Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Goalkeeper

[quote user="Making Plans"]
[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]What actually happened to Krul to derail his career? [/quote]
He had repetitive strain injury from bending down to pick the ball out of the back of the net
[/quote]

He was a top goalkeeper. Nobody knows how good he is since his injury as the number 1 at Newcastle and Brighton did nothing to warrant being dropped, unlike outfield positions you can only play 1 goalkeeper.

Yet another player you are giving no chance before they even play.

I couldn''t agree less.

A shot to the top left corner that is saved does not make a good goalkeeper. Those are the bonusses.

Goalkeeping is about making sure the basics are consistantly right.

Good positioning, a good understanding with the defence, good handling, good anticipation, mobility, good communication and organisation, good concentration and a confidence that can spread to others around him.

Good goalkeepers quite often do not have to make saves (because they make sure everything else is right in front of them)! Good shot stoppers are not necessarily good goalkeepers. It''s their overall game that is important.

Krul has displayed the right qualities in the past, whether he still has those qualities is debatable.

There are a few thousand Plymouth supporters who would have no doubt at all about the quality of Matthews, who effectively this season comes from a lower division! Between the two of them competition could ensure that both improve and that the position is well covered.

[quote user="Yellow Wal"]I couldn''t agree less.

A shot to the top left corner that is saved does not make a good goalkeeper. Those are the bonusses.

Goalkeeping is about making sure the basics are consistantly right.

Good positioning, a good understanding with the defence, good handling, good anticipation, mobility, good communication and organisation, good concentration and a confidence that can spread to others around him.

Good goalkeepers quite often do not have to make saves (because they make sure everything else is right in front of them)! Good shot stoppers are not necessarily good goalkeepers. It''s their overall game that is important.

Krul has displayed the right qualities in the past, whether he still has those qualities is debatable.

There are a few thousand Plymouth supporters who would have no doubt at all about the quality of Matthews, who effectively this season comes from a lower division! Between the two of them competition could ensure that both improve and that the position is well covered.[/quote]
I agree with every word of that! And in the past have stressed that many fans/journalists/pundits don''t understand goalkeeping and in particular that the key aspect to making saves is positioning, so that often the save is easy. Uninformed watchers pay far too much attention to shot-stopping, often failing to realise a lack of anticipation and positioning have made the save harder than it should have been. Rather like a defender forced into cowd-pleasing last-ditch tackles because he wasn''t correctly positioned.I was just using shot-stoping as a simple example, rather than going into the complexities of all the major qualities needed, and not relating it specifically to Krul, who has in the past shown those important qualities. But shot-stopping is still important, and if - I have no idea - that injury has reduced that aspect of his game that will spread to the others. As to Matthews, I know Plymouth fans rated him highly but, as above, many fans don''t know what to look for. And it seems as if Farke is not convinced.

"Rather like a defender forced into cowd-pleasing last-ditch tackles because he wasn''t correctly positioned."

*cough* Russell Martin *cough*

Krul was a great keeper, and a large reason behind that was for such a big guy (6ft 4) he had lightening reflexes and could do the close up stuff that taller keepers sometimes struggle with.

However, the ACL injury in 2015 seems to have impaired his ability to make those explosive movement required for close range saves. His loan to Ajax was a bust (although they had Onana and no one thought he would be so good so young) but the AZ one is most worrying, he was distinctly average for them in a very average league.

I just don''t see how Norwich can be confident that Krul is good enough for the Championship. He has hardly played in the last 3 years, and when he did it wasn''t great.

There are also question marks over his distribution and how comfortable he is receiving the ball from defenders, this was always highlighted as his biggest weakness while at Newcastle.

As to Matthews, I know Plymouth fans rated him highly but, as above, many fans don''t know what to look for. And it seems as if Farke is not convinced.

But if Matthews did the job of not conceding very many goals and if 99% if not all were not because of his making then where is the problem? To perform post mortems on his abilities isn''t necessary if he does the job.

Plymouth fans praised him for his contribution in lifting their club from 26th at Christmas to seventh.

If he hasn''t looked good in pre season then of course the manager will lose confidence in him and look for a replacement. We cannot go into next season with a cloud over our defence for yet another season.

Krul himself has not had a smooth, top class career. He struggled at first at Newcastle and went out on loan. And since he left Newcastle he has been in the revolving door of clubs without leaving a lasting impression.

"There are also question marks over his distribution and how comfortable he is receiving the ball from defenders, this was always highlighted as his biggest weakness while at Newcastle. "

Should have stayed in Holland longer I guess...

Hopefully if Krul comes then Matthews and Krul can be competition enough for each other to improve Matthews and to re-kindle Krul''s best form.

Many 30 year old ex-internationals have gone on for many seasons at a very high level.

Let''s hope they are beneficial to each other as I''m sure Matthews will be able to pick up and learn quite a bit from Krul.

''26th at Christmas''

That is quite an achievement in a league of 24 teams.

Stupid boy. I had missed the 4 on the keyboard altogether and hit a button that caused a bit of chaos and when i had got back to normal, I must have hit the 6!

Well he used to be good and he is still quite young for a goalkeeper at 30. Worth a punt on a free transfer, if he comes good great if not we wont be wasting the millions we have done on certain players in the past. Pleased with this, of course there is an element of risk but there always is, much potential upside not much downside imo

Well, if the Krul move breaks down then Michael Theoklitos is a free agent again. He''s got unfinished business with us and might be worth another punt...

Well, if the Krul move breaks down then Michael Theoklitos is a free agent again. He''s got unfinished business with us and might be worth another punt...

Not sure you spell it with a P

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Well, if the Krul move breaks down then Michael Theoklitos is a free agent again. He''s got unfinished business with us and might be worth another punt...

Not sure you spell it with a P[/quote]
HAHAHA made me smile KG [:)]

Yellow Wal/Purple,

I agree entirely with what you have said, although add a caveat or two, there will always be the worldy of a shot or defence splitting pass and this is when last ditch tackles and great shot stopping play their part. Also, the fact that although they may be correctly positioned and despite all the organising, etc. their team mates may not be and once again the last ditch tackle and great shot stopping is required, essentially to cover the ''error'' made elsewhere. On the occasions ''they'' are unable to make the tackle or save and are subsequently criticised by those who do not ''get'' the whole picture.

All players make mistakes and this is when teamwork and organisation comes to the fore, unfortunately I have seen too many players worry about their job alone and therefore dissipate the ability of the defence to defend as one unit.

I think Krul needs to be playing so if he signs i would of thought he sees himself as No1 i can not see him joining us dropping down a division to be back up keeper

I think it''s a good bit of business...as our GKs up to now have shown a great deal of frailty in pre-season and it''s a free transfer. The guy has proved he''s a good goalkeeper... he just needs to get back to his level of a few years ago. I''m sure he will be raring to go , once he''s signed the paper...

It''s quite a while since we had a "name" on the team sheet.

I grew up with names like Chivers, Osgood, Peters, Channon and O''Neill turning out in the yellow.

This could work out very well. The operative word being ''could.''

Agree with the view this is not necessarily terrible news for Remi. I believe this would be an excellent signing. Was surprised Newcastle didn’t give him a bit more time to come good again. He’ll be ring rusty so it’s not a given that he’ll be No.1 from the get go if he signs but, with the squad rebuild, we look light on the Premier experience he brings with him and which we’ll need if all goes to plan for the club and for him if he gets back in the groove with a season in the Championship. Could be a real asset on the pitch and/or in the dressing room for the other keepers – sharing the inevitable pressure this season may be no bad thing.

[quote user="king canary"]"Rather like a defender forced into cowd-pleasing last-ditch tackles because he wasn''t correctly positioned."

*cough* Russell Martin *cough*[/quote]
I was talking generally...[:D]

Of course, we won''t really know until we see him in action but this seems like a pretty smart deal to me, especially as he seems to qualify as home-grown.Is it me or is Farke''s praise pretty lukewarm?

[quote user="king canary"]Official now, two year deal.

Twitter video suggests he''s got the number 1 shirt.[/quote]
Video of him ironing a No.1 onto a keepers shirt and then putting it on would suggest that.

On the face of it this looks like a good bit of business. He was well thought of a few years ago. I do have slight concerns over exactly what has happened to him to fall out of favour at both Newcastle and Brighton. But I understand Norwich are in a position where this is the type of player we''re likely to pick up. Similar to Rhodes in having a point or two to prove.

Maddison, Murphy, Hoolahan, Watkins, Naismith, Gunn, Reed and 5 mill (approx) out...
McLean, Marshall, Buendia, Leitner, Krul, Pukki, Rhodes, Passlack and 30 mill + in.....
We are downgrading?..strange but how this summer window has gone, it does not feel that way to me.
Welcome to Tim Krul.  With just a week or two before the new season begins, i for one think this summer window has been excellent. Now we await to see if Daniel can get this team performing to its best. I am optimistic for the new season, without getting carried away. OTBC.

Not a guaranteed success but looks like a balanced calculated risk.

May the odds land in our favour.

Still leaves space and budget for loans if needed

I am struggling to enthuse over this signing.

He fell out of favour with the Newcastle faithful because he started shipping 2 or 3 goals a game. Not sure how this relates to his ankle injury, or which one, he does seem prone them if wiki is to be believed. He continued shipping goals at a similar rate during his spell in Holland.

Has then spent a year sitting on the bench at Brighton.

On the plus side it would seem he turned Brighton down re a new contract. So perhaps he is hungry to get back to first team football. Hopefully this may yet prove a gem of a signing, but it is one where we need the need evidence of our own eyes on the pitch.

Seriously hoping my lack of enthusiasm will have been totally misplaced.

OTBC