generous but a big if as no deal has been done yet.[/quote]We might think so, but if they pay more for Grealish, Spurs obviously don''t.If the rumours are true, perhaps they think that Grealish is better suited to top end premier league football/ champions league?

We needed the money to plug a big Gap it suited us we got a fair price

the lack of spending shows how much we needed the Murphy and Maddison money so we now have the club back on track so it was a good long term deal for the club

Good discussion, people. I agree with most of the views expressed. I just think that £30m+ for Grealish would be ludicrous given Maddison''s far superior goal record and the fact that I expect him to break into the full England squad quicker than Grealish even if the latter were to join a more "fashionable" club like Tottenham, especially as I think he''d get little game time given the other midfielders currently at Spurs'' disposal.

Interesting point on the ''fashionable club'' aspect for England. I think under the current set up, that''s no longer the case, with players like Pickford, Pope, Maguire, Vardy etc, not playing for teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd/City. That, and the fact that those clubs hardly have any English players in them anyway.

I personally think Grealish is one of the most overrated players I''ve ever seen. Yes he has talent, but it is nowhere near world class talent that commends a fee like that. He hardly set the world alight, 3 goals and 6 assists is hardly earth shattering stuff (I do acknowledge he did miss the first part of the season). Maddison is by far the better prospect.

Villa need cash due to the FFP rules, I can''t see him going anywhere near the numbers mentioned here. The rumours are that Spurs are bidding around the £10-12m mark and can probably use Villa''s desperation against them.

Yeah around £15m would be my guess too. With regards to my comment "if at all in this window"; Villa have a cash flow problem and a FFP problem. I believe they can sell in Jan and still use those funds to resolve the FFP problem, but with their new investors they may not need to sell immediately to solve their cashflow problem.