Sign in to follow this  
Iwans teeth

Sean Raggett

Potentially leaves us a little light at CB. Surely means Klose won''t be leaving, which I think a few people thought might happen.

Klose, Hanley, Zimmermann and Godfrey. OK if we''re playing 2 CBs in a flat back 4, but not so good if we settle into playing well as a back 5 and one of them gets injured/suspended.

3 + plus Godfrey should be just enough, although Hanley and Klose don’t have great injury records. Zimmermann seems to be indestructible though.

I worry there isn’t a defender who is particularly good on the ball and no one with any pace, but on Norwich’s budget don’t feel they can afford to have 5 centrebacks just in case they choose to play 3 at the back for a sustained period.

I have a feeling Raggett won’t be seen in a competitive fixture for Norwich again, but the club will probably make a profit on him.

Iwans teeth wrote the following post at 25/07/2018 2:26 PM:

Norwich City defender Sean Raggett has joined Rotherham United on a season-long loan deal.
Was he a good buy, or are we begining to regret it?

Was he a good buy, or a good bye ?
I suspect we will know come Xmas whether his time away has helped or defined his level
I would suggest (and hope) it is the former

Are we able to recall him if we get some injuries?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Are we able to recall him if we get some injuries?[/quote]If Farke and the coaching team don''t think he''s up to it, then I think we''d see a fresh loan in rather than a recall for Raggett.
I''m with BYG, I think his time here is probably done unless he has a blinding season on loan at Rotherham and shows he can play at the required level and in-line with our approach consistently.

Is there really such a huge gap between non-League and Championship that the 5th tier''s outstanding defender can''t get a look in at Carrow Rd ?
I remember Dave Watson joining us from Liverpool''s reserves in 1984 without a first team game to his name and straightaway being parachuted into our top division defence alongside Steve Bruce. We all know how well that turned out.
Agreed that was the exception rather than the rule but surely Raggett could have been tested if only for a game or two ?

He was signed a full season ago and i am beginning to think Raggett is an ill fit similar to the Watkins saga.

Can’t loan players or recall them outside the transfer windows. He is gone until January at the very earliest.

The ‘Watkins saga’ sounds like a bad spy film.

Ultimately the ‘Watkins Saga’ made the club a pretty healthy profit, as will Raggett if he doesn’t work out. Hardly a ‘saga’.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]3 + plus Godfrey should be just enough, although Hanley and Klose don’t have great injury records. Zimmermann seems to be indestructible though.

I worry there isn’t a defender who is particularly good on the ball and no one with any pace, but on Norwich’s budget don’t feel they can afford to have 5 centrebacks just in case they choose to play 3 at the back for a sustained period.

I have a feeling Raggett won’t be seen in a competitive fixture for Norwich again, but the club will probably make a profit on him.[/quote]

I really don''t like the idea of Godfrey being drafted in as 4th choice centre back. He just played the majority of last season in defensive centre mid, learning the role, also if he has a chance to nail down the Defensive midfield position and succeeds it will really screw him and us over to bring him out that position just because injury dictates.

The club should be looking for the best young centre back they can find who has some developing to do and wont mind a season with the U23''s and some cup games but can potentially make the jump when required.

But he''s played the vast majority of games with our U23 side in a CB position IIRC, he''s apparently always been seen as a defender but with the ability to play in a DM style role, and if it''s felt that he''s better (or at least suits our style better) than Raggett, why would we spend money on another CB when we have Thompson, Tettey & Trybull who can all play DM - also Vrancic or Leitner could play there in more of a playmaker role as well.
I think Godfrey is capable in either position and we lose nothing by having him as 4th choice CB.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
But he''s played the vast majority of games with our U23 side in a CB position IIRC, he''s apparently always been seen as a defender but with the ability to play in a DM style role, and if it''s felt that he''s better (or at least suits our style better) than Raggett, why would we spend money on another CB when we have Thompson, Tettey & Trybull who can all play DM - also Vrancic or Leitner could play there in more of a playmaker role as well.
I think Godfrey is capable in either position and we lose nothing by having him as 4th choice CB.
[/quote]

Trybull is not good as the holding midfielder he imo is very much the old style "do all" midfielder, which is why he is excellent alongside Tettey. Tettey can not manage a full 46 game season anymore and we are yet to find out how Thompson holds up or even if he can get back on track. If Thompson can step back up (and maybe they have assessed he can) then fine. However every time I saw Godfrey (admittedly on tv) he looked brilliant in the midfield role with his mobility and athleticism, personally I was looking forwards to seeing him there much more than if he''s drafted into one of the CB positions. Also it''s not about whether he is better than Raggett, the management clearly believe he is (probably rightly), it''s about where he will be most influential for us. At the end of the day if Farke believes he''s best at CB that''s the sort of decision he''s paid and qualified to make, I just see us needing him in midfield more than at CB where we have three decent options already.

I think what happens with Raggett largely depends on where we are next season. Should we (hopefully) get promoted, then I think he’ll be sold. Should we still be in the Championship, and he has a storming season at Rotherham, then I can see him coming back. Either way, I’m pretty sure we’ll benefit from his purchase.

I’d tend to defer to the coaching team’s judgement on this. While it’s likely Raggett probably slightly regrets making the move to Norfolk now with hindsight, he’s still picking up a nice wage and the door remains open for him here if he progresses with Rotherham. There was some concern last January about cover at right back. When pinto injured himself, reed provided solid cover.

We were fairly fortunate with injuries throughout most of last season in the center back area. If that changes this season, Godfrey and perhaps even tettey can provide cover. Small bit of a calculated gamble but the club rightly don’t want too many players hanging around, waiting for injuries and pocketing wages. Hopefully this will be godfrey’s breakthrough season and I get the feeling we might see plenty of Thompson over the year too.