Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Goalkeeper

Because Ward was the only other keeper around?

Leicester moving for Ward might be why Norwich are now looking at targets in Germany. I’m increasingly convinced that Matthews will not be Norwich’s No. 1 at Birmingham.

Haha was a fairly lazy post to be fair!

I am still worried about the whole domestic based thing though. I was counting on the 2 keepers being domestic based leaving 5 more to find. With Lewis, Marshall and Rhodes starting most games, that would leave 2 more to find.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Because Ward was the only other keeper around?

Leicester moving for Ward might be why Norwich are now looking at targets in Germany. I’m increasingly convinced that Matthews will not be Norwich’s No. 1 at Birmingham.[/quote]
It seems likely from Davitt''s latest piece what he thinks:"Clarity with the keeper situation will come fairly rapidly from this point. Farke

must decided whether it is Remi Matthews or McGovern who gets the nod

for St Andrews. Or if a commanding, authoritive presence has to be

sourced from outside the current dressing room."The implication being that he doesn''t rate either McGovern or Matthews as commanding and authoritative. Which is not to say he knows or believes that Farke shares his view.

By the look of things we need a decent keeper who will make the difference between us staying in the Championship or dropping into Div 1

Premiership Football coming home. About the same chances as England ever winning the World Cup

I really fail to understand all this uncertainty about the goalkeeping situation and the seeming last minute panic, if that''s what it is, regarding our number one for the up-coming season has become ridiculous.

Young Matthews was presumably destined for the role after benefitting from a year out on loan and the club took the risky and probably expensive decision to borrow Angus Gunn to allow for him to finally grow into the role.

Presumably RM was regularly monitored whilst out on loan and presumably by our goalkeeping coach, Neil Adams and others. Their combined decision must then have been that the youngster was ready, especially as his write ups from Plymouth were favourable as well. Any shortcomings should have been picked up.

Now, on the cusp of the new season, we seem to have a problem with Matthews after all. Doubts have surfaced.

All in all, I find it difficult to accept that Remi Matthews is the goalkeeping disaster that he is made out to be, despite his uncertainty in Germany, and that it has to be accepted that after all these years he is ready to step up. Perhaps our boats are burned in any case. This though hardly explains the full ninety minutes given to McGovern yesterday, a ''keeper who it is generally accepted is no better than back-up.

It seems a bit of a cock up in truth and the outcome is that we might have to assume that the recent lapses of the heir apparent are untypical and that the role has to be his for the time being. It could be expensive though.

Im not overly convinced by Matthews but it''s hard to judge him yet whilst he settles into the way we play, being 1st choice,for now, and whilst under pressure knowing any mistake he makes could cost him his Norwich career.

Alot of keepers start of shaky but grown. Look at De gea

We definitely need a viable back up option. McGovern has never filled me with confidence but I''m not writing off Matthews yet

Purple, I think it''s relatively clear that Davitt''s opinion is closely aligned with that of the club. He indicated as much with his comment on the PinkUn live chat the other day about us being interested in a goalkeeper from 2. Bundesliga.

The name(s) isn''t in the public domain so, unless he''s got contacts in the Germany, I''d assume the information has come from within NCFC and he is sitting on it in order to not annoy the club/jeopardise the transfer..

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I really fail to understand all this uncertainty about the goalkeeping situation and the seeming last minute panic, if that''s what it is, regarding our number one for the up-coming season has become ridiculous.

Young Matthews was presumably destined for the role after benefitting from a year out on loan and the club took the risky and probably expensive decision to borrow Angus Gunn to allow for him to finally grow into the role.

Presumably RM was regularly monitored whilst out on loan and presumably by our goalkeeping coach, Neil Adams and others. Their combined decision must then have been that the youngster was ready, especially as his write ups from Plymouth were favourable as well. Any shortcomings should have been picked up.

[/quote]

Given that Stuart Webber was able two loan Premiership keepers who are both being sold this summer for £10-15m, I''d say he fancied his chances (and was waiting) to be able to snap another one up.

Who knows if Ward was our top choice and the merry-go-round took us by surprise (Ward being lined up to replace Schmeichel).

Matthews is being give a go in pre-season, but I doubt the club thought he was ever in the same league as Gunn or Ward.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]He’s on £70k and week and I doubt looking to drop a division.

Add that onto his shaky form that has been going on since his nasty injury back in 2016 and he really isn’t worth touching at all.

Woodman would be my first choice.[/quote]
he''s been out on loan at Aberdeen and Kilmarnock so he is still at the stage where Pl football is not there yet
more importantly he has played at U16 through to U21 for England so should be up to Chanpionship level, and would make a good one season stop gap
Newcastle are also looking to cut back on having five keepers so he might be loaned out again

Woodman has been linked with us and a couple of other championship sides for some time now, after the whats been going on in the friendlies wouldnt be at all surprised if he joined for a season.

[quote user="glorywinordie"] Alot of keepers start of shaky but grown. Look at De gea [/quote]
Think you''re getting confused between Matthews and Rudd here... LDC will set you straight.

Is it a shame we didn''t keep Rudd to be fair?

The premise was, I believe, the belief that Remi would develop to be a better keeper than Rudd. Is that now the case? Rudd played 16 games in the Champ last season, conceding 17 goals and keeping 3 clean sheets. Not amazing stats I guess, but not woeful either.

An experienced keeper is essential and needs to be the No. 1 priory

We don’t necessarily need an experienced keeper what we definitely do need is a very good one.

Angus proved that last season.

If Thompson and Godfrey are in the match day squad, we may not need a home grown keeper.

Experienced keepers that are good and available are hard to come by.

If we get another keeper I can only see a promising youngster like Gunn was or a keeper that''s had bad times recently so unlikely to play at his club..

Would anyone take now Joe Hart? Fraser Forster? Lorus karius?

I was wondering where Hart might end up - seems to think far too much of himself to drop down to our level, and would presumably want a small fortune in wages, but imo if he chose ''well'' it could resurrect his career.

I genuinely feel that, if it were possible, we could do worse than bring back big John Ruddy on loan for the upcoming season. He knows what it takes to get promoted...

you would think Webber would have this all sorted out he must have known for 6 months ago if it was Remi or Another to be No1 this season as he knew Gunn was not going to be here

I do not like Webber but i am sure this is No1 on his list of things to have completed

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]
[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Because Ward was the only other keeper around?

Leicester moving for Ward might be why Norwich are now looking at targets in Germany. I’m increasingly convinced that Matthews will not be Norwich’s No. 1 at Birmingham.[/quote]
It seems likely from Davitt''s latest piece what he thinks:"Clarity with the keeper situation will come fairly rapidly from this point. Farke

must decided whether it is Remi Matthews or McGovern who gets the nod

for St Andrews. Or if a commanding, authoritive presence has to be

sourced from outside the current dressing room."The implication being that he doesn''t rate either McGovern or Matthews as commanding and authoritative. Which is not to say he knows or believes that Farke shares his view.
[/quote]
Farke''s latest comments certainly suggest he is not totally happy with either. He seems to equate them, when I doubt  (based on getting Gunn for last season) he believes McGovern is a top-six Championship keeper, so the implication could be that he doesn''t think Matthews is either. And he talks about mistakes having been made in pre-season, having acknowledged that "...in general, you can say you need a really outstanding goalkeeper to be successful."

Just seen Tim Krul rumour pop up on Twitter. Hope it’s true, always rated him.

He is homegrown. Was at Newcastle since he was 16/17 I think.

He suffered a nasty ACL injury back in 2015 and has only played 20 games since then - largely on loan at AZ I Holland.

Big, big question marks over whether he is good enough anymore. Brighton signed Jason Steele and David Button as they didn’t think Krul was good enough for their bench anymore.

I was excited by this as I assumed Krul was almost as good as he was a few years back. Reading through various forums etc. People seem to be saying he has turned terrible and seems to have lost all agility and enthusiasm for the game.

Brighton didn’t use him at all and he flopped big time on loan at Holland and was relegated to reserves there. Seems people think he should hang his gloves up.

Always loved Krul as a keeper, wouldn''t mind him here one bit. He''d be great as either back up or no1, and he''d certainly bring in a lot of experience to help the young keepers like Remi develop

"Brighton signed Jason Steele and David Button as they didn’t think Krul was good enough for their bench anymore. "

According to Krul they offered him an extension in April so think you''re off on this one...